Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Mike1973

A-List Customer
My favourite suit..

Been meaning to post a photo up on here for ages, but I only wear a suit a few times a year, and never seem to get around getting the camera out :rolleyes:

My mate Dickie found this suit from a junk/antique shop in Pompey nearly ten years ago now. He would have kept it if it fitted him! Slim fitting DB jacket, button fly trousers with a high (fishtail?) back, about 22 inches at the bottom. dark blue wool, doesn't show up many details in the photo's though I'm afraid, need to get some daylight shots really...

No label, or signs of where a label was, but looks well made. I'm gussing late '30's??

VCCdinnerclothes018.jpg

VCCdinnerclothes007.jpg

(My better half wasn't impressed with my haircut though, short back and sides bit of an understatement:eek: )

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
Very nice suit. Man, that's a short waistcoat, though . . . Or the trousers ain't cranked up far enough (do you have room to wear them higher on the waist? Maybe this would neessitate losing the cuff? [huh] )

A daylight shot with the jacket buttoned up would be nice . . .

bk

Cheers Baron;)

You're dead right about the trousers, they should be hoicked up an inch or two really (doesn't help my hand is in the pocket...) I'll tighten the braces up next time:)
It was the end of the evening rather than the start, I'm afraid I was a little rough around the egdes...

A nice fitting suit, but maybe a 30 inside leg, and I'm a 31...

I'll work on a daylight shot for you at the weekend.

Salv

One Too Many
Have you lightened the photos Mike? I first looked at them on my PC at work, and they were too dark to see any detail, but looking at them at home on my Mac they are much brighter. Anyway, nice suit now that I can see it - I like the width at the ankles. And nothing wrong with the haircut - unless you have the hair razored off a short back and sides can never be too short. I have mine clippered at the back and sides with a bare blade on the clippers to just leave stubble.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Salv said:
And nothing wrong with the haircut - unless you have the hair razored off a short back and sides can never be too short. I have mine clippered at the back and sides with a bare blade on the clippers to just leave stubble.

It's a full on 'Normandy clip'! A leftover from when I used to do a lot more '39/'45 living history. Old habits die hard...:rolleyes:

Sorry, :eek:fftopic:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Mr. Rover said:
Thanks, bk. Actually, I think the Grand Hyatt is brand new. The style is just very classic. When I saw art deco lamps in the lobby I knew I'd like it.

I will get some full length pictures of both suits ASAP.
My friend's suit was inspired by the Goldfinger Bond suit. I asked his tailor to make him a suit with 3 buttons with lapels rolling to the 2nd button and a lapeled waistcoat (2 pockets).The lapels aren't as narrow as 60's suits, but I didn't think that looked suited him anyway (heh pun.)

2nd Fitting:
CIMG2869.jpg

Matt Deckard is going to kill me, but I forgot to ask for high arm holes...a lesson learnt.

Overlooking Hong Kong:
CIMG2886.jpg

Sorry, another noirish picture.
edray.jpg

ray

You should have asked for high armholes.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
When you dress as well as Ray does, you have to beat them off with a stick. ;)
Time was I could have made a clever comeback to that, but here at the Lounge, that dog don't hunt. :rolleyes:

JMS, your Garfield Ace could be early 50s as well as late 40s. I have a wide, low set DB dated '52.

Mike1973, your haircut was more common between the wars than you might think, altho it was rather "conservative" - more often seen on American working joes than sharp-suit-wearing swells.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
Time was I could have made a clever comeback to that, but here at the Lounge, that dog don't hunt. :rolleyes:

JMS, your Garfield Ace could be early 50s as well as late 40s. I have a wide, low set DB dated '52.

Mike1973, your haircut was more common between the wars than you might think, altho it was rather "conservative" - more often seen on American working joes than sharp-suit-wearing swells.

Thanks Fletch and BK, just wanted to make the vendor was at least in the ballpark with me!:) After I get a couple of small alterations I'll post some pics. I'm also going to wear it to my daughters St. Valentines Day Dance!

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen, I am in the market for my first vintage suit. What are some tell-tale indicators of what is and what isn't an older suit. I have gone through every page of this thread but I just want to be sure.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
More vintastic adventures in the life of slicedbread. This time I've got a kind of interesting story...Though it's mostly aggravating to me.

So I've just received two suits. One was advertised in the normal suits section of ebay and thus I thought it would be a modern suit. One was listed in the vintage section as 1940's.

This suit has a copyright label ACWA 1939...

It has heavily padded shoulders

P1010008-2.jpg

Creased sleeves

P1010007-1.jpg

A nice four pocket vest

P1010006-3.jpg

As well as nice belt loops and wide cuffs.

P1010004-1.jpg

P1010005-1.jpg

This suit is very nice and fits me fairly well...It will need to be lengthened in the sleeves and inseam though...

DSC01067.jpg

Now for the other suit:

It's ugly. Very poor. It has a ACWA 1949.

P1010001-3.jpg

Look at that! The fabric is coming apart!

P1010002-2.jpg

Here are the two ebay listings for the suits.

modern:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=160068691035&rd=1&rd=1

1940's:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=220068950417&rd=1&rd=1

Is there something wrong here? YES!!!! The suit I believed to be modern turned out to be vintage (not exactly sure on date but its gotta be 1940's) . Also, the suit was advertised as a size 38 with a 34x34 pair of slacks. The jacket is more like a 36 and the slacks are more like a 28x28(I also highly doubt that this suit is linen...). I was quite pleased to find a vintage suit when I least expected it. My real problem lays with the other suit. The suit I believed to be 1940's is FAR from it. The label reads ACWA 1949. If what I believe is correct...That means this suit was made AT EARLIEST by 1949....

Now, I did contact the seller about this discrepency but he hasn't yet responded. I got it just today so I suppose I'll give him/her time to respond. I expect to get a full refund INCLUDING return shipping. Is this a fair demand? Has this happened to any of you before?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou