Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I just won these shoes tonight. Here's hoping they actually fit. The last two pairs I bought didn't so I had to relist them :(
4shoes.jpg

4shoes4.jpg

Etienne

A-List Customer
Thanks, Decodoll! And, Lauren, those shoes are wonderful, too! You girls are very good at this eBay thing! I, too, have won a few things that do not fit well but I have never sold anything on eBay and am a bit nervous about it. Is it a big hassle to get started?

decodoll

Practically Family
:( I got the laceup deadstock navy and white shoes yesterday, and they are indeed a size 8 and way too big for me. Since she measured incorrectly, the seller is taking them back and refunding me in full including the return shipping. They really are gorgeous. She says they are going back up on ebay with the corrected measurements soon in case any of you size 8 gals want to be on the look out.

maisie

Practically Family
What a shame! They really are lovely, still one size too small for me though:( , but who ever gets them and fits will be a very lucky gal indeed!

decodoll

Practically Family
She said they were marked an 8 and measured 9 1/2 inches, which is a size 7. They actually measured 10 inches when I measured them. Oh well...I should have asked her to double check the measurements. Hopefully, they'll go to a good home. :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Unless they are very narrow, a 9.5 inch measurement will fit my feet (which are a small 8.)

I hate it when shoes arrive in the mail and don't fit! I have bought some on eBay where the measurements were 2-3 sizes off (one was the cutest pair of wedges with heart-shaped vamps. I was so disappointed :()

decodoll

Practically Family
Yes, it is disappointing! Well, in any event these weren't even 9 1/2 inches anyway.

Shoes are difficult to buy online, but you can usually (not in this particular case!) get them so much cheaper that it's worth trying. I've had shoes come and be exactly the measurement listed and what should be my size and have them still not fit. I think sometimes it has to do with the depth of the toe box as well. The measurement between the top and the bottom of the shoe. Does that make sense?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
That's very true--although I think online prices have been rising steadily. I have scored some great deals, and paid a little too much on others, so I suppose it evens out in the end. But usually, shoes are a lot more expensive in a vintage store (not always, and it does depend on your area...) I have found some super good deals in antique stores, where the seller has no clue what they have, but usually the selection and pricing is better online.

Yes, what you say makes sense. Also, I personally have trouble with shoes with high vamps, as I have a high instep, and so certain styles simply do not work with my feet.

decodoll

Practically Family
Thinking back on it, the only vintage shoes I've bought locally were at the vintage fairs, and that's mostly from a seller that used to come from out of state. Sellers around here just want way too much for vintage shoes (if you can find them at all.)

maisie

Practically Family
Over here in the UK your look at atleast £35-£40 for the most granny looking 40's shoes, and a lot more for nice pairs! And thats if you can find them!!:rolleyes:

Caledonia

Practically Family
maisie said:
Over here in the UK your look at atleast £35-£40 for the most granny looking 40's shoes, and a lot more for nice pairs! And thats if you can find them!!:rolleyes:
How true.:( Even if you add the shipping cost it's usually cheaper, or no more expensive, to buy from the US, which is where just about all of my shoes have come from. Here's a couple of pairs.

40speepwithbow.jpg

Caledonia

Practically Family
Thanks. They're the most typical 40s of that lot. But there's more!:D (Coming soon). I like the tan flats though for the history. They're CC marked, ie British utility clothing from the rationing period. And sorry, should have said - commiserations on the spectators being too big. That is such a disaster. :( I've gone as far as sticking insoles, heel grips, and half a cork in the toes of another pair because I just couldn't bear to part with them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred