Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

Kathleen Klein

New in Town
vintage patterns

I've sewn forever and I agree.
Use thin muslin. It won't disintegrate
and you can use it over and over.
A bit more room needed for storage.
It's what they use in costume shops.
Most garments are made of muslin first
and then made of the fashion fabric.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
These are all good suggestions.

One caveat however, if you do use muslin, don't get it wet or your pattern will shrink! (I don't want to talk about that disaster).:rage:

I may have to use tracing paper or non-woven interfacing in the future.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
IMG_9877.JPG

I just won this one on ebay :) I really love the little fuzzy bolero.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
After seeing your previous work... when you make this pattern it is going to look smashing!! Will you be using genuine teddy bear fur for the bolero? I made a stole using genuine teddy bear.

Lauren Henline said:
IMG_9877.JPG

I just won this one on ebay :) I really love the little fuzzy bolero.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Thank you!

Thanks for the advice, ladies. I think I'll purchase some muslin this weekend. However, I usually drink beer while I sew, so spilling and shrinkage of the pattern is a definite possibility.

:beer:

I was digging around for different websites that offer sewing notions and handbag patterns and I found the following that some of you may find useful:

www.tallpoppycraft.com
www.baglady.com
www.pursenicketypatterns.com

Hatmaking supplies
www.judithm.com

Why I want to buy this is beyond me. I guess it just looks like another toy I don't need:

www.darrsewnotions.com/darrpage/piping.htm

Caledonia

Practically Family
Trying to work out how to upload but am totally failing. Have a reasonable collection that I would love to share, mainly from the early 30s to mid 50s. Will get my brother onto it - he's a definite computer wizz. Has anybody heard of the Commercial Pattern Archive? I bought 2 CD's covering the 1860s to 1956, ok a bit expensive, but 8000+ images with pattern layouts (and that's only the women's fashions).... You need to be able to draft patterns to use them for sewing, but if only as a historic archive it really is fantastic. Just going to get the website address. Back in a minute.

Amapola

Familiar Face
pattern sources

Has anyone ordered patterns from amazon dry goods? (amazondrygoods.com)
My mother-in-law has an old catalog from them, and there is a section for 1930's and 1940's patterns. Here is the website description:

The Pattern Catalog
The Pattern Catalog illustrates over 1,100 historic, ethnic and hard-to-find clothing patterns for men, women, children and dolls, including Medieval to 1950, "Gone with the Wind", including "Folkwear" patterns. The most emphasis is on the Victorian period.

THE PATTERN CATALOG: $7.00

Also, is there any other source for buying patterns other than taking a chance on ebay?

Thanks!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Looking for a Vintage Winter Coat pattern

I was just wondering if any of you ladies know of where I can track down a 40's - 50's coat pattern. I am looking for something "swishy" and full with a nipped in waist/belt, for a 36" bust.
I have looked on ebay but can't seem to find anything, I would even be willing to settle for a reproduction pattern, but haven't had any luck yet.
I was hoping to get started soon as I don't have an awful lot of free time and MAYBE I will get it finished in time for winter if I start now.
;) ;)

Many thanks !!!!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Amapola said:
Has anyone ordered patterns from amazon dry goods? (amazondrygoods.com)
My mother-in-law has an old catalog from them, and there is a section for 1930's and 1940's patterns. Here is the website description:
<snip>

THE PATTERN CATALOG: $7.00

Also, is there any other source for buying patterns other than taking a chance on ebay?

Thanks!

-We've ordered a lot of patterns from Amazon for the theater department here at school - unless it's a more traditionally mass-market company like Rockinghorse or Folkwear, a lot of the patterns tend to be very minimal and aimed at someone with a good background in sewing.

You can get patterns from anywhere - it's just a matter of chance. I get a lot of mine from flea markets, thrift stores and estate sales.

Amapola

Familiar Face
Vanessa said:
-We've ordered a lot of patterns from Amazon for the theater department here at school - unless it's a more traditionally mass-market company like Rockinghorse or Folkwear, a lot of the patterns tend to be very minimal and aimed at someone with a good background in sewing.

You can get patterns from anywhere - it's just a matter of chance. I get a lot of mine from flea markets, thrift stores and estate sales.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I have about a 2 hour limit with my sewing machine. After that, we tend to disagree with one-another. I don't have a good background in sewing. Thankfully, I have family that can help.

I have a day off today and I am headed to an antique mall to get a fix. Maybe I'll find a pattern to make my day!

JustJen

Familiar Face
Calling all pattern makers!

I won an auction on eBay recently for a very nice 40's seersucker Hawaiian day dress. While it initially had problems, I have corrected all of them. I've decided that this is the dress I want to make more of.

It looks pretty simple-literally, the skirt is 4 pieces seamed together and the bodice is 4 pieces- no separate sleeves as they're included on each piece, front and back, with 5 buttons. Very eastor to recreate, or so it would seem.

Should I try to create a pattern on pattern paper first? I am not a great artist so my lines probably wouldn't shore up.....or should I just try to cut my fabric as best as I can based on what I see?

what should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Jen

decodoll

Practically Family
Assuming the garment is strong enough to take it, I'd trace it onto pattern or tracing paper first using a tracing wheel. Use the type that have needle points, not the blunt type for using with tracing paper. If you have trouble finding this locally, you can get one here. Lay the dress down flat and trace all the seams and any darts and such. The needles will go through the fabric and make holes in the paper underneath. Then draw and true up your lines and add seam allowance. I'd make it in an inexpensive fabric first just to make sure you got everything right. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
This is the one I'm working on this weekend -- got it cut out and waiting to be assembled.

housedress.jpg

I'm doing the short-sleeved version, in a soft blue cotton with fine burgundy stripes. I really like early-mid-forties styles like this, and I suspect it'll be a wardrobe staple this summer.

Lizzie from Maine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn