Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Safari Express rifle pic thread

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
Barbie and I threw a few of these together from some scarp wood we had laying around from another project. They're for our Safari Rifle ammo. I put skids on them for hand trucking. Teddy Roosevelt would be proud.

SAFARIAMMOCRATES.jpg

Now you should brand the boxes with a branding iron to make them "authentic"... that or you could put a metal stencil on it and brush the top with a coat of black-powder... when you touch it off it etches the whole design at once, without the time needed to heat up an iron...

nevertheless, these boxes are ingenious! we should be sure someone brings a lot of those if we ever do a "Fedora Lounge Safari!"

James71

A-List Customer
Happy Days. The Cops have taken the money for my "Permit to Acquire" out of my account which means my Ruger No.1 in 303 british is on its way! Hopefully this week....

I know you yanks dont have a lot of time for the 303, but in the colonies it is still a very popular calibre and readily available.

Besides, in a No.1 a rimmed cartridge just feels right..... and the 303 is almost the ballistic twin to my favourite 308W.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
James,

I bet you are really looking forward to it! Actually I am a big fan of the .303, really any caliber from 1890-1940 or so. Just remember, "Never hunt with a cartridge younger than you are," as a buddy from another forum always says.

Renault

One Too Many
Happy Days. The Cops have taken the money for my "Permit to Acquire" out of my account which means my Ruger No.1 in 303 british is on its way! Hopefully this week....

I know you yanks dont have a lot of time for the 303, but in the colonies it is still a very popular calibre and readily available.

Besides, in a No.1 a rimmed cartridge just feels right..... and the 303 is almost the ballistic twin to my favourite 308W.

Ha!!!!! As Chasseur stated, some of us do appreciate the .303! If I were going to acquire another #1 it would be one of the .303's! The cartridge is just plain classy! If I ever get the time, I've got to finish the two, #1 Mk III project rifles. Or at least one of them ricki tik......

Renault

James71

A-List Customer
I picked it up this afternoon and its beautiful. A light, short little rifle with all the class that only an under-lever single shot can deliver. A real riflemans rifle. It definately has that safari rife fee to it.

(although my dangerous game rifle remains my Marlin 1895g in 45/70 - another american)

I just mounted a Redfield 3-9 on it and cant wait to give it a run.

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
I picked it up this afternoon and its beautiful. A light, short little rifle with all the class that only an under-lever single shot can deliver. A real riflemans rifle. It definately has that safari rife fee to it.

(although my dangerous game rifle remains my Marlin 1895g in 45/70 - another american)

I just mounted a Redfield 3-9 on it and cant wait to give it a run.

That's awesome James! Congrats on the acquisition!!!! Here's to many happy and successful hunts!!!!!

Renault

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
She's a beauty!!! Now for a good afternoon of shooting...

What's the range on it? The largest calibre rifle I've used was .22/77 Hornet, and that was at minimum range, (my grandpa was teaching me to shoot as a kid) so I'm unfamiliar [and curious] with "actual" (non-hollywood) ranges on .303 rifles..

J.D. Hunt

New in Town

James, some of us yanks also use the .303. So far I have fired the 180 gr soft point and the 173 gr FMJ through it. I would love to find some of the 215 gr FMJ bullets to reload and use also. As soon as I figure out how to upload a jpeg of my .303 work in progress, I will post it. J.D. Hunt

James71

A-List Customer
Range, as always, is up to the shooter, but the ballistics are almost the same as the 7.62 NATO round. You all call it the 308winchester.

180 grain soft points at about 2600 fps. I sight it in for 130metre zero which gives me a little under one inch high at 50m, the same at 100m and about 1 inch low at 150m.

I rarely shoot further than that. If I have to I allow for fall, but I prefer to hunt further and shoot nearer!

J.D. Hunt

New in Town
My #I Mk III, is still wearing battle sights. I hardly every use anything but the 200 meter setting. I prefer to sight in with a good working mid-range and do my own hold over or under.

Eric P

Familiar Face
I have always wanted to get a Ruger No 1, They are a sweet rifle. I was also impressed by the Rigby Single shot Stalker. I was fortunate enough to meet the gunsmith in Brookings Oregon, about 6 years ago,that was building them for Rigby. You could buy one direct from him before it was customized for Rigb for about a third of the price. I may be able to get one after I retire. http://www.johnrigbyandco.com/html/SingleShotStalkingRifle.html
SingleShotStalkingRifle_large.jpg

416rigby

New in Town
Some of my friends from the safe.

PICT0020.jpg

Top:
1959 FN Browning .375 H&H. This gem spent it's first 15 years in Africa(notice the blueing gone from the barrell due to "African carry") in the hands of a PH as a loner medium bore for clients. I have a letter from the PH documenting a long list of game taken with it, including elephant, cape buffalo, and as he puts tons of plains game. I will post the letter (still searching thru my junk hahaha)

#2 My Dad's Savage 99, in .300 Savage. I have been shooting deer and elk with it since 1964.

#3 An 0lder Ruger 77 (note the stock mounted front swivel post) in .416 Rigby. I bought it years ago to help a guy out that had lost his job and shot a Colorado Moose with it just because I had it hahaha.

#4 Ruger #1 in .416 Rigby. I had a #1 in .458 WM for years and put hundreds of full patch loads thru it, "picknick shooting" we call it. A friend wanted it so bad I gave it to him along with dies and all that stuff. Got to missing it so I bought the #1 .416 since I was set up to load for it. I load my .416s to .416 Weatherby Mag specs so they dont really shoot with that "vintage feel" It mounts my homemade "ghost ring" sight, made from a Ruger rear scope ring and a modified front blade with a giant flat bead.

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
PICT0020.jpg

Top:
1959 FN Browning .375 H&H. This gem spent it's first 15 years in Africa(notice the blueing gone from the barrell due to "African carry") in the hands of a PH as a loner medium bore for clients. I have a letter from the PH documenting a long list of game taken with it, including elephant, cape buffalo, and as he puts tons of plains game. I will post the letter (still searching thru my junk hahaha)

#2 My Dad's Savage 99, in .300 Savage. I have been shooting deer and elk with it since 1964.

#3 An 0lder Ruger 77 (note the stock mounted front swivel post) in .416 Rigby. I bought it years ago to help a guy out that had lost his job and shot a Colorado Moose with it just because I had it hahaha.

#4 Ruger #1 in .416 Rigby. I had a #1 in .458 WM for years and put hundreds of full patch loads thru it, "picknick shooting" we call it. A friend wanted it so bad I gave it to him along with dies and all that stuff. Got to missing it so I bought the #1 .416 since I was set up to load for it. I load my .416s to .416 Weatherby Mag specs so they dont really shoot with that "vintage feel" It mounts my homemade "ghost ring" sight, made from a Ruger rear scope ring and a modified front blade with a giant flat bead.

Classics!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, these are RIFLES!!!!!!!!

Renault

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner