Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

ws1

New in Town
I've been very ill recently with some awful cold/flu hybrid disease. I went walking today to try and clear the cobwebs and got a few good photos of the suit I wore:

walking1.jpg

walking2.jpg

walking5.jpg

walking4.jpg

walking3.jpg

walking6.jpg

It was made in 1960 by 'Lesley and Roberts, 16 St. George Street, Hanover Square, London'.

Oddly despite the jacket being fairly spacious the waistcoat and trousers are tight around the waist. I'll have to have them taken out by my seamstress who has worked wonders with the clothes I've taken to her before. Sadly it's a bit mothed and dirty but it's only really saved for occasions such as these so it's levels of smartness are never really in question.

It's missing a few buttons too in places but I repaired the middle button on the jacket. It's also got working cuff-buttons on the first two along with a fairly hefty cotton lining with silk in the sleeves. The jacket is a 2 on 3 with remarkably classic cut throughout. I can only assume it was made for a very traditional gent' indeed.

And the cigarettes? Gauloises Brunes without filters. Sheer bliss if I've ever bought it outside of vintage clothing/general objects.

Edit: Missed my favourite photo - the second.

Really good looking, good choice to use a walking stick.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
The terms are essentially interchangeable, though some nitpickers would define windowpane as a pattern over a plain/solid background and overcheck as a pattern over a patterned background. [huh]

Really? I didn't know that. That's too nitpicky even for me. ;)

yorkshirechap

Familiar Face
The Hayward suit I would be wearing......

If I was half a size smaller, so it's out with the chocolate and cake for me!

I recently bought this Douglas Hayward suit, it was made in 1974 and I'm pretty sure from a John G Hardy fabric.
The lapels are wide, as was the style and the trousers although not flared are wider than today but it is a fabulous suit :)

I've attached a link so you can see it too, hopefully soon I'll post one with me in it!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35364759@N08/sets/72157626196806624/

Last edited:

GBR

One of the Regulars
Thanks
:)
Here's a couple more taken a month or two ago

5497292006_757f68e122_b.jpg

5496697081_2cae453377_b.jpg

That's my friend Sarah too
We go to forties shows together
The chairs are CC41 as well with a matching sofa
(shame about the modern plugs! lol)

Wartime hair cut as well? How often do you have it cut - it really does complete the picture well.

Andy Baillie

New in Town
Nice suit. Nice chairs and friend too :D. Did you let the trouser cuffs down for the extra length (I have to do this with most suits) or did it come without cuffs as part of wartime rationing measures?

The trousers came as they are seen :)
Although the back had been let out about an inch (original alteration, not by me)
Lucky as I'm usually too tall for old trousers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner