Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Kirk H.

One Too Many
RHKPModel10_zpsc6bda3e8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My latest, a S&W Model 10 that was issued to the Royal Hong Kong Police.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I wish I would have had my C&R when they were importing those HK Police Model 10s.

I know what you mean...I remember when they started coming in in the mid to late 1990's and you could get one at a really good price. I wish I had picked one up back then. I ran into this one the other week and the bluing was as close to 100% as I have seen on a used wheel gun and the action was smooth as glass. What the heck, I had to get it.

Doublegun

Practically Family
One of my favorite American doubles has always been the LCS Grade 5 because of the engraved setters and pointers
and the attention to detail. LC Smith made approximately 441 Grade 5's in 12 ga (and considerably fewer in 16 and 20). Every one was made to order and made by hand at a cost of around $200. Two years ago I found one, made in 1905, in MSP that was in need of resurrection.

Now, I am not a proponent of "restoring" a vintage double but this gun was in need of more than a good cleaning. None of the wood was original, all case color was gone, the barrels had been polished hard on a wheel and the safety was not original. The good news was the engraving retained virtually all original detail, there was plenty of metal left in the barrels and the mechanics were in great shape.

After seeing the work Brad Bachelder in Grand Rapids, MI had done on another Grade 5 handing him the project was a no brainer. We found a nice stick of wood (almost exactly the same grain as one of the Gr 5's featured in the LCS book) and Brad worked his magic. The results:

At 7-lb, 12-ozs "Elsie" won't be spending much time in the grouse woods but she is a fine gun for clay games and I expect her to hold her own this fall on ditch-dragons. Regardless, I am glad to have rescued the old gal from further decline and I can't thank Brad enough for his time, effort and patience bring her back to near original condition.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Double Gun,

Beautiful gun and a high quality restoration. Its nice to see people fixing up these old doubles the right way and getting them back in the field!

Doublegun

Practically Family
As I said, I am mot a big fan of "restoring" guns but there was no other option for this gun. Anyone thinking about restoring a gun should keep in mind that refinishing a gun that is in good working order may actually decrease the value. Personally I don't want to take a 100+ year old gun and make it look new, I prefer a gun to look well cared for given it's age. (My Smith was well past that point) The other consideration is finding the right guy for thr job. The process for case hardening receivers differed from one manufacturer to another. My Smith would look very different and very wrong with the process used for a Parker. Same for barrel bluing and refinishing damascus. Bottom line, if you are going to do it do it right and be prepared to spend the money and wait patiently. It will be worth it and the firearm deserves no less.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Artist

I am not a fan of modern semi automatic rifles, just plain ugly! But, this one, modified by the Maestro, Doug Turnbull could maybe change my mind.
ar_cc-web_zpsbc414186.jpg
untitled1_zps2f374269.png

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Well, the finish is lovely and the wood is good but there nothing you can do about the lines. An AR format is an AR format. Efficient, surprisingly good handling for a combat piece, cheap to feed but under-powered for game and graceless. Still, given what it is, not bad looking.

As to the darling old Elsie, well done, Doublegun, well done, indeed!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Doug Turnbull is an ARTIST, but that's just wrong on SOOOOO many levels. It's like a taco pizza, if you wanted a taco you should oughta ordered one. If you wanted an 1880's lever action, you shoulda bought one.

Just my $0.02 and worth about half that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR