Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
They look real nice Lo, and I ran across the same problem with the crotch. I find I had to cut an inch more out of it to get it to a roomy level.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You may also want to cut a bit away at that front seam as well, where you joint the front. I learned the hard way that that area is troublesome too for fit.

Man, pants, easy to sew, SO HARD to fit :eusa_doh:

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

I posted this in the art thread in the display case, but I figure you gals might like a gander too.

A cookie to the first to guess all the Ladyfriends. :p

LD

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Lady Day said:

I posted this in the art thread in the display case, but I figure you gals might like a gander too.

LD
Lady Day, you are so talented!!! I can still only draw stick figures. And even those guys are not so good! lol lol lol lol

I think I see Kamikat in there...

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
Sophia la shok I only use the overlocker because I have it :p I first got taught to zigzag the edges (which is what I did for my mars bar dress as I couldn't be assed dragging my overlocker out :p) or get my mum to overlock it for me on her industrial machine (which, by the way, I've been petrified of ever since she cut her thumb badly on it!). But there are other methods, like binding, french seaming (which I did on the sash centre back seam), rolled hems etc. There's lots of different ways!! So just jump in! :D

Thank you so much Deadpan Diva!

Laughing Magpie, are you by any chance on StarfirePhoenix's livejournal? I recognise the username and I'm sure it's from her LJ :D

Kamikat I'm totally with you there! My mum has an industrial overlocker, and she always uses the same colour as whatever she's sewing. But she also tends to work in one colour at a time (she makes square dance and rock and roll outfits) so it's easier for her. Personally, I use either black or white. It means I only have to change between two colours (and I try to do the same thing as my mum if I'm working on multiple projects). It might not be perfect, but it saves me time and stress :p And your dress looks great!!

Lolita Haze, the pants are great! I hate making pants!! I admire anyone who can wear white!

Lady Day, that is a gorgeous piece of artwork! You are so talented! :D

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
All your things are so inspirational! Great to see all the pictures.

I pre-washed 3 pieces of fabric last night, hopefully I can get some cutting done tonight and tomorrow. I really must train myself to pre-wash as soon as I buy the fabric so I can skip straight to the fun stuff.

I'll sew up all the black items at once, all the blue items at once, etc. One of them is a 1956 sundress that I'm really excited about--I'll try to post a picture of the pattern when I get home. Also, there's a dress I lost on ebay that I've wanted to copy and I found a pattern in my stash that's perfect! I'll try to post that too.

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
Last_Chael: Yes! I am on her LJ flist. Feel free to stop by and friend me if you like! My username is laughingmagpie there. I'll look you up too :)

AND on topic: I've been struggling with finding a pair of pants as well. I love those you made, LolitaHaze - I looked back a couple pages and couldn't find which pattern you used?

I'm working on the pants from Simplicity 3688 and I think they're going well. I recently made Eva Dress 1930s pants. It's the one in the front here:

000d8ap0

They are fun and I call them my DRAMA pants, but they aren't really a pattern I'm going to use everyday. They are too bulky just below the waist, and the hem sweep is fantastically huge!

000eqqpw

Jen

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Women's pants revival?

It looks like there is a recent upswing of women making repro pants! I think everyone's inspirations are rubbing off on one another?
I'm glad to see you are taking on the challenge- I've made them for years and they are frighteningly easier than men's pants. I personally recommend using wool gabardine- it still hangs like a velvet curtain.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
dakotanorth said:
It looks like there is a recent upswing of women making repro pants! I think everyone's inspirations are rubbing off on one another?
I'm glad to see you are taking on the challenge- I've made them for years and they are frighteningly easier than men's pants. I personally recommend using wool gabardine- it still hangs like a velvet curtain.

What do you recommend for someone who is allergic to wool? I can wear store-bought lined pants, but I can't handle the wool yardage to make them (or knit with wool yarn, either).

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
<<What do you recommend for someone who is allergic to wool? I can wear store-bought lined pants, but I can't handle the wool yardage to make them (or knit with wool yarn, either).>>

Kamikat,

I can't wear wool, either, so I usually stick with a rayon suiting. It still has the right drape, without the itch factor.
I picked up a good bit of it at Joann Fabrics on sale a month or so back (they clearanced out the winter suiting to make room for the spring suiting).

Sunny

One Too Many
I agree; for non-wool suiting, rayon seems to be the nicest. You're looking for stuff that drapes nicely and doesn't wrinkle easily. And unless even the tiniest bit of wool bothers you, you might consider some of the blends. There are a lot of wool blend suitings, with anywhere from 10% to 90% wool.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
kamikat said:
What do you recommend for someone who is allergic to wool? I can wear store-bought lined pants, but I can't handle the wool yardage to make them (or knit with wool yarn, either).

kami, i've made pants out of a brushed cotton/poly blend i bought at Hancock Fabrics. it's been one of their staple-type fabrics they've always carried. it washes easy, doesn't wrinkle too badly, and even though it's a poly blend, is really similar to the fabric this pair of pants (homemade in the 40s) is made out of.
2326111000_983799f672.jpg

i also have a pair of linen trousers, and a pair that i believe are rayon gabardine. i know certain types of wool fabric are less itchy than others, and a nice gab is def the least itchy i've ever come across. YMMV but you might not have to rule it out completely.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
dakotanorth said:

I think we've maxed out on skirts, or at least I have. Pants are a challenge to get that drape just right...and think of all the playsuits, overalls, and bib thingies you can make! :D

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Lady Day said:

LD

COOL! I think I've got all but two of them. Really neat idea!

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I didn't make this, my mom did but I thought it belonged here :) It's not the best picture of me

beepbeep.jpg

It's from Simplicity 3823, I think I saw someone had used it earlier in this thread ^-^

xxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace