Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks very much

Thanks for showing your wonderful home Sweet Leilani! It's really spectacular - how do you keep it so tidy??? I keep thinking I should post interior shots of my house but the *clutter!* eek!

Wonderful collections you have, and very nicely displayed!

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Thanks for the kind words folks! :eek:

LizzieMaine- most of the radios work; a few need a new tube or two or a new cord. I listen to at least one of them every day- there's nothing like a baseball game on a vintage radio to turn back the clock. And the juke & wallbox work just fine- it can rattle the windows like nothing else!

My next project is to replace the cord on the chairside; it worked well some time ago before the cord rotted away. Believe it or not, I've never even tried to turn on the TV- that cord was really bad as well, and I don't think I'd be able to pull in any stations out here without a cable hookup!

scotrace- I have an 18-month-old little boy; I straightened up before I took the pictures! lol (But I try not to let the toys get too out of hand, as a general rule.) As to the displays, I'm a museum curator by profession, so that at least comes naturally. :D

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Not Golden Age but Vintage

A few photos of the new condo (moved last fall) taken when the place was empty. The building dates from 1905 but the layout is surprisingly modern--it's not deco but I love it. I'm redoing my laundry room (tiny 4'x5') in a deco style though, I'll post photos when I'm done.:

5fc2.jpg

The dining room looking into the living room; I'm replacing the light fixture.

ff3d.jpg

Funny little window in the dining room wall to allow light into the hallway. I'd like to get a piece of leaded glass for this someday.

b0da.jpg

The pocket doors, mercifully unpainted.

cbd8.jpg

A dark photo of the living room. The realtor apologized that the mantle hadn't been painted--thank God it wasn't!

bc9d.jpg

The bathroom sink, original from 1905 and still working great

This is the first house I bought and renovated. The original decor was so bad it was kind of endearing:

K.jpg

The kitchen with the wagon wheel light fixture just out of view. I used to call the wall unit "the easy-bake oven". Note the avacado green tin foil dispenser mounted below the upper cabinets.

12a0.jpg

The bathroom; I sold the light fixture on ebay for a pretty penny--there's no accounting for taste!

This house also had an electric turquoise bedroom with matching shag carpeting, a grape jelly purple bedroom with matching carpeting and siamese cat light switch covers in every room. It looked a lot better 3 years later when I sold it!

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Great space, Imoldfashioned!

I feel your pain when it comes to renovating! Here's a "before" pic from the bathroom I posted above:

bathroombefore.jpg

We still can't figure out why the sellers painted the bathroom ceiling "swimming pool blue"- and they did it after we had signed a contract to buy the house.

The bathroom carpet was originally pink textured pile, but we didn't know that until we ripped out the vanity that sat on top of it. We thought it was brown! :eek: Needless to say that was the first thing to go!!!

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sweet Leilani said:
The bathroom carpet was originally pink textured pile, but we didn't know that until we ripped out the vanity that sat on top of it. We thought it was brown! :eek: Needless to say that was the first thing to go!!!

Welcome aboard, Leilani!

I've always thought that anybody who would put carpet in a bathroom must have a screw loose. lol

When I was going to college in the 1970s, I lived for a while in an apartment that had shag carpet in the bathroom, and lousy plumbing! That carpet ended up going out the door, fortunately there was vinyl underneath it. :eek:

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Wow Leilani, just had to say, that's the coolest vintage-looking kitchen & bathroom! :eusa_clap

Well, I don't have any vintage house pics of my own to post (yet), but I've saved pics of my grandparents' old house when they were still alive. That's going to be my model when I have resources to really "do up" a house.

I did get a couple things before their estate was sold: a pair of real nice green-marble-based early-1930s electric lamps, the pair of brass candelabras and the marble-topped wood table they're sitting on in the photo of the hallway at the top of the stairs, the dining room table, and most impressive, the incredible turn-of-the-century painting and ornate etched metal & wood gold-leaf frame that was over the sofa in the living room! & a few other things. So definitely will have a good start, with pieces from the original family home. :D

A couple pics of their house before it was sold: (the first is of me with Granddad - entirely responsible for my golden era tastes :)

(Their house seemed so huge when I was little; although I loved the neighborhood and small apartment I grew up in, I used to periodically beg poor Mom as a little kid to take me the 4 hour trip to visit "Granddaddy & Grandmommy's Castle" :)

little_me_and_grandd_small.jpg

gdgmhome01.jpg

gdgmhome02.jpg

gdgmhome03.jpg

gdgmhome04.jpg

gdgmhome05.jpg

gdgmhome06.jpg

gdgmhome07.jpg

Swing High,
- C H

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
My Free Bedroom Set

I'm painting my bedroom and I was inspired to take some photos of my bedroom set for the Display Case.

A few years ago I was helping a friend's family clean out their recently deceased grandmother's home. When I admired the bedroom set they offered it to me for free if I could move it out of the house since no one in the family liked the style of the pieces.

I always thought I'd end up with a streamlined mid 30's waterfall style but this set has really grown on me, chips and all. The craftsmanship is wonderful and the chests hold an amazing amount of clothes.

I was told that the set was given as a wedding present in 1930 but I haven't found any makers marks.

headboard.jpg

headboarddetail.jpg

The headboard--these photos are closest to the actual color of the wood. All the florals are handpainted--up close you can see the ridges of the paint.

lowchest.jpg

The low chest

highdresser.jpg

highdresserdetail.jpg

The high chest with a narrow jewelry drawer in the center of the piece where it is painted green.

nightstand.jpg

The nightstand showing the new wall color on the left and the old wall color on the right.

dressingtable.jpg

Dressing table

vanitychair.jpg

chairback.jpg

Dressing table chair

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Wow and How

Imoldfashioned, that IS amazing - beautiful suite!

This is my fireplace wall with built-in bookcases (the ones below have glass doors):
fireplace.jpg

This is a dining room wall:

wall.jpg

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Was down in Burnett Park the other day, and got some new shots of our home in the bright sun & clear blue sky, so here is the Electric Building, by way of Burnett Park, in downtown Fort Worth:

270268530_a544b5c14c_b.jpg

270270620_0ea18a1fe1_b.jpg

270279352_61d250b6c2_b.jpg

Elaina

One Too Many
LOL, I'm not about to show you a thing in my house. My sewing is slowly taking over the entire living room. Sorry for the pics, my husband broke the good camera, and my son replaced it with one he earned in Sunday School (and was seriously proud of himself for giving me a camera).

Typically this is what part of the house I'm in looks like. In this one, I was in the middle of sewing and fighting with my cat:
shelves.jpg

And the thing I spend all my time at, sans the laptop that sits ontop when I'm not sewing:
mike1.jpg

The rest of the house is bare by comparison. I don't have my curtains up (because I need the natural light that the machine is sitting next to), the dressing table is a mess, my wardrobe currently is holding all my clothes, and since I didn't put them up, that's a mess. I hate my furniture, it's modern to cope with a 7 year old kid and a 29 year old kid, and the freezer and dining table are the same size and currently propping up a 6x12' board so I can cut on it.

Royal

New in Town
This thread is extremely helpful. I would love to decorate our apartment '30s - '40s style. It's nice to see such good taste on display.
Also, I'm wondering - do any of you that have seen " A Christmas Story" feel that it appears to paint an accurate picture of what a late '30s (lower) middle class interior would look like?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Appreciation

What impressive interiors, and exteriors!
(I'm just an Irish bacheor, and hate to admit that my
room in college was cleaner, neater, and more stylish
than my place today, so I seem to have regressed...lol

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
My new place was not originally intended to be a home, but being built in 1899, it is definitely vintage. It was originally a mill that produced different types of rope, string, twine, etc. Throughout the years, it has housed everything from flea markets to local wrestling matches. Now it has been "loftisized."

Here's one view of the exterior:

IMG_5992.jpg

Here's the morning view out of the window in the living area:

IMG_5793.jpg

Here's some inside pic's. We don't have as many beautiful antique furnishings as some of you, and we have just moved in, so it is still a work in progress.

In this one you can see two of my ukuleles and the Fred and Ginger movie announcement that a good friend gave to me:

IMG_6237.jpg

This is our living room/dining room/office/library. If you look closely, you can see my cat, too! :

IMG_6238.jpg

Here's a closer view of the window seat with my pride and joy Citizen Kane 50th Anniversary poster. It took a bit of coaxing to convince my wife to let me hang it there:

http://
IMG_6240.jpg

--G.R.

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
HistWardrobe said:
My house is a bit earlier than golden era (1859) and I've chosen to "interpret" it in the style of the year of the famous visit that gave the house its Warholian "15 minutes of fame." That means, authentically not just a bunch of 1860's stuff but an accretion -- from 18th century (mostly repros), lots of 1830s-40s stuff (originals) through to 1860s.

These pix are from the first year I lived here. Rooms didn't yet have enough clutter to look truly Victorian. Now they're "getting there" but still need a bit more going on, like getting some nicely ornate repro moldings, as the 1970s remodelling meant the end of the originals, alas.

kcbobparlor_th.JPG

Working on bonnet making in my parlour about 3 years ago, with my late, great best friend, BobDog

xmasreel5.JPG

Calling the Virginia Reel at 2003 Christmas Party. Had barely moved in, windows still "nekkid", before I got the swagged burgundy damask drapes & pelmet

LH1.JPG

Two of my friends getting tea ready at a small, private living history get- together. The teacups ARE 30's but the wrong 30's (1830s).

The kitchen, on the other hand, is in an addition built around 1900 and has sort of a 30s-50s farmhouse kitchen feel to it. One of these days I'll just go with that look - when I finally build my 19th c repro summer kitchen outbuilding and all the 19th c kitchenalia collection has somewhere to live, thereby freeing up my kitchen to be what it really wants to be.

On the basis that there were people in the 30s-40s who had antiques too, I think the venue, particularly the large central hallway, easily lends itself to rolling up the rugs and cranking up the Victrola and I can update the look by bringing out family knicknacks and furniture from later eras.

Kathryn,
I was admiring the pictures of your home and was pleased to see someone who does the Civil War era authentically, when I saw the boy in the last pic and knew I reconized him. Is that Emmanual Dabny? (I think that's his name) I know I "know" you from the Authentic Campaigner, and I believe we even had lunch once with Kay Gnagey a few years back at the Shaker Village event. I'm Chandra by the way, I don't expect you to remember me, as I haven't been active in CW living history lately, (lack of funds) but I was surprised and happy to see you are also on this board.

Rosie

One Too Many
Wow!

I haven't clicked on this thread in months and WOW! Everyone's home looks so amazing. I'm in the process of mapping out all of the renovations I want to do and I'm totally going to use some of the aspects you guys have in your houses. This is way better than my 1947 Home's and Gardens. Thanks. :)

dr greg

One Too Many
repro?

I built this house with my own hands in the style of what is known as a "Queenslander" to take full advantage of the suitability of that particular 1930's sub-tropical design for this climate. It has fooled many into believing it is an original homestead of the district..'aren't you lucky to have found one in such good condition!
"
housetl2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21