Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
The last overcoat from today is this Woolrich rain slicker/trench type coat in cotton and nylon blend. I think maybe treated with teflon.
P1220811 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
P1220810 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
The collar and cuffs are trimmed in corduroy. The upper torso is lined with a 70% Wool and nylon blend.
P1220809 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
The rear vent has a snap about mid length and is protected from rain and wind by a kick pleat. Rain/wind fly over the front zipper.
P1220815 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Made in the USA. I'm guessing probably in the 1980s,
My stable of overcoats now officially overflows.

Michael

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ Burberry looks like it might have been made for a specific retailer, i.e. the "VL" on the tag. They've made coats from blended cotton since at least the 1990s and probably the 80s. To be honest blends work better in my experience.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Hal. I'm hoping they will all serve me well. The Woolrich should be good when rain is happening this spring and the Burberry for when rain is only threatening during the same period. Between those two and my waterproofed Loden I should have wet weather covered in 3 seasons of the year. And I have a light rain poncho for the summer rains. The Harris I may wear today. Are you familiar with the Kingston label in the Harris? I'm wondering if that is a British or American maker.

Dr. D - I was wondering about that VL. I thought maybe it was the original owners monogram, but specific retailer might be more likely. In the care instructions it says I should reproof it after cleaning for best service. Do you have any idea what treatment they may have used?

Thanks,
Michael

Hal

Practically Family
Are you familiar with the Kingston label in the Harris? I'm wondering if that is a British or American maker.
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Kingston label; it gives no clues as to its provenance. Some FL members have posted Harris Tweed labels which do; for example, there is one which gives the American spelling for "license" as a noun (in British English, the verb is "license", the noun "licence"). The term "Board of Trade" was around until about 1960; the coat's length would seem to me to indicate the late 1950s. I'll keep my eyes open when these labels appear on the forum.

Last edited:

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Kingston label; it gives no clues as to its provenance. Some FL members have posted Harris Tweed labels which do; for example, there is one which gives the American spelling for "license" as a noun (in British English, the verb is "license", the noun "licence"). The term "Board of Trade" was around until about 1960; the coat's length would seem to me to indicate the late 1950s. I'll keep my eyes open when these labels appear on the forum.

I found an ad for one Kingston from the British charity shop and one on ebay from an American seller. I think the ebay seller claimed it was made in England, but then said something about American union labels. I may be confused, or he may have been. I've still been trying to track down the James MacDonald end of it too. He started business at the end of the 20s and I believe it was the early 50s when he retired. I'm not sure if the label name continued at that point or not.
In any case, here is the coat today ready to go downtown.
1-3-2017 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
We had a day of falling temperatures and rising winds here today, but the coat handled it with aplomb.
P1220819 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Thanks
Michael

G.W. Masters

New in Town

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
This is an awesome overcoat. I don't think I could swing it, however. Your poses and expressions in these overcoat shots, particularly the position as shown in the last image in this series, suggest the presence of a small but terrifying creature in your yard.
It is pretty awesome. You are the master of your clothes, not vice versa. I am not, however, master of my yard. It's full of fearsome little creatures. Garbage raiding raccoons. Sneaky possums. Garden raiding woodchucks. Nasty little wire chewing chipmunks.

Michael

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I was cleaning out the front room closet and found my Dad's Peacoat, which is very small for me now (38) so it'll go to my daughter, who is a great caregiver to all things familial. I wore it in highschool and then my little brother took it. I was appalled to find it at the old house in a pile of dirty clothes with all the buttons missing. I had it cleaned and bought some new buttons off ebay to have sewn on...

But it got me to looking for a good overcoat. I grabbed this cashmere overcoat off ebay, a Joseph Horne Co. coat out of Pittsburgh. I wore it for the first time last Sunday and was amazed at how much warmer I was than usual, with just a sports coat. It certainly lends a air of elegance as well. A lady at church said she loved my coat,. loved the look. Well, thank you, me too! It needs s few stitches around the collar, but that's about it. For only $24.99 shipped to my door, I can't believe my good fortune. The only real wear I see on it is on the inside liner.... but it's all intact with no tears at all.

This picture doesn't show much at all, but I sure love the coat. Although it's much warmer today, I wore it to the office anyway.

i-2jcrxxJ-L.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^
sounds like you got your money's worth!

lots of bargains out there if you like overcoats, not many people wear them anymore

I find that overcoats don't keep me too warm, certainly not like some sort of insulated coat, but their length is great for keeping the wind off

Hal

Practically Family
...it got me to looking for a good overcoat. I grabbed this cashmere overcoat...I wore it for the first time last Sunday and was amazed at how much warmer I was than usual, with just a sports coat. It certainly lends a air of elegance as well...Although it's much warmer today, I wore it to the office anyway.
Doctor Damage said:
I find that overcoats don't keep me too warm, certainly not like some sort of insulated coat, but their length is great for keeping the wind off.
FedOregon - good to find another who likes overcoats and appreciates their elegance. Doctor Damage - you are right about the length's keeping the wind off. But the functions of technical insulated coats and traditional/classical overcoats are not the same; one of the functions of the latter is to contribute to the overall appearance of the wearer, partly because in cold weather it will be the first item of clothing that others see. For this reason some of us like to wear an overcoat when the weather permits rather than demands this.

Last edited:

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I'll tell you, though, with all the layers (undershirt, dress shirt, cashmere sport coat, and then the cashmere over coat) I was toasty... plus, this one goes down to my knees and keeps my legs warm, too.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up

Hal

Practically Family
Another overcoat I recently picked up on half price day. London Fog fly front pure wool herringbone tweed...
Looks excellent - because of its fit perhaps best for less cold days. Not all overcoats "take" a cap; this particular style (like that of the Burberry you have shown) is in my opinion the one a cap suits the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo