Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Salieri

One of the Regulars
Terrible quality photos I'm afraid, but this is a recent aquisition of a late 30s/40s Hepworths 2 piece. Not sure whether perhaps it may once have been a three piece but in this case I'm not bothered as what I was looking for in this particular case was a suit with all the vintage features that I like, without it looking too dressy or 'eccentric'.

hepworths1.jpg

hepworths2.jpg

hepworths3.jpg

Trousers a touch long but yet to decide whether I can just about squeeze out a turnup or not.

Stiv

New in Town
Hello everyone,
What great suits are on here.
A few years ago I purchased this wool blue/gray pinstriped suit in Champaign, IL for 60 dollars at an antique store. I don't know much about suits but I'm guessing it's from the 40's or 50's. It was in great shape. It has a Richman Brothers label in it. We've kind of worn it out using it in our film noir web series. Here's Patrick, one of our actors, modeling the suit with a vintage tie and hat. You can see the suit in action (in glorious black and white) at www.movieparodynetwork.com.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Last edited:

Stiv

New in Town
Here's one more suit of mine. This is my favorite. It's a beautiful burgundy pinstriped wool suit. I'm no expert on suits, but I was told it was from the 40's when I purchased it at an antique store. My wife and I collect vintage clothes and I've found it's very difficult to find men's suits that are in good condition. Now however, the suit is in less than good condition because we used it in our Film Noir web series, The Movie Parody Network. You can see this suit and all our vintage dresses at www.movieparodynetwork.com.
Here, actor Chris Nash wearing the suit with vintage tie and hat, stands guard over our actress who is also wearing a vintage dress and laying across our vintage art deco chair. What can I say, we love playing with this stuff.
ry%3D400

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Terrible quality photos I'm afraid, but this is a recent aquisition of a late 30s/40s Hepworths 2 piece. Not sure whether perhaps it may once have been a three piece but in this case I'm not bothered as what I was looking for in this particular case was a suit with all the vintage features that I like, without it looking too dressy or 'eccentric'.

hepworths1.jpg

hepworths2.jpg

hepworths3.jpg

Trousers a touch long but yet to decide whether I can just about squeeze out a turnup or not.

Beautiful suit! Now time for you to invest in suitable footwear.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beautiful suit! Now time for you to invest in suitable footwear.

Yep, and maybe it's just me, but I always comb my hair and shave before I put the suit & shirt on... on the other hand, the footwear could just be slippers, too. ;) :eek: :)

The coat looks really short, though. Second photo - bottom hem at the wrist is about 4" short, the sleeves seem OK as do the shoulders and trouser length. But over all, it's a great look - and I love the tie with that shade of blue.

Last edited:

Salieri

One of the Regulars
Yep, and maybe it's just me, but I always comb my hair and shave before I put the suit & shirt on... on the other hand, the footwear could just be slippers, too. ;) :eek: :)

The coat looks really short, though. Second photo - bottom hem at the wrist is about 4" short, the sleeves seem OK as do the shoulders and trouser length. But over all, it's a great look - and I love the tie with that shade of blue.

Sorry, I thought this was 'show us your suits', not 'show us your face and hair'. If I really cared about shaving every time I stand in front of a mirror I would have posted on a cosmetics forum and, as for my hair, well that's just what it looks like and if you want me to invest in some brylcreem as well as replace my totally inappropriate old slip-on house shoes then I'm afraid you will be disappointed.

Yes, the jacket is a little shorter than usual but, like Tomasso said, 'rules of tailoring' shouldn't really be about what is or isn't allowed, but rather rules of thumb about what looks good and works. I like to think it does work in this instance, at least I hope so.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Here's one more suit of mine. This is my favorite. It's a beautiful burgundy pinstriped wool suit. I'm no expert on suits, but I was told it was from the 40's when I purchased it at an antique store.

There are a few hints to dating suits. Does it have a union tag? Is it half lined? Is it vented? These can be very helpful in determining a suit or sport jacket's age.

It's almost certainly 40s or earlier. Particularly the line of the shoulder is a bit of a giveaway (the almost but not quite pagoda shoulder was a real feature of American suits of the day; sadly today we've mostly gone convex in rtw and mtm) but also other features like the button placement and lapel cut.

a beautiful burgundy pinstriped wool suit. I'm no expert on suits, but I was told it was from the 40's when I purchased it at an antique store. My wife and I collect vintage clothes and I've found it's very difficult to find men's suits that are in good condition.

Salieri

One of the Regulars
That is a lovely piece of Hepworths action, Salieri. They certainly made decent, serviceable suits back then.

Is it plain blue, or with stripes?

bk

Thanks a lot BK! I'm v. pleased with it. It's not striped, just a plain slightly-lighter-than-navy cavalry twill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav