Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I am so glad that they are still adding to this collection. V2885 is definitely on my sewing docket--nice to wear to work. I swear I have the vintage version of V2903 in my pattern stash. I loved the dress so much that I bought the old pattern in the wrong size thinking that "someday" I'd size the pattern up and sew the dress. So glad Vogue has done it for me because "someday" has yet to come! If anyone makes something please post it, I'd love to see the finished products of fellow sewers.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Love the patterns! I saw them last week at the store and I could not for the life of me figure out why the V2636 is considered an advanced or difficult pattern. Any thoughts, Lauren? (What am I not seeing here???)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Complete list of Vintage Vogue Patterns?

Hi Ladies,

Does anyone know where there is a list of all of the Vintage Vogue patterns that Vogue has rereleased over the past few years? I've checked the Web but I've had no luck. Thanks!

Kathleen Klein

New in Town
vintage vogue

I so agree. I had a wonderful
Vogue pattern that was a simple
shirtwaist dress. I made it 20 times
and loved every version. Also loved
the size I was then. Wish I could find it.
I keep scanning the ebay ads but don't find it>
Hope someone at Vogue picks up on your idea.
Also just a hint I've learned -- the French
Vogue is always spectacular. Worth ten
of ours. check it out. The current extra
issue with the designers is wonderful.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Seems silly to reply to my own thread, but it was a slow day at work so I pulled together a list of the Vintage Vogue patterns that I know exist. If anyone can add to this I'd be grateful.

Definitely
1. VintageVogue 2196 1940 Suit
2. Vintage Vogue 2197 1939 dress with drape
3. Vintage Vogue 2198 Suit

4. Vintage Vogue 2239 1950 evening dress
5. Vintage Vogue 2241 1931 evening dress
6. Vintage Vogue 2267 1954 Dress and Bolero

7. Vintage Vogue 2354 1940s dress
8. Vintage Vogue 2367."a men's 'zoot' suit"

9. Vintage Vogue 2401 1952 Dress
10. Vintage Vogue 2402– Dress and Jacket 1950
11. Vintage Vogue 2415 1956 Sundress
12. Vintage Vogue pattern 2444 1947 swing coat
13. Vintage Vogue Pattern 2476 (circa 1949), a fitted suit
14. Vintage Vogue Pattern 2494 (circa 1948), a fitted evening dress

15. Vintage Vogue Pattern 2535 (circa 1928), a sheer, dropped waist dress with an attached caplet that's worn over a slip dress.
16. Vintage Vogue 2561 1952 top, belt and dress
17. Vintage Vogue 2569: 1943 Dress

18. Vintage Vogue 2609 1934 evening dress
19. Vintage Vogue 2610 (1947 evening dress)
20. Vintage Vogue 2636 1940 Jacket and dress
21. Vintage Vogue 2669 1939 Dress
22. Vintage Vogue 2671 (1933 Dress)

23. Vintage Vogue 2786 1940 evening dress and coat
24. Vintage Vogue 2787 1948 Dress

25. Vintage Vogue 2858 1944 evening dress
26. Vintage Vogue 2859 1935 coat, dress and top
27. Vintage Vogue 2876 C1943 dress
28. Vintage Vogue 2884 Dessin Original 1954 Swing jacket
29. Vintage Vogue 2885 Suit C1944

30. Vintage Vogue 2902 circa 1952 dress
31. Vintage Vogue 2903 circa 1957 dress

32. Vintage Vogue 7325, a package of six hats.
33. Vintage Vogue 7464 hats
34. Vintage Vogue 7531 Evening Purses
35. Vintage Vogue 7657 hats
36. Vintage Vogue 7838 hats
37. Vintage Vogue 8008 hats
38. Vintage Vogue 8052 hats
39. Vintage Vogue 8175 hats

Possibly
1. Vogue 2339 Jacket & Skirt
2. Vogue 2719 Vogue Couture Retro Dress
3. Vogue 7949 Gloves
4. Vogue 8123 Misses' loose fitting jacket

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Etienne said:
Love the patterns! I saw them last week at the store and I could not for the life of me figure out why the V2636 is considered an advanced or difficult pattern. Any thoughts, Lauren? (What am I not seeing here???)

I'll give you my thoughts. I am working on the jacket now, It is harder than it looks. The sleeves and collar are pretty easy, the back is easy, but the slashing in the front is hard to get to lay flat. It isn't the most advanced pattern ever, but a jacket with lining and slashing doesn't rate as "easy" in patterns. It also has bound buttonholes, although unlike my vintage patterns it at least has instructions.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
From what I can see from the flats, it looks like both the jacket and the dress have a point where you have to pivot the fabric to get that nice crisp "V" And it would take a bit of working to get the gathers on the jacket even on both sides and not leaning one way or anther. One the jacket the top "dart" if you will looks like it comes to an end, and unless you know how to go to "0" seam allowance you'd probably get a pucker there. And bound buttonholes are the enemy.

I don't think this is terribly advanced, but rather one of those things that it takes practice before you get it just right. If I were to make it I think I would have to keep my seam ripper handy. I'm admittedly not very good at doing points and even gathers... it takes me a few tries even till this day! Usually it's just because I'm in too much of a hurry to take my time and do it properly...

A thing that helps when doing points is going to the end, looking at where your next seam is going to be, then cranking the machine needle down by hand (that knob on the side of the machine will let you do that) until ithe needle is going through the fabric. Lift the pressure foot, spin the fabric, put your pressure foot back down, then go!

Hope that helps :)

Vanessa

One Too Many
V2903.jpg

I heart poufy skirts.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
heart or hate? To me, those dresses are adorable! I would buy those in heartbeat!
Since I'm saving money to buy myself a sewing machine, is it better to buy a modern one, or do older models work just as well?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
"Heart" is an expression, you know, where you say I love whatever (but it has a heart in place of the word?) Yeah, I have a shirt that spells out heart that I thought was extremely clever ;)

I think it's best to go with a modern machine, personally. Chances are it will be easier to service and obtain new parts for if you need them. But I know lots of ladies on here use vintage machines and swear by them. They probably could tell you more about vintage machines :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lauren Henline said:
I think it's best to go with a modern machine, personally. Chances are it will be easier to service and obtain new parts for if you need them. But I know lots of ladies on here use vintage machines and swear by them. They probably could tell you more about vintage machines :)

Absolutely agreed -- a vintage machine looks nice, and can be fun to use, but if you're serious about sewing and want to turn out good work in a lot less time, a modern machine is a real help. To say nothing of the problems with maintenance and attatchments on an older machine.

I learned to sew on my grandmother's old New Home treadle machine -- and I wish I still had it -- but after using a modern machine, I don't think I could ever go back.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
Absolutely agreed -- a vintage machine looks nice, and can be fun to use, but if you're serious about sewing and want to turn out good work in a lot less time, a modern machine is a real help. To say nothing of the problems with maintenance and attatchments on an older machine.

I learned to sew on my grandmother's old New Home treadle machine -- and I wish I still had it -- but after using a modern machine, I don't think I could ever go back.
then a modern machine I will buy! I plan on getting a lot of use out of it, at least when I figure out how to sew! I'm really excited about making vintage dresses for my daughters as well :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters