Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
a few more pictures of the pocket label, cuff and Milium label, also a shot of the lining configuration which is left open at the bottom...to allow the air to circulate and dry and condensation on the aluminium cloth surafce at a guess?
2a5dr9l.jpg
2zgw8si.jpg
206j43s.jpg
f4dvs7.jpg

the collar also fastens up on this one
s3ev14.jpg

Does anyone know the age of this coat, it has a 60's look to me, obviously no earlier than 1950!

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Wow, what a day.

I am pretty new to the Fedora Lounge, but I've fallen head first into this vintage thing and have started a small collection. Our dress code at work has been changing so it gives me a little extra motivation to get out there and work on my professional wardrobe.

The first item I want to present is this overcoat:

p2111940-vi.jpg

Harris Tweed overcoat. I think it is from the 1950s-1960s, but it is a little hard to tell as the Union tag is partially covered. It is a medium weight tweed and has a nice charcoal gray appearance. I like it a lot!

The outside looks great except for 2 missing buttons on the front and a missing button on a sleeve. The inside has some damage around both armholes, with the left side being the worse of the two, however it looks like it is just the stitching and not the fabric. Some repairs will be in order, but it is a nice coat! Question - can you use the serial number on the Harris Tweed tag to aid in dating an article of clothing?

p2111943-vi.jpg

p2111942-vi.jpg

p2111944-vi.jpg

p2111939-vi.jpg

And here is a picture of me wearing it (once repaired the front should be a little cleaner in appearance):

p2111948-vi.jpg

That coat was a nice find. However, my prized find of the day...

Last edited:

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Was this:

p2111890-vi.jpg

I'll tell ya, ever since I've been keeping an eye out for vintage clothes, I've come across a lot of 1960s-1970s items, with a few 1950s thrown in here and there. This one completely floored me.

p2111892-vi.jpg

p2111894-vi.jpg

p2111933-vi.jpg

It is, without a doubt, the finest overcoat I have ever seen in my life. The color, the stitching, the finish, the details, the craftsmanship...is exquisite. I've never seen anything like it, and it is beautiful. It is also my first 1930s-1940s find and the jewel of my starting collection. It is also in perfect condition. I could not find a single flaw or point of wear on it anywhere, which is amazing considering it is around 70 years old. Amazing.

p2111891-vi.jpg

p2111893-vi.jpg

p2111895-vi.jpg

p2111937-vi.jpg

Last edited:

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Here is a close up of the fabric:

p2111941-vi.jpg

It is a gray wool with a hint of green and a pattern of blue stripes going vertically and horizontally. I love how they did things with colors back then. Men/women were not afraid to be BOLD!

The real test...here is how it looks on me (yes, pants need tailoring:D):

p2111903-vi.jpg

p2111958-vi.jpg

p2111959-vi.jpg

I picked up a bunch of other items...but this was the one.

Thanks for this great forum and the inspiration you all provide. Whatever the bug is, I've caught it:eek:

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
That grey /green coat really is nice. Superb cut, and great colour.

Thanks! After a little digging, this is where my coat was originally sold about 70 years ago:

7aa9787b-6a13-4162-ad8a-ffaa0da2c42c.JPG

15501d72-0e32-4e52-86ab-d295af7aa31f.JPG

From what it sounds like, the store opened in the 1890s and closed up shop in the 1980s. There is now a souvenir shop in the building, but a lot of the remnants of the old store remain.

Maybe sometime this winter or next winter I'll wear the coat and visit the store for a little nostalgic moment:)

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Wow, what a day.

I am pretty new to the Fedora Lounge, but I've fallen head first into this vintage thing and have started a small collection. Our dress code at work has been changing so it gives me a little extra motivation to get out there and work on my professional wardrobe.

The first item I want to present is this overcoat:

p2111940-vi.jpg

Harris Tweed overcoat. I think it is from the 1950s-1960s, but it is a little hard to tell as the Union tag is partially covered. It is a medium weight tweed and has a nice charcoal gray appearance. I like it a lot!

The outside looks great except for 2 missing buttons on the front and a missing button on a sleeve. The inside has some damage around both armholes, with the left side being the worse of the two, however it looks like it is just the stitching and not the fabric. Some repairs will be in order, but it is a nice coat! Question - can you use the serial number on the Harris Tweed tag to aid in dating an article of clothing?

p2111943-vi.jpg

p2111942-vi.jpg

p2111944-vi.jpg

p2111939-vi.jpg

And here is a picture of me wearing it (once repaired the front should be a little cleaner in appearance):

p2111948-vi.jpg

That coat was a nice find. However, my prized find of the day...
Nice overall look RL, great find with the Harris tweed always nice to have a few items in that fabric

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here is a close up of the fabric:

p2111941-vi.jpg

It is a gray wool with a hint of green and a pattern of blue stripes going vertically and horizontally. I love how they did things with colors back then. Men/women were not afraid to be BOLD!

The real test...here is how it looks on me (yes, pants need tailoring:D):

p2111903-vi.jpg

p2111958-vi.jpg

p2111959-vi.jpg

I picked up a bunch of other items...but this was the one.

Thanks for this great forum and the inspiration you all provide. Whatever the bug is, I've caught it:eek:
Agreed re pants but Wow on the second coat it's a really great item, and yes it is highly addictive!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone know the age of this coat, it has a 60's look to me, obviously no earlier than 1950!

It is difficult to tell sometimes. I like to look at the design of labels, which often change with the times. The 'Milium' label is a pain since I have a 1950s coat and a 1970s coat, both of which have identical 'milium' labels. It seems that whilst everything else changed (maker's label, style of coat, cut of coat etc) 'milium' labels were consistent.

Sorry, but that doesn't really help you date the coat, it just tells you not to trust the old fashioned design on that particular label.

(N.B. I was recently talking with the owner of the tie/scarf shop 'Peckham Rye' - Newburgh Street, London - he has a book of labels used by his family firm when producing ties for various British companies back in the 1930s. He informed me that it can be useful to look at the quality of the weave and not just the design. This is because the quality of thread and stitching changed considrably post-war. It may not be applicable to all producers but it is something worth considering. He looked at a label in one of my coats, examined the back and told me that he believed it to be 1930s rather than 1950s - which I had thought - on the grounds of the density of the label threads.)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
These are not my overcoats, but I wish they were!

U.S. Army (1941), left to right:
regulation cape
double-breasted Ulster overcoat
double-breasted roll (a.k.a. shawl) lapel short coat
trench coat
oiled raincoat for officers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred