Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I adore this suit. It is the heaviest cavalry twill that we could find. The waistcoat is beautiful. As you can imagine, it's a heavy beast and rather too warm to wear for everyday use. It was made in 1995.

greensuit1.jpg

Here are some close ups:
greensuit2.jpg

greensuitsleeve.jpg

goldwaistcoat.jpg

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
This was my wedding suit. It was made in early 1992. I had it copied from a photograph of my uncle on his wedding day in the early 1950s. If I remember correctly, it is a 17oz grey herringbone. I am so pleased I can still wear it. It is one of those suits that always gets admiring looks and comments whenever I wear it.

greysuit1.jpg

greysuit2.jpg

If I can locate the photograph it was copied from, i will scan it and post it here for reference.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
This was my wedding suit. It was made in early 1992. I had it copied from a photograph of my uncle on his wedding day in the early 1950s. If I remember correctly, it is a 17oz grey herringbone. I am so pleased I can still wear it. It is one of those suits that always gets admiring looks and comments whenever I wear it.

greysuit1.jpg

greysuit2.jpg

If I can locate the photograph it was copied from, i will scan it and post it here for reference.

I found a photo of the suit. It is not an exact copy, it was more a case of getting teh general theme right. The main difference was that my suit has only one set of buttons, with no additional deorative ones. I can recall discussing this and why we decided on this feature, but i cannot remember the reason. If anyone out there knows the likely reason, let me know (for example, was the lack of extra buttons a common feature in a particular year?).

ronsuit.jpg

Gene

Practically Family
Just got this great 3-piece suit today from an antique store for $28.

3-button with drop loops, suspender buttons, jacket has no center vent, typical lining of the era. No Union tag. I would wear it but it's a whopping 46" chest and 44" waist!!!

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

I want to get it tailored, but I don't know if I should risk damaging it? The zipper is stuck too....

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Gene!

1. GREAT suit.
2. How old is it?
3. Why did you buy it if it won't fit you?
4. Some WD-40 or similar lubricating oil should fix the zip.

Regardless, that is a smashing suit.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Here is my favorite suit, it is a Hong Kong tailored suit (Flamingo tailors), that I found for a couple of bucks in a salvation army. I don't remember if I posted it before, but I got a couple of nice pictures, so I wanted to show off.

387363_10150453565482905_651747904_10184673_1311639948_n.jpg

309784_10150453560912905_651747904_10184601_857220108_n.jpg

Gene

Practically Family
Hi Gene!

1. GREAT suit.
2. How old is it?
3. Why did you buy it if it won't fit you?
4. Some WD-40 or similar lubricating oil should fix the zip.

Regardless, that is a smashing suit.

I will answer by number!

1. Thanks, it is pretty amazing, I've wanted a vintage 3 button for a long time now!
2. I'd guesstimate early 50's. The lining is typical of that timeframe. The suspender buttons and detailing of the watch pocket, dropped loops, and USA-made Talon zipper give it away.
3. Usually when I'm lucky enough to find men's vintage clothing, it's always too small (I'm a 42-36 typically), so the opportunity for a larger suit doesn't come too often for me, and at an amazing price!
4. I will try that thanks, I'm afraid to move it!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Another alternative you might consider is graphite-powder (although that coud be potentially a bit messier than the WD-40).

Graphite powder is used to lubricate metallic objects (hinges, locks etc). A tiny amount applied to the zipper might just make it slippery enough to start working again.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I'd be concerned about applying anything to the zip. Oils and powders are only going to get on the fabric. If the zip is stuck, there may be an obstruction caught in the teeth, or it may be damaged. If the former, it may be able to be worked free. If the latter, it will have to be replaced anyway.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Graphite is the go, though I would avoid the powdered variety. The best way is to use a pencil by running the lead along the zipper where zipper runs along the teeth, if you know what I mean.

It's also good for keys that stick, you run thepencil all over the key and put into the lock a couple of times. It really works and no mess

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@ Two Types: Nice suits. You were lucky to find a seamstress with a sense for vintage styles. There are many examples where people tried to have a suit made somewhere and endet up with a fairly modern looking style just because the tailor didn't (want to) understand them.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Help dating Italian-made suit

Could I ask a favor of the suit room's very knowledgeable members? I found an Italian-made double-breasted peaked lapel suit at a thrift store a while ago, and I am wondering what era of American history this style would correspond to.

There are no union tags, and I couldn't make out any useful information from what tags are in it. Can any of you find any date info from these?
11-09-11_suit_img1.JPG

The trousers are a button, clip, button and zipper combination, so I suppose that puts their style at least after the late '40s.
11-09-11_suit_img2.JPG

Here's the whole suit on.
11-09-11_suit_img3.JPG

The pockets are nondescript, no flap or extensions inside. Lining is plain and satin-like, and there are no vents, belts, etc. on the back. Lapel buttonhole is fake/sewn shut, and no button under the right lapel. Outer breast pocket is on an angle matching the top of the peaked lapel. The trousers are pleated, medium-to-wide-legged, and cuffed up about an inch. No vest/waistcoat with it, and the color is a sea greenish gray.

I really enjoy wearing it and would appreciate knowing when this sort of suit was in style. Thanks very much!

-Steven

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
@ Two Types: Nice suits. You were lucky to find a seamstress with a sense for vintage styles. There are many examples where people tried to have a suit made somewhere and endet up with a fairly modern looking style just because the tailor didn't (want to) understand them.

I'm glad you like them. You are right, I was very lucky, in particular because I have a 47 inch chest and therefore finding vintage British suits is virtually impossible.
I remember at the time (1992) I had actually been into her father's tailor shop. I explained what I wanted but he said he couldn't do it. Strangely he didn't even suggest I contact her! Then a friend went into her shop and ordered a suit - so I followed his example. (Many years before I had been a regular in her shop but purchased nothing because at the time I was a poor student). She knew exactly what I wanted and was able to give very specific advice on features. She would say things like "Between 1936 and 1938 there was a fashion for sleeves to be shorter than normal." Which is why the sleeves on the green suit are slightly shorter than the other suits.
The day she retired from her business was a sad one. I am now trying to track her down to see if she has any old stock left. I remember her once coming into the room with a suitcase full of ties, all from the 1930s. Another time, my wife wanted an outfit. She searched through the backroom and found a long coat with beautiful features that had been started in the early thirties but had never been finished. She added the linings and the coat was perfect. Those were the days!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Graphite is the go, though I would avoid the powdered variety. The best way is to use a pencil by running the lead along the zipper where zipper runs along the teeth, if you know what I mean.

It's also good for keys that stick, you run thepencil all over the key and put into the lock a couple of times. It really works and no mess

That's a very good idea, Mike. I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it first!

Absolutely try a graphite pencil on any jammed or fidgety zips and it should work.

Gene

Practically Family
Yeah, I figure it was made relatively recently. I'm wondering if its style is reminiscent of an earlier era, though. Or were peaked lapels still a prominent style in the '80s?

The peaked lapels made a strong comeback in the 80's, albeit usually with a 6 to 1 button configuration. Think "American Psycho"-era.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Yeah, I figure it was made relatively recently. I'm wondering if its style is reminiscent of an earlier era, though. Or were peaked lapels still a prominent style in the '80s?

Peaked lapels have always been predominent on double breasted jackets, which incidentally look much better when worn buttoned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats