Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:
My girlfriend gave these to me for my birthday! The sizes are too big, so I will have to learn how to alter, but I think she is a doll for getting them for me. :) I am assuming these are from the early to mid 50's.

mp0001.jpg
mp0002.jpg

I was looking at the size and they are pre modern/vanity sizing. The one on the right says its a 20 1/2 and the bust is a 39. I'm about a 20 in todays size and my bust measures are 49.

r lush

New in Town
crochet patterns, snoods...

Hey all I am looking for a good snood pattern. I know I saw one on a thread here but I'm silly and I can't seem to locate it. I am going to Mexico and want something to do while relaxing on the beach :)

Any other easy crochet patterns would be fun too! thanks dolls!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Folkwear Patterns

Has anyone used a Folkwear pattern to make an outfit? If so, I would love to hear from you and see any finished pieces!

I have just received the 'Intimacies' pattern and begin my sewing classes next month, I know I am probably jumping in at the deep end, but I am dying to make myself a teddy!

Also, I am keen to have a go at the 'M'Lady's Corset' pattern at some time in the future, has anyone else used this pattern?

x

Elaina

One Too Many
I haven't sewn this one but http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?reviewnum=11979 reviews it from someone who has.

By far the best place for a corset (it's not edwardian , perse) is Laughing Moon. JoAnn is probably one of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of knowing and giving my money to. If you've got to have the folkwear, search with the link I've given and you'll see a review for it (which they rated it as a good pattern.)

I don't have access to a camera, but I made the victorian christening dress. (Even if I did, I'm not pulling it out of all the acid free paper, out of the cedar box, et al, to show you. If I have another kid, maybe :) ) I've done the greek vests, the Model-T duster, the empire waist gown and the cheongsam. If memory serves, it seems the sizing is somewhat off (like one I had to go larger and another I had to go smaller), and if you're busty most of these don't accomodate that well.

The vests, duster, and those were pretty straightforward. I never could get the cheongsam to fit right (I have boobs and hips and the pattern doesn't allow for them) and I fall out of the empire dress, although it was an okay pattern. The instructions are kind of hit and miss on some of them. So...I've had mixed luck with them. I research them all before I buy them.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Personally I don't sew....Machines hate me and I hate them...

But there is a seamstress that I know who has made, a professional one who has made many repros, a lot of them she sells to this local vintage/bridal store in my area. One of my friends who is getting married got a 1930's wedding dress, a beautiful reproduction, and it was made from a folkwear pattern.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
~landgirl~ said:
Has anyone used a Folkwear pattern to make an outfit? If so, I would love to hear from you and see any finished pieces!

I have just received the 'Intimacies' pattern and begin my sewing classes next month, I know I am probably jumping in at the deep end, but I am dying to make myself a teddy!

Also, I am keen to have a go at the 'M'Lady's Corset' pattern at some time in the future, has anyone else used this pattern?

x

I never have, but if you crack the pattern will you make me a pair of the tap pants? I will pay you! lol

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Thanks for the link Elaina - there are some positive reviews there, I'll bookmark that one! It doesn't have to be a Folkwear Pattern for the corset, if you recommend Laughing Moon so highly, then perhaps I should try there. Look at me, trying to run before I can even walk! I should imagine a corset would be the ultimate challenge?

NicolettaRose - I had a look for wedding dresses in the catalogue and couldn't see one, not that I plan on getting married in anytime soon. But I adore the ReVamp 40s dress and so always look now ;)

And Fleur.. you have too much faith in my abilities to be offering cash for tap pants! Ha ha. I dont even know how to use the bleedin machine yet! But of course, if things work out (fingers crossed) I would gladly make you a pair!

Elaina

One Too Many
Corsets actually aren't that hard to do, and LM's are very detailed with the boning placement and she has videos, and has answered a few questions I've had over the years. (Just tell her I sent you ;) , I get nothing out of it, other then a standing joke)

Elaina

One Too Many
I said they weren't hard to sew. Fitting them perfectly is time consuming and a lot of work. As well as materials (I get mine cheaply, and a corset costs me before labor about $65, and that's not including some of the tools I have.)

Fabric runs from 6-12/yd, then fashion fabric. While it doesn't take alot, it's a yard each and you'll need 2-3 kinds. Boning is anywhere from $10-30 (depends on type and if you cut and tip your own), laces run about $8-10, busks run anywhere from $10-30, stay tape is about $3-5 a yard...and then sewing them takes little effort and time, but then you got to make a mock up, fit it, and sew it over again. Just off the top of my head. I know when I make my own corsets they can take me about 15-20 hours worth of work (I don't make them professionally, and I can take my time). Friend that does them as a living says it takes her about 12 hours in labor before material costs.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
:eek: Sorry!

Don't forget, our prices are usually double over here. Of course, I haven't a clue how long they take, so I am sure I will learn all about it as I "go through it" so to speak!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
He he. Excuse my embarrassment, it wasn't directed at what you wrote but more at my own question, as I thought after posting the message, I do hope a corsetier doesn't read this lol.

They are very expensive though, but then anything bespoke is. I have had dresses made, only from over the pond as the prices are just so high here. Obviously there is the taxman to consider though. :mad:

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yes, I have used them. I have made the riding skirt, the smoking jacket, and the walking skirt. I love everything I've made from their patterns! They're very straightforward and pretty easy to use.

Miss Queenie and I took a corset class and she made the Laughing Moon Silverado corset, and I made the Truly Victorian one. Both came out very well!
Congrats on taking the class!

Sunny

One Too Many
I've made the Beautiful Dreamer nightgown. It's just lovely! And it's smarter to use cotton broadcloth like they suggest. Cotton flannel simply isn't a good quality material.

I have the 1930s day dress pattern, and a year ago I started a mock-up. I ran into some fitting issues (with me, not the pattern) and got stalled. Now that I've lost 15 pounds, in rather strategic areas, I'm looking forward to trying again.

Elaina

One Too Many
It should be pointed out, that you ask 3 people their opinons on a pattern and you'll likely get different answers, but I think it has a lot to do with the body shapes on how well someone likes a pattern.

I have a repro from one of the Big 3 that I HATE. The fit is so bad, and it just is awful, but a couple have given it high praise here, and a few I know have been middle of the road about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic