Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

The Shirt

Practically Family
Lauren - you have such a great eye. I love all 3 of those projects. I hope that someday I'll be that talented. I sometimes muse tht my working mom didn't pass on the skills like sewing and knitting that I would have enjoyed as a young woman. Now I have to fugure them all out on my own.

Thanks for the encouragement evryone. I cannot wait to try another one this weekend.

ShannonMB

New in Town
New Blue Dress

I've tried my hand at another merging of a shirt pattern and a dress pattern. I've had the polka-dot fabric for sometime, but was waiting for the perfect pattern. (Please ignore the face I'm making...and my horrible horrible posture....:p )

blue.jpg

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
ShannonMB- I really like the job you did merging the two patterns! Which patterns did you use?

Lauren- gorgeous dresses! Where do you find your fabric? It's always so period appropriate! (and gorgeous!)

ShannonMB

New in Town
New Blue Dress

I used the front and sleeves of the top pattern, and the skirt from the dress pattern. I improvised the back. Since the fabric was sheer, I had to use a solid blue as an liner.

patterns.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Looks great ShannonMB! Very cute!

Thanks a lot, gals! The Shirt, I didn't have my mom teach me much either :) It was mostly from my cousin and at school where I learned. And I still learn more all the time! My newest favorite trick is thread marking to get the pocket placement and pleats just right!

Cherry_Bombb, I got the florals in the garment district in LA, the blue was only $1 a yard and the black was $3. The plaid was on clearance at Joann for $1.50 a yard :D

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ShannonMB, your dress looks great! I wanted to send you a private message to chat a bit, but you haven't made enough posts here yet to be able to PM.

Not only do we share a name, but I too am from Eastern WA :)

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Shannon MB - I love that dress pattern- just got it the other day. And that is a GREAT combination! It suits you so well! Great choice of fabric/ trims as well!

Lauren- Great finds! I always hit the clearance section of Joann's first. I always find the best hidden treasures there!

By the way, has anyone seen the new rayons at Joann's that just came out not too long ago? Their new spring and nautical prints this season are VERY retro inspired. I'm in love- I may have to use my 50% off coupon soon!!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh I love that brown number Lauren.

Yay Piping! :D

I got out an old shirt pattern that I had cut out over a year ago! Why? Well I really really wanna make paints, but Im poor and have no good material to make any, so Im going through my old stuff to see what I can make. :eek:

Vogue7650.jpg

I tried SO HARD to get the diagonals to match up when I cut it out that logn ago lol it was the only reason I chose the fabric!

front-4.jpg

Im not a big fan of sleeveless, so I made another with sleeves.

front-3.jpg

The details can be seen here.

LD

Snookie

Practically Family
Lauren said:
Mccall 3686 from 1940:
mccall3686s.jpg

So YOU'RE the one who got that pattern from Vintage Martini's end-of-year blowout sale, huh? ;) I saved the pic.

Nice stuff, love the piping too. The blue floral one is darling, what kind of fabric did you use? It looks like it has a nice drape.

Lauren

Thanks! Actually, I got the pattern from ebay! Pretty cool there's another one floating around. And the blue floral is a lightweight cotton. I love using cotton for dresses because it's so easy to sew and care for!

Great blouses, Lady Day! I especially love how you made the long sleeve one from the same pattern.

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
I'm so excited that I just had to post, even thought I don't have photos yet (my batteries died :().

I'm going to see Phantom of the Opera next weekend, and wanted to make myself a nice evening style dress. Unfortunately, I didnt' have much time and no money to go and buy a new pattern. I was originally going to make an Edwardian inspired outfit, with a long a-line skirt, a blouse and a waistcoat, but after finishing the waistcoat yesterday I HATED it! Don't get me wrong, it's a nice waistcoat, it just really doesn't suit me!! So I was faced with a dilemma of what to do with the half finished skirt (I stuffed up the waistband so hadn't yet attached it) in the short time I had. So I grabbed out a few of my fashion books and browsed through the 40's and 50's sections looking for something that could make use of my skirt. I really wanted something 40's as I wanted to do victory rolls in my hair.

I ended up finding a photo of this beautiful 40's dress, with a long a-line skirt and a pretty bodice. So I set about re-creating it!! I'm absolutely ecstatic about how it turned out, I think it looks pretty close :D I made it out of a chocolate brown charmeuse satin, and it's going to have a caramel coloured chiffon sash - yummy!

I will be getting new batteries tomorrow, so I'll be able to take a photo of the original photo, and also of my new dress! I can't wait to share!! :D

Kim_B

Practically Family
Cherry_Bombb said:
n108500152_30037543_4385.jpg

Andy LaPlegua of Combichrist wearing my custom shirt on the cover of Zillo Magazine- It also made an appearance into his music video Get Your Body Beat- don't worry, I don't expect many people to know who this person is!
No 'effing way...that is the coolest thing I've read in a while!! And I know who Combichrist is - saw them in concert year before last - it was pretty kick *ss.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Thank you! It was alot of fun to step outside the box. When I was designing the shirt he gave me directions like: Think Mad Max Thunderdome, Remember that I'm going to be covering it in fake blood daily as I do my makeup, Make it look decomposed.

Andy does put on a pretty intense show! I go and visit him every time he comes to town.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Lauren said:
The Shirt, that looks fabulous! Especially for your first project. You don't even want to SEE my first. Neither do I, for that matter... hehehe.

A few new dresses! The last two still need hems but are done other than that :D
Mccall 3686 from 1940:
mccall3686s.jpg

mccall9053m3.jpg

Hollywood 991 from 1941 (didn't take a pic of the pattern)
hollywood991m4.jpg

Simplicity 3489 from 1940:
simplicity3489s.jpg

simplicity3489m1.jpg

Lauren, these are absolutely beautiful! I love the fabric you've chosen and all of the details. It's seeing posts like this that encourage me to take up sewing. I would love to have simple dresses like the Simplicity 3489 (one on the left) for everyday wear. Gorgeous work! :eusa_clap

Lauren

Thank you so much! The Simplicity one was the hardest, unfortunately. Super cute, but such a pain! Of course I didn't make it any easier on myself when I descided to add piping ;)
Thanks so much!

MJrules

One of the Regulars
Nothing in comparison to what Lauren made :)eusa_clap I want them all! I'm still working up courage to sew sleeves :p) but here's a simple pencil skirt:
DSCN1014.jpg

"Keen" faux welt pockets
DSCN1009.jpg

The pattern
DSCN1017.jpg

Easy enough so I might make it in more fabrics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic