Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pink, for the last time, stop hitting on me. :p

My girl crush belongs to Shooshoo Baby.

And to answer your question, o'girl crush of mine, the pockets were my own idea. I like the inset ones better, that way I dont have too much bulk around the side seams.

LD

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
swingtimegal and Lady Day, thanks so much for the compliments on the jacket I made. For a first try, I am happy!

Lady Day, I am loving all the button action on the pants. Fab!

ShortClara

One Too Many
Lady Day, Lolita, Lotus, Pink, Dolly, wow and wow! Such cute stuff! I'm dying for a dress form so I can really get going, but we may move soon and I figure I'll wait so we don't have to move it lol

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I´ve been a bad bad poster over here for a while....

Lolita I love that dress!!! It looks totally fab!!!!!

Pink Dahlia, that dress is truely priceless! I love the lace on it!

Lotus: I can´t believe it´s your first one! It looks really pro!

Lady Day: The trowsers with buttons are to die for. I really really wanna do some of those, too! but I just hate to make buttonholes!

Jupiter: The skirt is great and the colour suits you!

I´m a proud owner of my own home-made ductape dress-form, so here I go....

My latest creations:
a super easy 50s skirt!:

A essemble of buttericks 40s skirt and a modern day jacket. I just need a cute belt for it now. It´s not pressed, but it looks really pretty when it is:

50s neckholder dress:

A playsuit that I made of a 60s pattern. It´s not totally finished yet (I got to take in at the waist a bit and replace the neckholder as they are just not right yet, but I think I can do that in time for summer ;-)

A very simple petticoat with plastic flowers attached that I wanna use for a spring shooting. I have to cut off the little string with that I attached them but apart from that I´m done. I plan to wear it with a white vintage bustier that I have, green-sprayed hair, glitter in my face and some leftover flowers in my hair. Sort of high-fashionish with a vintage-feel lol

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Here is my latest creation. I copied this dress:
ScreenHunter_02Mar271543.jpg

And here is my version:
blackdress002.jpg

And here it is with maid accessories I made for it:
blackdress001.jpg

All of you have sewn some beautiful things! I am always sewing but I rarely get photos of it all!

Samantha

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I made a pencil dress in navy with white panels in the front and back (they are straight, but looks crooked because of the way I am standing to try and take a picture :) ) I am superproud of finally getting the fit right, since I had to alter the pattern A LOT because I am 3 different sizes to fit the regular pattern.

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
I am going on a cruise and I wanted a cute Navy dress to wear, of course I couldn't find any...It's the reason I took up sewing. I made an adorable dress and I'm so proud of it! I will have to post a picture later, I still need to hem it.

I have a question for the ladies who use patterns, what's the trick with the sizes? I go buy the measurements not the sizes and every dress I have made turns out to be WAY too huge, and when I go to take it in I always get really fustrated and I end up never finishing it. Anyone have any advice?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
ValerieAmelia said:
I have a question for the ladies who use patterns, what's the trick with the sizes? I go buy the measurements not the sizes and every dress I have made turns out to be WAY too huge, and when I go to take it in I always get really fustrated and I end up never finishing it. Anyone have any advice?
NEVER go by the printed measurement chart. You never know how much built-in ease there is. Modern patterns have the "finished measurement" printed on the pattern pieces. This is what you go by. The size chart may say "36 bust" but if its' not a fitted pattern, the actual finished garment could be 40in or more. On vintage patterns, you will have to actually measure the front bodice piece and the back bodice piece, add them together, then subtract the seam allowance.

Sunny

One Too Many
When using a modern pattern, I use the size chart as a guide but go by actual pattern measurements. Some have "finished garment measurements" printed on them; some have them printed on the pattern itself. (That's a pain.)

When using a vintage one, I've fine with the exact measurements given on the pattern envelope. They still have some necessary ease, but not nearly as much as the modern ones. My waist is 28", which is the waist on the vintage size 16, and I've never had a problem with waist fitting. I'm a little more full in bust and hips than the printed measurements, but it just takes a little more fitting depending on the pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic