Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

BoPeep

Practically Family
I made the full-skirt version of Simplicity 3673 last summer, Jenniferose7! I had plans to make the slim-skirted style in wool for this winter, but that turned out to be one winter project too many. lol I put the center seam on the fold as I didn't see any reason to have a seam there. What do you think? Less sewing, less seams is better in my book.

IMG_2194.jpg
IMG_2196.jpg

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Ah very clever BoPeep! I'm so used to center front seams in vintage patterns that I just did it without thinking. It's a nice clean look without it though. And I would've saved a ton of thread if I omitted it because I overlocked alll the raw edges inside. Oh well, next time!

I plan to make that style when I decide to revisit the pattern.

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
HI, Bopeep. I happened to notice your location as rural Wisconsin. I'm in north western Wisconsin myself and was just curious what part of Wis. you're in. I tried to figure out how to send an email or message to another member but no matter what I tried I couldn't get it too work. The only thing I could figure out was to post a reply. I admire your sewing talent.

BoPeep

Practically Family
FountainPenGirl said:
HI, Bopeep. I happened to notice your location as rural Wisconsin. I'm in north western Wisconsin myself and was just curious what part of Wis. you're in.

Hi and Welcome to the Lounge! Nice to find someone "local." lol I'm southeast of Stevens Point about 50 miles.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Finished this blouse which I will wear under an off white linen suit. I adapted it from a dress pattern which I will make. This was really just a tester as I needed to see how it would fit (I had to alter it). I made it with some white cotton I had and dyed it Dylon's 'Rosewood Red'. It actually came out lighter than it should have according to the packet!

I probably won't wear it with the belt but I made one since I had to dye it all together. It also doesn't sit on the mannequin the way it does on me.

001-1.jpg

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Mis Sis, love the blouse.

Please share dying tips. I have a couple of things that I like but colour doesn't work on me very well. I thought about dying them but I know nothing about this.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Lauren, I will make up the dress too - in pale green cotton voile which I have stashed away. (I got the pattern from Lauren, folks!)

Daisy, dying depends on a few different things. Best to dye pure cotton as other fabrics don't take the colour so well. If you want to overdye things, best to strip the original colour out first, as colour mixing rules apply eg/ if it's yellow and you dye with blue dye you will get green etc and patterns will not usually be covered over.

Be aware that if your garment is made with polyester thread, this won't dye, although your fabric may take some colour dependant on the mix of poly/cotton/other content.

Also you need to make sure your garment is well washed to remove any stains or dressing and I have found it best to not use any fabric conditioner as this seems to make it patchy.

Method is another point: if doing cool/hand dying ie/not boiling in a pot or doing in a washing machine, you need to make sure the dye is well mixed before you immerse your garment and to keep moving it about constantly for at least 15 minutes and then stir regularly for about 45 more minutes for the colour to take.

Rinsing well takes forever but is important as it is surprising how much dye rinses away. I do it under running water then usually several times in a bucket too.

Overall, I am disappointed in the 'new' (been a few years now) range of Dylon dyes. They have discontinued lots of really nice period type colours but the dying method is pretty much the same as it has always been.

There are full instructions on the pack, so don't feel too at sea. Read it through throughly and give yourself plenty of time to do it. It can take a good half day by the time you go through all the processes.

BoPeep

Practically Family
Great fabric kamikat! Sometimes I feel that cherries can be overdone as a stereotypical '50s motif, but I just can't resist them. I have several cherry-printed outfits . . . not to mention my kitchen . . . lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn