Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Miss Elisabeth

New in Town
Brown suits you Miss Elisabeth. Wear it with confidence! Very nice blog, too. You must do re-enactments?

Thanks! I do 1850s reenactment, but due to my location in the PNW, not a whole lot more is available. I think it'd be really cool to do some WWI interpretations out at the forts and shipyards that were active during that period, but by WWII this area was completely abuzz with ship building - something that really hasn't ended, so the reenactment appeal is pretty nilch. Civil War reenacting is still really limited and fairly nebulous, as there were no real battles out here. Ahh well. Still plenty of dresses to make despite that.

BoPeep

Practically Family
Thanks! I do 1850s reenactment, but due to my location in the PNW, not a whole lot more is available.

As long as you get to wear that adorable corset on your blog, 1850s will do! We have a smattering of Civil War in Wisc and some fur trader rendevous as well, but I haven't gotten into it. Some day... :)

SheBear74

Practically Family
Did a bit of repurposing today. I couldn't find fabric that matched the quilt I just got so I used the bag that it came in to make a little cushion for my chair. The handles made for great ties. :D
DSCN3970.jpg

DSCN3972.jpg

thedanu

Familiar Face
This is my first try at making anything that can actually be worn anyday (as opposed to halloween/carnivals costumes). I had no patterns, but luckily enough a friend borrowed me her vintage sarong while she was away on holidays. She is quite smaller than I am, though, but luckily it seems to have worked out in the end :)

(sorry about the face, I'm been having the flu ever since I started to make this dress :-D)

2hzh0za.jpg

2lt3jbq.jpg

SheBear74

Practically Family
I wish I would have remembered that I am a 12 on top and 14 on bottom lol Had to tweek this a bit to make it fit.
DSCN3995.jpg

DSCN3994.jpg

Drappa

One Too Many
That is so clever! Great work. Would you mind sharing how you made that pattern?
This is my first try at making anything that can actually be worn anyday (as opposed to halloween/carnivals costumes). I had no patterns, but luckily enough a friend borrowed me her vintage sarong while she was away on holidays. She is quite smaller than I am, though, but luckily it seems to have worked out in the end :)

(sorry about the face, I'm been having the flu ever since I started to make this dress :-D)

2hzh0za.jpg

2lt3jbq.jpg

Bravo to everyone else, too.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Kamikat you never cease to amaze me. Everything you make fits you perfectly and this outfit in particular is super cute on you!

Shebear, is that a new look pattern? it looks exactly like the heart & crossbone dress I made a few years ago. it's a fun dress :)

heartxbone149x150s.jpg

thedanu you did a fabulous job!

thedanu

Familiar Face
That is so clever! Great work. Would you mind sharing how you made that pattern?

Bravo to everyone else, too.

I first tried to decide how many pieces of fabric I needed, and their minimum measurements. I decided to use 6, three for the lower part of the dress (one for the back and one for each of the front parts) and three for the upper side (one for the front, one for the back, and one for the wrinkly details on the front).
My friend is much smaller than I am, so I had to try to figure out how to change the dimensions of the dress so that it would fit my size. For that I used mathematics, and the cross-multiplication rule (I studied physics in university, so I'm a bit of a geek). For anybody who's interested in checking it out, there's an article about it in wikipedia: Cross-multiplication. It's simpler than it looks like, it works more or less like this:

Imagine we know the length of the dress, but we want to figure out the point at which a certain detail should be added (like for example a pleat). We can measure the length of the original dress we are using as a model (let's call it L1), and figure out how long our dress should be by measuring our body (let's call it L2). We can also then measure at which point the pleat is located in the original dress (let's call it P1).
I usually like to place the numbers in this way:
L1 --> P1
L2 --> ? (this is what we're trying to find)
So with this method, the measures wich are diagonally opposed have to be multiplied, and divided by the one that's left. So in our case, the pleat in our dress should be located at: (L2 * P1) / L1

Hopefully I managed to explain it properly :)

I basically used that in the whole dress, using some measures that can easily be obtained as reference (like the length of the dress, width or chest, waist and hips), and then drawing straight on the fabric.

I guess it might be a bit of an unorthodox way to come up with a "pattern", but I have no training as a seamstress and mathematics was all I could come up with :)

thedanu you did a fabulous job!

Thank you very much! :)

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I first tried to decide how many pieces of fabric I needed, and their minimum measurements. I decided to use 6, three for the lower part of the dress (one for the back and one for each of the front parts) and three for the upper side (one for the front, one for the back, and one for the wrinkly details on the front).
My friend is much smaller than I am, so I had to try to figure out how to change the dimensions of the dress so that it would fit my size. For that I used mathematics, and the cross-multiplication rule (I studied physics in university, so I'm a bit of a geek). For anybody who's interested in checking it out, there's an article about it in wikipedia: Cross-multiplication. It's simpler than it looks like, it works more or less like this:

Imagine we know the length of the dress, but we want to figure out the point at which a certain detail should be added (like for example a pleat). We can measure the length of the original dress we are using as a model (let's call it L1), and figure out how long our dress should be by measuring our body (let's call it L2). We can also then measure at which point the pleat is located in the original dress (let's call it P1).
I usually like to place the numbers in this way:
L1 --> P1
L2 --> ? (this is what we're trying to find)
So with this method, the measures wich are diagonally opposed have to be multiplied, and divided by the one that's left. So in our case, the pleat in our dress should be located at: (L2 * P1) / L1

Hopefully I managed to explain it properly :)

I basically used that in the whole dress, using some measures that can easily be obtained as reference (like the length of the dress, width or chest, waist and hips), and then drawing straight on the fabric.

I guess it might be a bit of an unorthodox way to come up with a "pattern", but I have no training as a seamstress and mathematics was all I could come up with :)

Thank you very much! :)

My head hurts.... Luckily, looking at your dress makes it feel better... So beautiful and the print really fun!

thedanu

Familiar Face
My head hurts.... Luckily, looking at your dress makes it feel better... So beautiful and the print really fun!

Thank you very much! I had been wanting a sarong dress for quite a while, when my boyfriend pointed at that fabric in the store. It was actually great, because I fell in love with it and decided I would at least try to make something out of it. I guess I'll try to make a bag to go with it with the fabric's leftovers next :)

User25159

New in Town
I just read this thread for the first time tonight, and my word you ladies are talented! I'm a beginner sewer ( or is it seamstress?) myself, so it's inspiring to see al of your projects. Maybe I'll even post one of mine in here someday!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
New dress from a 1935 pattern I finished recently. Wore it for the first time today. The fabric is 1930s or 40s vintage rayon crepe that I found in our local charity shop for a steal and I also got the rose pink buckle from there which is a perfect match.

002.jpg

Back detail with yoke, tab and pleat only just visible in the busy print.
008.jpg

Pattern:
McCallRoundNeckDress.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy