Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
no, don't touch the length, send it to me !!

i'm interested to see how those pleats will look on. is the outer one shallower ?

i wonder if it was made in Australia or travelled across ?

i've never seen smiling pockets on an english suit before. could be German. late 30s ?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lovely Suit!

Baron Kurtz said:
Probably bespoke, even though the fabric is not matched at the shoulders.

Aussie6.jpg

A properly cut bespoke suit will generally preclude pattern matching at the shoulder and collar seams.

http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000141.html

Tomasso said:
A properly cut bespoke suit will generally preclude pattern matching at the shoulder and collar seams.

http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000141.html

Shhhhhh. Can you hear it? Large can of worms opening. I hear cats being thrown amongst pigeons.

I agree with you, and Mahon, by the way. All the tailors (not a small number) i've talked to say this. Although i'd look at it like this: It's just not an issue to have the shoulders matched. I don't care about it. I saw Root's suit posted earlier with the matched shoulder pattern. it's a nice one.

bk

herringbonekid said:
i'm interested to see how those pleats will look on. is the outer one shallower ?

I remember one is shallower than the other. I'm uncertain which, but. Willl check when i get home this evening. I seem to remember that the flyward pleat is shallower.

As for its provenance, i'm not sure. As i say there are no tags.There's enough difference to cast doubt upon an English birth. I was interested to see if Aussie tailoring would resemble more the US or the Anglo way of doing things. More british-like, i'd say ... with a few curve balls thrown into the mix. I'm plumping for Aussie bespoke.

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
The real Henry said:
"I couldn't feel better or I'd be sick!"

I got the suit and it's just great! It fits perfect, except the being a bit too short, but they can be let out!

Here are the first pics:

255ma7n.jpg

Regards,
Henrik!

Henry, I am so happy for you! Your first vintage suit... such a classy one to start a collection off of!

I would let the pants down maybe an inch... that's it, no more, no less. My self, I enjoy the cuff just resting on the top of the shoe... not a full brake, a very modest brake would be period correct. If you get back on ebay, you could find some period narrow button in braces too. Maybe a pair in the original box! Also, Ray is right, a nice pair of dress shoes would be best suited with that suit. I'd go with a nice red brown captoe style or, maybe black.

That suit is fantastic! I'm really happy it went to a good home!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
To BK...

Man, this is amazing!

Aussie8.jpg

You have a very rare suit! Regardless of where it was made, it's a beautiful suit! It's modest but, has some fun details... I like it! Those pockets on the pants are just amazing! Also, the early box pleats on the pants are something else! I've never seen box pleats on period pants before!

Very nice looking suit BK!

=WR=

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BellyTank said:
'Smiling pockets' are usually a 'Western' affectation.

True, although the use of "crescent pockets" on European garments may predate their use in Western wear.

More features of that Australian suit.

Some better (? well i tried) views of the pleats. Also showing the extended waistband. Fly is to the left in pic #2.

Aussie9.jpg
Aussie10.jpg

And without my resident photographer this is the best i could do re. the trousers on. The top sits just at my lowest rib ~1.5" above the natural waist. They hang quite well.

Aussie11.jpg

And at the back of each cuff is a piece of protective leather. The cuffs are a solid 21" and 1.75 inches deep.

Aussie12.jpg

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
The top sits just at my lowest rib ~1.5" above the natural waist. They hang quite well.

bk

Ah, that's where I like my pants to ride! That's where they're suposed to be!;) For me, they feel best when high! And, believe it or not, they look the best!:D Just call me Fred Mertz.lol

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
True, they are unique! I have seen them use a small strip of extra fabric for heel shields but, never leather... that's a very good idea! You know, I may have some leather sewn into the heals of my other pants... wish they still did this today!:rolleyes: They will never unless you have a tailor put them in on a custom job.

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats