Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
Finally! I made up one of those antique patterns I got!

McCall3828.jpg
front-18.jpg

The McCall. Now, this is just a tester one, and apparently I was thrown off by the super elongated drawings of the ladies because this hits at the widest part of the hips, Im going to lengthen the next one.

detailagain.jpg

Here is a detail of the gathers. The sleeves were simple, and apparently I was also thrown off by their 5 foot long arms as well because this short sleeve hits at my elbow! SO I gots to alter that as well.

I used a stiff cotton for this, and it demands a more flowing fabric. I have some rayon that Im gonna use on the for real one. This was painfully easy to whip up (4 hrs from cut to start of buttons). There was no placement marks on the pattern for buttons, but the picture says ten, and man, that is so what it needed. I added an inside band around the bottom for reinforcement and it works quite nicely.

beneathband.jpg

The bust fits swell, as that was my largest worry, but the looseness of 20s garb give more than ample room without looking like a tent. :)

LD

Wow LadyDay I really like that blouse, I'm gonna sneak into you home at night and steal while you sleep :D

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I was tired of staring at this just sitting in my closet so I decided to photograph it. I finished this about a month ago.

l_71afb3cdd1ca96fa3b37bc6562089dd3.jpg

Vintage button!
l_7d4e2630107288583fc0d823b38b6f3d.jpg

Pattern:
l_582a510d97025cae5bd5c028ec5e3231.jpg

It didn't have an option for short sleeves but that didn't stop me! I've never worn long sleeves that can't be taken off (i.e. sweater, jacket) and I couldn't think of making long sleeves while it's 110 out!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Pink, that one is a WOWSER! It looks so much better on you than the pattern drawing. Can you do fingerwaves? I think if you fingerwave the front, then put the it all in a bun at the base of your neck, it would give the impression of a bob.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
WOW PINK!

I would agree with LD, that is your best one yet. (in more ways than one) That style is very flattering on you. We have simular body shapes and I really the 20's drop waist styled dresses. Plus they are very comfy.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic:
I can do finger waves and I have had short hair. I just don't think it suits me the best because I have pudgy cheeks.
l_889b4ce583336c12ab63c87a665b5c60.jpg

Thanks Miss Elf!

ShortClara

One Too Many
Pink Dahlia said:
:eek:fftopic:
I can do finger waves and I have had short hair. I just don't think it suits me the best because I have pudgy cheeks.
l_889b4ce583336c12ab63c87a665b5c60.jpg

Thanks Miss Elf!

Ditto on the gorge dress! I have a lot of cheeks (and forehead, too!) and I thought I couldn't do a bob (old ones = disasters), until I got the one I have now. It was a matter of having layers in the front, but not cutting off the most front, lowest part of the hair. I'm not explaining it very well, but I bet there's a short do you would like, if you got a really talented hair stylist.

anabolina

A-List Customer
So the family left for vacation today and I've got the house to myself so I took over the kitchen and front room and put together my new dressform. It's not perfect, it lists to the side and is not a perfect likeness for my measurements(it's push button and one button to adjust the breast area just won't move and I need to get it to do so), but I suppose it's close enough.

I made this one a year ago, but never got around to posting it because I wasn't happy with the buttons, but I fixed that so here it goes. It's so comfy.

The pattern:
Picsagain4152.jpg

P1010057.jpg

Closeup:
P1010059.jpg

Here's a 40s wrap dress, I never got around to uploading a picture of the pattern and am too lazy to go upstairs and find it. I haven't put the buttons on because I haven't found the perfect one yet. So here is my ABC dress...

P1010054.jpg

Closeup:
P1010055.jpg

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
anabolina Also said:
I've been doing that a lot recently too! I think it really gives the look of the 1950's jacket with peplum! Great look!

You gals are such an inspiration! I haven't been around much lately because I just started a new job working full time.... At a high end FABRIC STORE!!! At the moment I have to travel 3 hours each day to get to work, so I've been so exhausted I haven't really felt like sewing. But now I'm getting used to working and travelling (and we're hopefully moving much closer in the next month) I'm totally motivated to get back into it! Most of my co-workers are either studying/have studied fashion, so I'm surrounded by people in their own made/designed clothes. PLUS I'm constantly helping customers find fabric and patterns AND I'm surrounded by GORGEOUS fabrics!

So yes I'm inspired! And now I've finally managed to make it back here and I see all these lovely creations! So I'm hoping to get some sewing done soon! I've also been stocking up on both vintage patterns and modern vintage patterns (hooray for having money) so that helps too! Hopefully I can share some of my new creations with you all very soon!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
ooh, lucky you last chael!

Clara, you should seriously sell your bags on etsy, they are gorgeous (thinly veiled selfish request from girl who wants a bag ;))

anabolina, I love love love that blue dress. I'd be interested to see a picture of you in it when you wear it.

Mojito

One Too Many
Pink and Lady Day, I'm sure you'll be astonished (not!) to know that I absolutely love those 20s designs!

Shortclara, that bag is just absolutely fantastic. I've always loved those illustrations by John Tenniel - my grandmother gave me an edition of the book with Tenniel's original illustrations, and they've always been "Alice" to me (I particularly adore his Dodo). The bag is just so cool!

Very pretty, Anabolina, and it's great to see you in here again, Last_Chael!

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
anabolina said:
I really like the whole ensemble. What does the bodice look like? Also, that such a good idea to belt the cardigan over it. The whole outfit just seems to work. What pattern did you use for the dress? Anyway great job!!!

The whole reason for the belted cardigan is because it was the first dress I ever made and I didn't do a great job on the bodice, I need to take it in...But I was sick of not wearing it! I'm fixing it when I go to my cabin this week hopefully.

3780.jpg

It was this pattern, and sorry for not getting back sooner! :)

anabolina

A-List Customer
Wow, cute shorts and shower curtain Valerie. I think the shorts look fine, very unique. Do you have a straighton picture? I can't wait to see the bodice of that dress made up. I also have that pattern, but haven't gotten around to making it up. Good luck with it.

I fixed my dressform (or 'the other Sally' as I call her) so she stands up straight and I'm loving being able to fit on it and take pictures on it rather than getting someone else to take the pictures. It's so much more convenient that I sewed a pair of gauchos, a tshirt, a skirt, and another Simplicity retro dress pattern, that 30s one with the gathering on the side of the torso. Such fun. That and my laptop craching (Dell is pretty awesome, I ordered the reinstall CDs on Saturday and they were in front of the door when I got home today) kept me pretty busy this weekend.

olive bleu

One Too Many
ValerieAmelia said:
I was hoping some of the ladies could help me with these shorts

untitled-4.jpg

They were cute in my head but I'm just not sure if I'm feeling them now...Any ideas?

what exactly is it about the shorts that you don't like?I think they are adorable and would love to be able to wear short shorts like that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick