Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your waistcoats/Vests?

dakotanorth

Practically Family
call me crazy, but....

Gut reaction says 70's. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but the curved pocket flaps with tick-stitching seems to be a combination of eras, which is what you often saw in the 70's.
The FABRIC says otherwise, but then again, people could always pick the material when they had stuff custom-made.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Hmm, DN I have a feeling it's earlier, I've rarely seen that type of flap, and I have a niggle in the back of my mind about the 'British Make' stamping on the buckle only being used until the early 1950's? but as you say it could have been custom made using old materials/components? the wool is quite heavy and the lining is very similar to an early 1960's Harris tweed jacket I have very slick and thick 'rayon'.
Either way to me it's beautiful only sadly it doesn't fit, I nintend to take it to my tailor to get a few copies made in various cloths for next winter.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's a beautiful dove grey wool and rayon? waistcoat that I was lucky enough to find recently, sadly it's too small;
2l943rm.jpg
I have a very similar one from the '60s.

534736_336587636418486_2116405984_n.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
That style of button was pretty common for a very long time. I've seen them used on vintage garments dating from the 50s, 60s, and even vintage reproductions made in the 90s. However, I've usually seen them used on shirts, not waistcoats or jackets. Based of the typography / design of the label, though, I'd say 1960s is a pretty safe guess.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Whilst I'm on the subject here's another, this time in black wool, double-breasted but without lapels and with a keystone button stance which leads me to guess it may be continental-tailored.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I have a few that I wear on occasion. Please ignore the jeans and belt, the pics are for illustration purposes only :)

First the most recent acquisition which I don't think is that old, my checked waistcoat with two pockets:

And some button detail:

My "darted" yellow (60's I imagine) waistcoat, Parkchester brand, with 4 pockets, two with flaps:

My 4-pocket brown waistcoat with no flaps (also 60's I think), from Henry Bucks, a store owned by the same family since 1890:
][/URL]

Last edited:

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Here is my Orvis Murphy's Irish Pub Vest made in a thick Donegal Tweed, I obtained a few years ago, sadly it does not get to much use so I may let it go soon.

Still a fantastic versatile waistcoat, that will last for ever I should imagine due to it's construction.

IMG_2934.jpg IMG_2943.jpg IMG_2946.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner