Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review of the Eastman 'Luftwaffe' jacket, NEW

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
seblucas...just measured it, 23" from top of zip in front to bottom of hem

stearman...totally fascinating stories and pieces of history.

i doubt 'nobody' asked your ww2 german pilot pals what kind of jacket they wore. just not you ;D

but speaking of knowing people, my former landlord, and friend actually, had fought in the rhodesian war for rhodesia hunting down guerillas and summarily executing them in the field in that conflict. a delightful fellow and professional architect, very well-educated, and totally racist (not to reflect on all rhodesians, he just happened to be quite, shall we say, 'white')...he knew i was jewish, and with a smile on his face said all sorts of things that some might find quite offensive, about jews, and those of other races...and meant them...still he was a friend

i never asked him what kind of watch he wore, but i collect and sell, the actual ordnance issued watch of the rhodesian soldiers in that conflict, an anfibio roamer...like the luftwaffe jacket, a bit of tres interessant history and style...not to eclipse more important issues involved, but i find the equipment interesting, whether others do or not

Fiver64

Practically Family
Just in a nutshell.........

Very interesting posting and comments. Truly a wonderful jacket too. As many other patrons here, I am always looking for the "perfect jacket." IMHO, it just doesn't exist. While you could argue that any maker's LW jacket is bang-on authentic (being that NONE were issue, and all private purchase with a myriad of variations......... I've sold and handled dozens of originals) it all comes right back to personal taste.

Let's face it. While we can all see the virtues of such a jacket, and can appreciate the finer details, we wear these to feel somehow better about ourselves, and the image we want others to see us. In fact, 99.9% of society would not know the difference (or care) if we were wearing an "original" A2 or a modern bastardization.

We leather-junkies must all just be a tad nuts in our constant pursuit of our own Holy Grails. Thank God there are places like TFL to ogle, vent and aire!!!! Gotta love it!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
(although obivously one would never be so ridiculous as to actually think it acceptable to wear a black SS uniform these days!)

A small piece of trivia here, the SS uniform was the handy work of non other than Hugo Boss. I actually know a few people back in Norway who won't buy anything Hugo Boss for this very reason.

m000m000

One of the Regulars
Smithy said:
I actually know a few people back in Norway who won't buy anything Hugo Boss for this very reason.

Do they also not buy BMW and Daimler-Benz vehicles, or anything with Zeiss Optics either? [huh]

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
m000m000 said:
Do they also not buy BMW and Daimler-Benz vehicles, or anything with Zeiss Optics either? [huh]

Well my wife's grandfather was hunted by the SS due to his involvement in the resistance. She says she's not terribly keen on wearing something which (perhaps only intrinsically) has a connection to the uniform of those who hunted down her grandfather. You might not, but I can understand why she might feel this way.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
der waffe

this discussion has thankfully pulled in all sorts of deeper meanings, along with discussion of the eastman waffe jacket, which, by the way, went flying last night for it's first use since my day with it at starbux upon it's arrival (it had been raining incessantly since i got it, and no, i don't wish to 'break it in' by drenching it like so many on here prefer...nor do i wish to dump it into a maytag or pound it with a meat mallet, as i've also heard seriously discussed here about aero breakin)

but back to deeper issues...

yes smithy, it is becoming more known, at least among us on the forum here, of hugo boss's making of the ss uniform, as well as that of the hitler youth

m000m000 asked the question, which on the surface sounds reducto ad absurdum, of whether people would boycott not only hugo boss, but mbz, bmw and zeiss optix...but having grown up around many jewish people not only whose loved ones spent time in concentration camps or died there, but around people who were still alive and had concentration camp tattoos on their forearms, i can say it is no reducto ad absurdum proposition to boycott mainstream german products today that had a ww2 past...many of the people i grew up around spit at the idea of having an mbz, or vw, etc

ironically, the car hitler designed, the vw, german people's car, became a lefty icon in the 60s...oh, yes, hitler had porsche design the volkswagen, but he actually gave the project it's now legendary profile when, at a dinner, he came up to ferdinand porsche sr. and briefly stated he was unhappy with the design on the project, then sketching out on a napkin a quick drawn representation of how the lines of the vw should look...the drawing added the now overly familiar beetleback. as they say, "let it be said, let it be done"...and it was

fiver64, your statement that:
We leather-junkies must all just be a tad nuts in our constant pursuit of our own Holy Grails

that is right on...i think we all try to do that...i know that in wristwatches i have my few holy grails...both a doxa and a zenith ww2 german issue steel cased 'dh' ordnance numbered military watch; a 60s/70s 6694 rolex all steel date model, and the lemania brit issued ATP ordnanced military watch of 1939-'42

as for jackets, the eastman LW is it...it has already started conforming to my shape, softening and wrapping around me, and feeling a part of me as i wore it for the first time last night to see a movie and a few other things...i did get looks i don't normally get, and i'm sure the people didn't even know why...but the jacket has quite a look, even if you don't have the historical, or leather jacket fanatic appreciation, that we do for what it is

concerning that no one waffe jacket is truly 'the' LW jacket over any other, so true...but, in a sense, we see that with u.s. ww2 a-2s, so many (less discernible) variations in those as well...

during my intense a-2 phase i had a girlfriend who i kept showing my new a-2s too, each from different eras and makers, each exhibiting differences all of us could point out obviously

but each time she would say, seriously, "isn't that the same jacket you showed me last week"

i'd think, "agHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Johnny thats a really cool looking jacket. Congratulations.
I think the evil look comes because the jacket looks so tremendous cool at
the same time as it looks classy and have the pure lines and perfect fit.

From the link posted however, I think I found one of the coolest jackets I have ever seen:
http://original-fliegerjacken.de/de/fliegerjacken_m422a.php
Click on the jacket and enjoy the popup image.

Now thats a perfect looking m422 imho. I need it!
Man thats a beauty of a jacket! I have looked back and forth between this and
Aeros version, and somehow this one just looks better.
739 euros is kinda out of my league tho.

You think Aeros m422a with a rust-golden collar would look as good?

blethook

One of the Regulars
I believe fliegerjacken's M422 is Aero's. One picture shows the label but the Aero name is "erased."

Many of their jackets actually are Aero's. Aero also sell one of their jacket: the cloth Kanal jacket...

GriffDeLaGriff said:
Johnny thats a really cool looking jacket. Congratulations.
the same time as it looks classy and have the pure lines and perfect fit.

From the link posted however, I think I found one of the coolest jackets I have ever seen:
http://original-fliegerjacken.de/de/fliegerjacken_m422a.php
Click on the jacket and enjoy the popup image.

Now thats a perfect looking m422 imho. I need it!
Man thats a beauty of a jacket! I have looked back and forth between this and
Aeros version, and somehow this one just looks better.
739 euros is kinda out of my league tho.

You think Aeros m422a with a rust-golden collar would look as good?

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
It can be the lighting and the fact that Aeros pictures are sadly not very good.
Aero has the option of gold collar on their jacket.
This is great news.

But why pay 739euro at fliegerjacken when they cost 480 euro at Aero [huh]
Thats $370 more.

garzo

One of the Regulars
johnnyjohnny said:
what i recommend is contacting them and finding out what their stock measurements are for the dimensions that are required by you (such as back) and then see what size they recommend, and ask for adjustments for whatever dimensions you prefer different...but i would keep that to a minimum, only something that is perhaps not right for you on a size that otherwise would work...i've tried micromanaging dimensions on an aero i bought, and i regretted it, not because it wasn't good, but i had created what mark moye at aero calls a frankenjacket...some like doing that...i would prefer to have the company's jacket with maybe a dimension or two at most altered to fit special needs...but that's me

good luck, you'll love it

Johnny, thanks for the helpful advice! I will indeed try to get as much info about Lewis' stock size. So far they've just asked me for my specs and measurements but it definitely helps to know what one is working with.

garzo

One of the Regulars
GriffDeLaGriff said:
But why pay 739euro at fliegerjacken when they cost 480 euro at Aero [huh]
Thats $370 more.

Yeah, most of the German sellers that offer Aero have not seemed to realize that they're selling their jackets for nearly twice as much as Aero with the current exchange rate. There is very little difference between the pound and euro at the moment.

I wish some of these sellers would lower their prices accordingly. I live in Germany but have always bought directly from the source, whether Eastman and Aero and would never go through a German seller. I recently checked out some Langlitz jackets at a shop in Berlin and they were selling for more than €2,000 (in U.S. dollars: $2,867). Yet you could order the same jacket from Langlitz for less than $1,000. Go figure.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Business model of Langlitz

From what I can tell is that Langlitz does not wholesale their jackets. What this means, if I am correct, is that a retailer would have to buy Langlitz product at full price, and then mark it up to make a profit. This may work in Japan because a japanese person would need to get fitted at a Japanese speaking local store. The store would fill the order for the buyer and act as the agent that ensures proper product admist a language barrier.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
"i need it"

the same time as it looks classy and has the pure lines and perfect fit---griffdelagriff

thanks griffer for your congrats on the jacket, i think you nailed it on the head with your analysis...as for your statement about why you have to get an ma422:

i need it

...i'd respond, that's why i got the eastman luftwaffe.

as for prices in different countries and different websites, i always search around and find which site will get me the best price on the same maker's jacket, exchange rates and natural differences are noteworthy

garzo...glad to help, but also remember, that a manufacturer such as lewis may have a different idea as to what a proper fit for your size is, that's why i started the thread on knowing what your armpit to armpit measurement is in your jacket...

re my dominator, in retrospect, lewis expected their jackets to fit a tad tighter than i prefer...at the time i didn't really know what the best armpit to armpit/circumference was for me...i think their 46 ended up being 25.5", tho i'm not sure...by the time i ordered eastman's luftwaffe i knew i needed a 26" minimum armpti to armpit to be happy with it, and that's what i told them...they said that was the 46 (in their sizing) and everything else worked measurement-wise as well...but just giving measurements to a company and trusting them is only good if you know how they expect their jackets to fit you...and if that coincides with how you like yours TO fit

if you are like me, and like them at least a half size over normal fitting standards, you need to have a baseline, and the armpit to armpit seems the measurement that accomplishes that, which does not mean the other measurements are not important as well, but a to a is central in my viewpoint

my oh my, i'm such a dogmatist, aren't i

by the way, the waffer is doing fine...stretching out and conforming very nicely...continues to get looks...don't know if people are just thinking, "who does that sumbuck think he is", or what, but it's truly a noticeable jacket...maybe it's that they think i'm going to pull out a knife and stab them :0

(which i'd nevah do)

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
One usually notice peoples looks more when you wear something new, or when you have a haircut. But if your proud of it and feel good about yourself - you glow. People see this and there is no better thing to wear then that cool shine of pride :D

But also - i think they look at you because:
1. Dude, thats a cool jacket. I´d look :D
2. You look *SHARP* in it. It really fits *you* and that ads to the glow man lol

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
aw shux, thanks griff

...however, perhaps i've been wearing my ww2 issue military watches too much lately, and my 'glow' is due to the radium in them, still ticking down it's half life as it heats me up

MKB

New in Town
johnny, there's nothing I can add to what everyone has more eloquently posted. All I can say is that it is an absolutely beautiful jacket and I wish I owned one. Really.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
danke

thanks so much MKB...i am certainly no shill for eastman...as we all know, they are wonderful, but i MUST say, that if you wish you owned one, you need to get one of these. i can guarantee that you will not be sorry, regardless of the price, which considering what i received, is an extremely fair price

if you need any sizing/fitting answers eastman is very consumer friendly, but i am also more than happy to give you my input on sizing regarding the jacket i received

thanks again...and...GET one!

;D

Corky

Practically Family
Johnny Johnny: See Kevin Brownlow's History of Silent Film

Johnny Johnny See Kevin Brownlow's History of Silent Film.

You wrote:
...as i believe i saw on the history (hitler) channel in shows about the ss and himler, the design of the ss uniforms were based on hollywood costume design for both their arrogant handsomeness and ability to inspire dominance and fear, as well as egotistical gratification on wearers...

I think this is covered in one of the latter episodes of Kevin Brownlow's epic PBS series on The History of The Silent Film.

Brownlow shows clips from Hollywood silent movies made during WWI and sure enough, many of the German WW2 cliches show up there first, years before the Nazis took power. My memory might be playing tricks on me but I seem to recall these included the stiff arm Zieg Heil salute plus other uniform details which mimicked the British uniform, but in black.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
good call

:eusa_clap

man, i hate these stupid little icons, like clapping boy above, but corkster you get applause...i saw the silent film documentary, amazing it was, and that may very well be where i got that specific cyrstalization of that information, though i feel i've heard aspects of it elsewhere...but i believe that may be where i heard it concisely stated

applause!

jac

Familiar Face
Nice shot Johnny- (my z looked like that for a long time...than I got busy!)

It's very hard to find someone who really, really knows the nuances of the z. All the emissions crap fouls the permormance of these gems terribly.
I suggest combing the zcar forums (and there are many) to find the most knowledgeable mechanic in your area.

Remember, many mechanics will 'consent to work on a car that old', but only someone with a real affection for them will be enthused and have all the parts sources at the ready...

(were we talking about horsehide jackets?).... :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass