Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Search For "Fonz" Style Jacket

Technonut

Practically Family
Thanks to this forum for introducing me to Langlitz Leathers.... I have been searching for a "Fonzie" style jacket for years, and Langlitz seems to have the goods:

4320LL20Flight20Jacket.jpg

9820LL20Goat20Flight20Jacket.jpg

Original Fonz jackets:

fonzjacket.jpg

fon.jpg

Now, to decide between a strong, supple goatskin... or cowhide. I'm not attempting to totally duplicate the jacket, just a close, general style. I would like the Langlitz collar a bit larger though.... ;)

EDIT: I am familar with the Aero "Happy Days" jacket... I purchased one, and ended up sending it back. It just did not "do it" for me... :( Hopefully the Langlitz will... :)

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Cooper put out an officially liscensed Fonz jacket in the 70's, they show up on eBay fairly regularly. I had one when I was a kid. I saw one at a vintage shop recently and was impressed with the jacket's overall fine quality. And of course the patern is a dead ringer for the original.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
MudInYerEye said:
Cooper put out an officially liscensed Fonz jacket in the 70's, they show up on eBay fairly regularly. I had one when I was a kid. I saw one at a vintage shop recently and was impressed with the jacket's overall fine quality. And of course the patern is a dead ringer for the original.

I had that same one. I think I made my Mom buy it for me at Montgomery Wards. I think the lining was patterned with the words "The Fonz". I guess that I was living in the past even when I was a kid!

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
There is a Cooper Fonz on eBay right now that would probably fit a size 38/40, but I will refrain from posting the link to the auction due to a crybaby rule forbidding the posting of "live" auctions.

Shazam

New in Town
Hi, new here and I too have been looking for a Fonzie jacket. I was wondering if, now that the first season is out, if someone could post some screen caps of fonzie and his jacket, maybe one were we might be able see the label or something. I know the jacket changed early on from black to brown to tone down Fonzie's "hoodlum" appearance. BTW if that auction has ended, could you post the link so I could see the pics?

-Shazam

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
Aero not even close

I checked the Aero photos. It's basically a Highwayman with wool cuff and bottom. The collar shape doesn't even come close to the original model. I wouldn't recommend that jacket if you are really after the authentic look.

James Miller

One of the Regulars
the fonz jacket

I own four of the The fonz Jackets made by Cooper Sportsware I would like to buy a few more in large if any one knows were I can get one please let me know. I collect leather jackets I have Close to 30 jackets some are a-2 and some are 40's & 50's Motocycle bomber jackets. I have four that are Us wings A-2's And they are pretty good for the money. Too many different makers to list.

Edward

Bartender
Shazam said:
Hi, new here and I too have been looking for a Fonzie jacket. I was wondering if, now that the first season is out, if someone could post some screen caps of fonzie and his jacket, maybe one were we might be able see the label or something. I know the jacket changed early on from black to brown to tone down Fonzie's "hoodlum" appearance. BTW if that auction has ended, could you post the link so I could see the pics?

-Shazam

Amazing, isn't it, just how much they seem to have been running scared of making the Fonz look like a bad boy... I guess the status of the black leather jacket has changed considerably since even the 70s, but I always found it almost comical that they were so careful with something which - although stylish - always seemed rather tame in the bad boy stakes. If memory serves, he wasn't even allowed to wear leather at all during the first season - I have a recollection of a baby blue Harrington type?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Funny, the image in my mind was a kind of shiny smooth style that looks like the repros. The oic of the original does not look anything like I remember. Frankly, I would never consider wearing that original jacket. I would wear he repro ones though. They are cool.

So what did he wear? Was it vintage, or a seventies jacket? I would guess seventies adn they did not use much if any other vintage in their costuming.

Edward

Bartender
Could have been a 70s one that looked to an untrained (or underfunded ;) ) eye to be more or less the same as a 50s design? I've seen a few things made in the 70s but set in the 50s, and they mostly seem to have a very "70s" version of a 50s look. Grease is a paradigm example. OTOH, though, if Happy Days was being shot in the 70s, surely 50s stuff would have been that much more readily available (the way early 90s "vintage" is now)?

Technonut

Practically Family
James Miller said:
I own four of the The fonz Jackets made by Cooper Sportsware I would like to buy a few more in large if any one knows were I can get one please let me know. I collect leather jackets I have Close to 30 jackets some are a-2 and some are 40's & 50's Motocycle bomber jackets. I have four that are Us wings A-2's And they are pretty good for the money. Too many different makers to list.

Wow, This thread came up from the bottom... :) James Miller.. I have a Cooper Fonz jacket that I am pretty sure is a large.. ;) I may be willing to part with it in the near future.

Edward.. Since I posted this thread, I came across an almost dead stock condition leather jacket from the 50's that screams Fonz jacket to me. It was too small, but I purchased it anyway to be duplicated in my size sometime. (hopefully soon ;) ) I will post pics of it when I get the chance.. :)

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Technonut said:
Wow, This thread came up from the bottom... :) James Miller.. I have a Cooper Fonz jacket that I am pretty sure is a large.. ;) I may be willing to part with it in the near future.

Edward.. Since I posted this thread, I came across an almost dead stock condition leather jacket from the 50's that screams Fonz jacket to me. It was too small, but I purchased it anyway to be duplicated in my size sometime. (hopefully soon ;) ) I will post pics of it when I get the chance.. :)
Please let me Know I would Like to Have A large fonzie Jacket. I collect jackets and I would really Like to buy the one you are talking about. I have About 30 or so old and new A-2 and bomber jackets. thanks:eek:

James Miller

One of the Regulars
I"m ready to purchase!

If your willing to part with the large Fonzie jacket Iwould like to buy it and I'm willing to throw one of my various types of leather bomber jackets to help sweetin the deal.

James Miller

One of the Regulars
I'm still looking for a large Fonzie Jacket

If any one is willing to sell one The fonz leather jacket I would like to buy another one. I just order a Aero (Happy Days) in Dark brown FQHH and I can't wait till it arrives. any one out there ever bought one . Let me know if you like yours.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
I wore this one to work for last halloween with slicked back hair and BluesBrothers glasses and people called me Fonz for the most part, also got Robert DeNiro, John Travolta and a few others...

Biker1.jpg

Makes me look like i have a pot belly because of those deep side pockets but it fits well...got it for $25 at a goodwill store, brand name Mirage...? i couldn't find it anywhere on the net...[huh]

James Miller

One of the Regulars
still looking for a fonz jacket.

I have been looking and looking but know one wants to give them up. Well I have four of them. One is a size 38-40 and one is a 42 and the other two are size 44 in perfect shape. I can't wear the 38-40 and the 42 I can zipit up but it's tight. I will be getting rid of them soon because I just order a Aero a Happy days Jacket and I can't wait to get it. Does anyone know how long it takes to get a Aero jacket once it's been ordered, if so please let me know. the two size 44's are keepers so I can't let them go.

If any one Is getting rid of a fonzie jacket in large please let me know. I need it for my collection. I have over 30 jackets some are A-2's and some are vintage leather motocycle bomber jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21