Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Looks excellent - because of its fit perhaps best for less cold days. Not all overcoats "take" a cap; this particular style (like that of the Burberry you have shown) is in my opinion the one a cap suits the best.
Thanks Hal. I agree not all overcoats play well with caps. I think this trim fly front herringbone is one style that, to me at least, looks better with a cap than with a hat. It was quite a nice coat to wear out and about town today with the temp just under freezing and a fairly brisk wind.

Michael

Reactions: Hal

Hal

Practically Family
...I think this trim fly front herringbone is one style that, to me at least, looks better with a cap than with a hat...
I agree; also, the informality of the cap matches the relative informality (to my eyes at least) of the raglan sleeve of the coat. (Your Burberry raincoat is of the same shape and style).

Last edited:

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Not a new coat, but today's choice. Harris Tweed.
P1230289 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
1-31-2017 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr

I got another short Harris Tweed coat a week or so ago for a couple of bucks. It was missing the self belt. But after thinking about it for awhile and inspecting it I believe that it was originally a long overcoat that some former owner shortened. And then used what they took off to make a belt and belt loops. I'm still thinking about what to do what that one. Maybe I'll take it a step further and turn it into a jacket. Ha ha.

Michael

Hal

Practically Family
I got another short Harris Tweed coat a week or so ago...missing the self belt. But after thinking about it for a while and inspecting it I believe that it was originally a long overcoat that some former owner shortened. And then used what they took off to make a belt and belt loops. I'm still thinking about what to do what that one.
While the coat you mention certainly sounds as if it were altered, in the UK in the mid1980s there were some single-breasted, raglan-sleeved, long and belted tweed overcoats. The classic rubberised riding mac, with a fly front, was similarly styled (see early postings from nightandthecity). Again, this is a style that goes particularly well with a cap.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I picked up this overcoat at the thrift today.
P1230373 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Fly front, fine herringbone, conservative.
P1230368 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I may need to shorten the sleeves a bit. Opinions? It's a 40L and I'm more of a 40R.
P1230366 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I like any additional length they may have added to the bottom
P1230378 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
No content labeling. I'm thinking wool, but could be a blend with cashmere.
Brooks Brothers Fly Front Overcoat by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Michael

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Michael, do NOT shorten the sleeves on that coat. They're the perfect length for an overcoat, which should have sleeves long enough to cover up (with room to spare) your suit jacket and shirt cuffs.

In fact, I've noticed the sleeves on some of your other overcoats are actually a bit short.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Michael, do NOT shorten the sleeves on that coat. They're the perfect length for an overcoat, which should have sleeves long enough to cover up (with room to spare) your suit jacket and shirt cuffs.

In fact, I've noticed the sleeves on some of your other overcoats are actually a bit short.
After looking at the photos and a bit of reflection I'm in agreement about the sleeve length. And I do have a couple that I could do with lengthening. But I'm a lazy one, so it never gets done.

Michael

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
After looking at the photos and a bit of reflection I'm in agreement about the sleeve length. And I do have a couple that I could do with lengthening. But I'm a lazy one, so it never gets done.

Michael
It's almost impossible to lengthen clothing like this, first because there will be a fold ironed into the cloth which will show, and second because the older the coat the more the outside will have faded from sunlight meaning if you drop down cloth from inside the cuff it will be darker. Honestly, unless something is really off, I don't bother with mods. Anyways, you're very lucky to have gotten a Brooks Bros coat that fits so well, an amazing brand even today.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
It's almost impossible to lengthen clothing like this, first because there will be a fold ironed into the cloth which will show, and second because the older the coat the more the outside will have faded from sunlight meaning if you drop down cloth from inside the cuff it will be darker. Honestly, unless something is really off, I don't bother with mods. Anyways, you're very lucky to have gotten a Brooks Bros coat that fits so well, an amazing brand even today.
True enough, it can be a can of worms. And yes it was nice to find the coat, though I need another overcoat like I need another hole in my head. Ha ha. It is a quality piece of work on a quality fabric.

Thanks,
Michael

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Michael, of all the coats you've posted, this is the one I'd keep (if you intend to thin out the closet a little).

I've got too many coats too, including a BB polo coat which I've never worn. Oh well. I try not to think about things like having too much of something one likes.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Michael, of all the coats you've posted, this is the one I'd keep (if you intend to thin out the closet a little).

I've got too many coats too, including a BB polo coat which I've never worn. Oh well. I try not to think about things like having too much of something one likes.
It would certainly be on the short list for only coat left. But I don't think I would thin that much. I have some liking for the oversized 50s style too. Would love to find a BB Polo.

Michael

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Deadstock 1930-40's German dark-brown Ulster coat.
Size 40 Long (fits me perfectly). No discoloration... that's just sunlight.

Weser%201.jpg

Weser%202.jpg

Hal

Practically Family
Deadstock 1930-40's German dark-brown Ulster coat. Size 40 Long (fits me perfectly).
FL member herringbonekid has described coats like this as "bullet-resistant". The style was used for wartime and postwar Utility clothing (the CC41 label) and was around (in the UK at least) until about 1954; such coats fetch high prices on eBayUK. The very best type of coat for a cold winter's day!

Last edited:

Michael A

I'll Lock Up

Michael A

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21