Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking Jackets

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Thanks Paddy. Mine came yesterday and fits like a glove. I am very happy with it.

I'll try to post a picture of me wearing it at the weekend.

Dan'l

Practically Family
I've been wanting a smoking jacket for quite some time now and this past weekend I found one. I had stopped into a local antique store to buy some skinny tie clips and there in front of me was a smoking jacket for sale. I thought, wow! It probably won't fit me. I tried it on and it did fit. I was like a kid in a candy shop with a pocket full of change.
The label is Bond Fifth Avenue. It still has the original price tag on it and appears to never have been worn. If it has been worn then it's been treated gentely.

I'm not sure it's top of the line but it's a great start for me. It's waist lenght and I appologize for not getting a full shot of it's length.

I love the green color.

P2270008.jpg

P2270005.jpg

Now to find the time to relax in it with a pipe and a drink.

Dan'l

Dan'l

Practically Family
Tomasso, it's a rayon and acetate combo.

Why thank you Miss sofia :)

Wow BinkieBaumont, they do seem very similar.

As you may have noticed the breast pocket, and the side pockets have not been clipped open...yet.

Now, I need to find an ascot and smoking cap.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
More an at home dinner jacket, but as close as I’ll be coming to a smoking jacket any time soon. Just picked this one up for fun because the dimensions were just about right. Some unnamed modern production of course fabric. But it’s fun.

Plutarch.jpg

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
Last year I picked up a smoking jacket and robe pattern printed in 1942, the pattern covers three garments, a basic bathrobe, a smoking jacket and a combination of the two. I fell completely in love with the style of the combination of the two. The smoking robe I'll call it, is double breasted with two hand pockets and one breast pocket. I cannot wait to begin work on making this for myself. I plan to use a deep plumb colored pinstripe wool and line it with a black linen fabric. I will post pictures of the results as soon as it's finished!

1940sFreddie

Familiar Face
My smoking jacket Is one of my favourite pieces in my collection I just love it. Made in a dark maroon velvet with matching frogging.
and the vibrant red lining it is hard to believe this was made in 1938

image_zpsf4b79241.jpg

image_zps324e709f.jpg

image_zps00400a9f.jpg

Freddie

bow tie 001.jpg bow tie 002.jpg bow tie 003.jpg

Hi Folks

So is this blue wool jacket with three front pockets and a thin shawl collar a poor mans " smoking jacket"

I appreciate your time and your reply's.

Best regards.

CCJ

Leacock

Familiar Face
Another thing, the velvet jackets I am interested in use the belt as pictured, but following some inquiry it seems they can manufacture them with the two button closure found in the satin coats. Would having both be simply overkill?

What are the pros and cons of buttons vs. belt?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Both would most definitely be overkill. Technically buttoned is mildly more formal, but unless you're gonig to be regularly hosting black tie dinners in your own home, it's not exactly a big deal....

Leacock

Familiar Face
Both would most definitely be overkill. Technically buttoned is mildly more formal, but unless you're gonig to be regularly hosting black tie dinners in your own home, it's not exactly a big deal....

Thanks for the reply. I honestly can't see myself hosting black tie dinners in a smoking jacket, if I ever had the opportunity I would obviously just wear my dinner jacket!

I am more concerned with comfort and effectiveness. Does the belt tend to work fine or would buttons perhaps be more useful?

I found another site which I don't believe has been mentioned on this thread yet. http://favourbrook.com/shop/category/Menswear/Smoking-Jackets/

If you want traditional frogging closures this site is definitely for you. They seem quite nice, although admittedly rather outside my price range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy