Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Me Your Jacket Accoutrements

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That patch completely blew me away. I spent a good part of my childhood sitting at a table making model airplanes while listening to the Ventures. Ah, that Revel glue! Siggy, where are you on the east coast? And Nick, you continue to impress with your taste in '60's culture.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
That patch completely blew me away. I spent a good part of my childhood sitting at a table making model airplanes while listening to the Ventures. Ah, that Revel glue! Siggy, where are you on the east coast? And Nick, you continue to impress with your taste in '60's culture.

Ventures and model planes? That's the life!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Great patch!! Great band!!

Thanks. Agreed...those guys were "my" Beatles. I don't know why, but they just had a big impression on me growing up. When I got into leather jackets, after finding out the Japanese were really into vintage Americana and leather jackets, I had to laugh, because the Japanese also worship the Ventures.

Edward

Bartender
I was on the bike/rock n roll scene during the late 70s and on through the 1980s but dont ever recall seeing a perfecto style jacket like Brando's. They kind of re-released The Wild One in the 1980s, I first saw it at the Scala, Kings Cross London around 1981, then that style of jacket was everywhere. No Horsehide jackets unless they were imported originals available from Flip and American Classics of course. Now of course that style and also the engineer boots, is dominant creating a kind of hybrid rocker with the younger set.
As you will see by pictures and film clips, there was no real uniform, bikers wearing a combination of leathers, wax jackets and sheepskins of varying quality. Some wore fishermans socks, others white silk scarves etc, some even rode Cafe racer style bikes, though most rode ordinary motorcycles. A few of the more well off may have had a Gold Star but that was a semi professional racers bike and very expensive.
Modern days we tend to pick out the best items and steryotype the look so that the typical rocker look is a Lancer jacket covered in pin badges, with high boots and fishermans socks, a white scarf and a Triton. Some, like my training officer during the 1970s was a 60s 'Rocker' He had the jacket with a tiger painted on the back and a few badges but could not afford the bike so him and his other biker mates were known to the coffee bar crowd as Bus stop Bikers.

It's funny looking at a scene that hearkens back to something you remember first time around and seeing the selectivity of revivalism. I've seen the eighties thing and the hair metal thing brought back round as well as the grunge thing, to an extent - funny how it's only the better ideas they choose to remember! The Brit rocker thing seems to have fused together with a more American rockabilly culture these days, producing something great, if not exactly "how it was". Tend to favour the Americana myself, though I'm fast developing a notion for a Lewis Lightning. Maybe I'll trawl Camden Town for an Aviakit or a copy along those lines...

Here it is!! Handpainted leather patch by our own SIGGY (Johnny). Really pleased with it. My favorite band.
View attachment 18843
Based off of the album (sorry no beautiful lady on the patch):
View attachment 18844

Nice! Fun band. I discovered them via.... I think it was Johnny Ramone, of all people.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Look closely at the headstock!
image.jpg

4444Design

One of the Regulars
This is my Aero C3:

View attachment 18535 View attachment 18537 View attachment 18536

I added a perfect reproduction wool patch of the 364th BS squadron (made by "6th of June") which is a squadron I've been partial to for some time as, originally, I felt that it looked like Star, my faithful old dog (who sadly passed away two weeks ago aged 14 1/2 ) - and the squadron also hailed from nearby Northampton, which was my old stomping ground before I came out here - and I paid their war memorial a visit recently too. They were an outstanding squadron in an equally oustanding bomb group.
The patch was given a perfect border by the folks at Aero (now at AL) too, as the patch had unfinished edges.

I wanted to paint on this C3, but sheepskin can be very crinkly and isn't a good base for that (as I previously discovered on my ELC C3!) and I had a piece of russet HH that was once kindly given to me by Gary at ELC and I asked for it to be sewn on a front panel - so I could add "Flak Magnet" (a humorous jab at my girlfriend at the light to moderate flak I can often catch around our house, even on clear days and when none is forecast!), painted in a nice 1940s font in acrylics and D-Mo is my nick-name from her and her family, so I made the initials like USAAF lettering and used the 1943 "star and bar" as a hyphen.
There's space to add something else, but I never have, fearing that it'd look "over-done".

Finally I added Star's old dog licences for the zip pullers - and her old ID tag and rabies vaccination tag (expired) is the main zip puller. Real dog tags !

that's one real nice vest - even the connection with your dog adds to the character of that nice piece

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks 444 ! That's kind of you to say so … the vest also fits perfectly over my ELC RW (redskin) B-6 and I think it looks rather good that way - and I'm looking forward to trying it out that way this Winter ...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of the best documentaries on '60's southern California hotrod culture is the one about Ed "Big Daddy" Roth. I think it's called "Tales of the Ratfink." Also, I think it's unforgivable that here on the FL you never see anything about Eric Von Zipper and the Rats (and Mice) from the old beach party movies. They were probably the single most important reason the Perfecto went out of style.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I bought a white perfecto on ebay after 47 beers at the rugby. Paid far too much and have never worn it, or bothered trying to sell it on....so, I'm using it now as a pin jacket. It's actually pretty cool, and does fit me, I was in an Evel Knievel kind of mood at the time....anyway, I've got a little Langlitz pin, and a super cool pin from Good Art in Hollwood, sterling silver. He is a genius, and does lovely stuff. Anyway, I will be adding more nick nacks to it as time goes by
image.jpg
image.jpg

Desert Rider

One of the Regulars
Bones

I have polished bone fragments from an ancient mastodon, as well as a tooth from a walrus, on my Johnson Leathers and Vanson Enfield jackets.

Attachments

• P1020186 (640x480).jpg
    P1020186 (640x480).jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 137
  • P1020187 (640x480).jpg
    P1020187 (640x480).jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 133
  • P1020189 (640x480).jpg
    P1020189 (640x480).jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 145
  • P1020191 (640x480).jpg
    P1020191 (640x480).jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 153
  • P1020188 (640x480).jpg
    P1020188 (640x480).jpg
    149 KB · Views: 131

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Fashionable late to this party, but I wanted to share mine.

Firstly, dice on my G-1 (thanks bn1966).
photo-267.JPG

Secondly, I have a vintage sterling silver Hula girl on my LW G-1.
photo-266.JPG

Finally, I have a Japanese lady doing something naughty in the bath on another G-1.
photo-265.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran