Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
The suit jacket had broader shoulders and its relatively loose lines draping from the shoulders obliterated the waistline.

loose lines and no waistline ? ok, we've discussed the english drape, and i get it now. but NO WAISTLINE ? english suits are known for a defined waistline. what suits are they referring to here ?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
herringbonekid said:
loose lines and no waistline ? ok, we've discussed the english drape, and i get it now. but NO WAISTLINE ? english suits are known for a defined waistline. what suits are they referring to here ?

"Obliterated the waistline" sounds like hyperbole for "ease the waistline";)

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
I don't know that i've ever seen a Hickey Freeman suit, other than horrid 70s polyester numbers. I believe Matt Deckard has an old Middishade suit, and would know more about modern suits than i (i don't think i've been into a department store in 5 years :eek:). Maybe he can give a reliable comparison?

bk

I've got a Hickey Freeman suit that I won on eBay because I thought it was a 40's suit (and it was listed as such). It has a few 70's things on it, like big pocket flaps and a printed lining, but it's made out of this very soft, but thick wool, and it's a brown pinstripe. I got it tailored so that the pants have a higher than 70's rise (the pants were big to begin with) and more of an hourglass shape to the jacket. When paired with a fedora and 40's tie, most people can't tell the difference, and it looks okay. I just make sure to wear the pocket flaps on the inside.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
I don't know that i've ever seen a Hickey Freeman suit, other than horrid 70s polyester numbers.

Here's a Hickey Freeman suit that truly is from the 1940s:

BPS2.jpg

BPS3.jpg

BPS4.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I believe that you have an H. Freeman suit there, Marc.

Marc Chevalier said:
Here's a Hickey Freeman suit that truly is from the 1940s:

BPS4.jpg

I think that they were of similar quality with H-F possibly being a bit better.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think that they've dropped the hyphen.

BegintheBeguine said:
There is a picture of a new Hickey Freeman (no hyphen used in the ad [huh] ) suit in the Barneys spread in the Sept/Oct 2006 issue of Men's Vogue, page 119.
B-the-B, you should know all about H-F, they being one of Rochester's leading corporate citizens.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
H. Freeman is still around. I believe that Nordstrom sells their suits.

Yes, they make private label and do MTM for many stores, as well. I don't think that their garments have as much hand finishing as H-F, these days. LS Clothiers in NYC offers H.Freeman MTM starting at around $700 which is a very good value.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
A pic of my friend Upr Crust in his Brooks Brothers made to measure.

To be quite honest you look like you are a baron or at least like you are good friends with Bruce Wayne or Lex Luthor in the suit and hat. That's a good thing It evokes an emotional response. It's great to see a modern suit with a vest and someone not looking like it's too much. Looks like it all belongs on you, and that is the best compliment I can give.

Looks like you suit the suit. I myself tend to stray away from black hats... I think I need to be a bit more mature looking to give the hat its due in presence. My younger colleagues can wear them, though I just don't see it on me. I can however do the Navy suit.

Alot of the eye is drawn to the shirt and tie and with the same suit I might wear more subdued colors, though overall It's a good looking outfit.

01719aar0.jpg

Stuttjukken

New in Town
I have not pictures of my suits. I have 1 solid navy suit and 1 solid black suit, both from Cavaliére (Sweden). And I have a solid charcoal blazer from Frislid (Norway) and many matching woolen and woolblend trousers, all solids in charcoal, med grey, navy, brown, olive. My best matcing trousers are my woolblend trousers from Ritex (Switzerland), in charcoal and navy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany