Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
From what I can see from the flats, it looks like both the jacket and the dress have a point where you have to pivot the fabric to get that nice crisp "V" And it would take a bit of working to get the gathers on the jacket even on both sides and not leaning one way or anther. One the jacket the top "dart" if you will looks like it comes to an end, and unless you know how to go to "0" seam allowance you'd probably get a pucker there.

Hope that helps :)

You are correct about the pucker. I haven't decided if I am going to tear it apart of throw it out!

Well, the problem is that rather than sewing a nice easy dart you have to sew a facing on the part to be slashed, slash it, then turn it to the inside.

Then you gather 4 layers of fabric, overlap ever so slightly, and then topstitch through 8 layers of fabric for the top gathers.

It is pure evil. :rage:

btw the poofy dresses are too cute!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Wow! Sounds entirely overcomplicated. That's the one thing that sometimes stinks about Vogue patterns. I'm sorry it's being such a bear!

Vanessa

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:
Vanessa, I was wondering what fabrics your sailor pattern recommended? I tried on a pair of vintage WWII navy blues I have and they fit perfectly, now I want to make a pair out of something a little less hot. Wool in Arz just isn't cool.. ba dum DUM!

Thanks!

~Lolita

I don't have the pattern in front of me, but I think it was cotton, linen, gab & a few others. I'll check when I get home tonight and PM you.

Here are my newest patterns . . just waiting for them in the mail.

9e_1.JPG

9b_1.JPG

P5181349.jpg

P5181350.jpg

P5181351.jpg

P5181352.jpg

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
The Elusive Perforated Pattern

I hope to tackle this weekend my first perforated pattern. For my 1940s patterns, I've been stuck using only McCall, because non of the other brands were printed. But I found a really simple looking DuBarry sundress that I don't think I can screw up. Wish me luck!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Rebecca D said:
I hope to tackle this weekend my first perforated pattern. For my 1940s patterns, I've been stuck using only McCall, because non of the other brands were printed. But I found a really simple looking DuBarry sundress that I don't think I can screw up. Wish me luck!

Don't worry, some of us are right there with you...

I am prepping a 6 piece pattern tonight...so simple that I am -bound- to mess it up somehow!

Snookie

Practically Family
Gosh, all these patterns are great! I know the supply of vintage patterns is limited, but ya'll are finding great things.

Here's some of mine, and pictures of them made up. Most of these garments I made a couple years ago, and are starting to show their age. Hopefully I can start restocking my closet soon!
scan_554211210_1.jpg

DSCF0079.jpg

scan_55421830_1.jpg

DSCF0065.jpg

scan_55421951_1.jpg

DSCF0074.jpg

DSCF0077.jpg

scan_55421540_1.jpg

DSCF0064.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
Thanks so much! I like that one a lot too, but it doesn't have much "give" and I managed to rip the zipper out of the seam. Completely fixable, but I never seem to get around to fixing my clothes. I wish I had some fabric left to make that funny little hat!

(Are my pictures too big? I just started posting photos here, and I'd hate to gum up the works.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Rebecca D said:

You'll do fine. Once you get the hang of perfed patterns, and learn the meaning of the marks, they're really not any more complicated than the printed kind. Just keep a close eye on the instruction sheet and take your time -- and you'll master them before you know it!

Snookie -- love the kitties on the blouse part of the Hollywood 1200!!!

Rosie

One Too Many
I've never sewn from a pattern

But, I got these, just to see if it would be easier than sewing the way I do:

marn22.jpg

1940sonepiece.jpg

tailored%20gored%20dress.jpg

My favorite is the middle one, I'm going to try and sew it before the summer is over though I do have lots of projects on the "to do" list

Snookie

Practically Family
The middle one looks like the easiest one, since there's no collar or sleeves. Very cute!

I'm sure you'll do fine sewing from a pattern - if you're used to doing it on your own, you already understand how garments are put together. If you don't have a "How To Sew" book, you might find one useful because vintage patterns don't have very detailed instructions. You should be able to get one from your local library. I have a Reader's Digest "how-to" book, and Vogue sewing books are good, too. Get 'um all, they're free!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:

Luck!:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic