Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

graverobbergirl

New in Town
Maggie-Your adaptation looks great!
maggiethespy said:
I have had several requests from girls I dance with to make them jumpers just like mine, and they're willing to pay for fabric and for my time-- is it unethical to accept the payment?

And why would it be unethical to accept payment for your services? You're obviously a talented seamstress!

My attempt at this dress was not so good. Partly because I hadn't realized the fabric I got (on sale) had so much give to it until I washed it and it softened up a bunch.

50sCheckDress.jpg

The picture isn't all that good, either. I think this project was just not good for me :eusa_doh:

Lorena B

Practically Family
Just finished this, now, the problem is waiting for some nice weather to wear it with.
DSC00499.jpg

Also this was my birthday present from my guy, He does really think my sewing fewer is serious, ha,ha,halol
DSC00498.jpg

littlehalfpipe

New in Town
Lorena~
That is really awesome. Did you wing it or did you use a pattern? I really love the fabric and the (i have no idea what they're called) little fold over things in the front.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
kamikat said:
You need to decide what's ethical, but I can tell you what's legal. My BFF is a lawyer and I have asked her opinion on this situation in the past. If each customer buys her own pattern and fabric, then she is only paying for your labor. What you aren't supposed to do is buy the pattern and make a copy of that one for each customer.

The above is what I've heard, as well. The pattern companies are concerned with selling patterns; they don't care who makes the garment. You should be fine just making things for a few friends.

BTW, that *is* a cute jumper, maggiethespy! :)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Maggie, that skirt is darling! Now if we can only get that waist line on some trousers!
I thought that if you changed something by at least 20% it didn't matter if you sold it or not? I say go for it, you've totally altered the look of the pattern.

Graverobber, I see what you mean about the fabric, but it's a great fit!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Lorena B said:
Just finished this, now, the problem is waiting for some nice weather to wear it with.
DSC00499.jpg

Also this was my birthday present from my guy, He does really think my sewing fewer is serious, ha,ha,halol
DSC00498.jpg

That is so sweet AND inventive of him!! And the labels look fantastic!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
What beautiful items everyone is making! I need to get busy.
This is my 2nd dress from this pattern. I didn't make the belt this time. and I put the zipper in back instead of under the arm.
022_2A.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
very cute, deadpandiva!
OT: for the longest time, whenever I saw you post, my eye saw "deadpanda" instead of "deadpandiva". I couldn't figure out why someone would call herself a dead animal :D

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
kamikat said:
very cute, deadpandiva!
OT: for the longest time, whenever I saw you post, my eye saw "deadpanda" instead of "deadpandiva". I couldn't figure out why someone would call herself a dead animal :D
That's funny and a little disturbing.lol

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Robe

Hi Ladies,

I know some of you have made robes, but couldn't find photos or patterns after searching around the FL. I love the Old Hollywood glamorous kimono type robes. I can only find them in satin, but would really like one made out of cotton that I can wear just out of the shower.

Does anyone have a good pattern or instructions? Thanks!

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
ClaraB said:
miss_killin is right, you ladies sure have a way with a sewing machine and patterns, fantastic! :eusa_clap

I've been fascinated with fascinators for sometime now. I whipped this one up this evening. I love, love, love peacock feathers.

IMG_3334.jpg
IMG_3338.jpg

I LOVE that! I have been wanting to make something similar for quite a while. Can you please tell me where you got the feathers and how you made it?

Thanks!

olive bleu

One Too Many
SweetieStarr said:
Hi Ladies,

I know some of you have made robes, but couldn't find photos or patterns after searching around the FL. I love the Old Hollywood glamorous kimono type robes. I can only find them in satin, but would really like one made out of cotton that I can wear just out of the shower.

Does anyone have a good pattern or instructions? Thanks!

Like this?

B5152.jpg

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
SweetieStarr said:
I LOVE that! I have been wanting to make something similar for quite a while. Can you please tell me where you got the feathers and how you made it?

Thanks!

Oh my yes! This was such a fun and simple thing to make, in fact I made another just the other day. I have in no way perfected the process yet, each fascinator is an adventure.
IMG_3445.jpg

I constructed both fascinators out of feathers I picked up from my local craft stores, Joann's and Michael's, as well as plastic canvas, scrap fabric, a headband and plenty of hot glue. Better directions and more photographs can be found here.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
ClaraB said:
Oh my yes! This was such a fun and simple thing to make, in fact I made another just the other day. I have in no way perfected the process yet, each fascinator is an adventure.
IMG_3445.jpg

I constructed both fascinators out of feathers I picked up from my local craft stores, Joann's and Michael's, as well as plastic canvas, scrap fabric, a headband and plenty of hot glue. Better directions and more photographs can be found here.

Wonderful - I am going to try them! Thank you for sharing the tutorial. I am wondering if a clip would work instead of a headband...

This is going to be fun. I have looked at Michael's for the peacock feathers, but I remember the ones they had being more brown... I'll have to look again. Our Joann's went out of business. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic