Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Gentrification in our middle-german smalltown never happened in the last 33 years. One reason is, that our smalltown is not well known outside, another reason is, that not all places are attractive and another reason seems to be, that the owners of premises want to high prices, so interested parties just don't buy.

And we have only one developed place, ready to become a new OFH residential are, but many of the interested parties soon gave up, because of the premises high prices.

So what, I live in my co-op apartment, no one could buy us out. And our town would also not sell the community housing. Equally, what the Bourgies would do here, they could not buy our smalltown out.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For years the bourgeoisie and the working class peacefully coexisted here -- there were a lot of "summer complaints" who came up every year to Go To Camp or whatever, and the rest of us just went about our business in peace. But over the last twenty years or so, the nice old-money folks have given way to, for want of a better term, pushy arrivistes who buy up real estate, throw out long-standing tenants, demolish old duplexes, and build vast single-family type houses where they can recline in their Great Rooms oblivious of the homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk. And Im the one who cleans up the homeless people's defecation on the sidewalk.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
After 31 winters, I have decided I am a tropical species, who evolved for hunting antelope by foot on the African savannah over layering in so many clothes that it doesn't matter if I slip on the ice because I won't feel it anyway. I'm now of the opinion that I prefer 100 degree summers to -10 degree winters.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone bought, or is thinking about buying, an electric car? There's been a spate of explosions recently, https://www.evfiresafe.com/post/electric-car-explosions And it's not just cars. One of London's bus companies had a full size double deck bus explode, and some:
electric bus.jpg

I do appreciate that it's not trivial, the reason I'm curious is because MG Cars are producing a new sports car. They have named it The Cyberstar, it has made a first appearance at a special preview event held at the MG Motor UK headquarters in Marylebone, London. Advanced design director Carl Gotham and his Marylebone team, who played a key role in creating the Cyberster, revealed the model for the first time. The thing is, it has no fossil fuel engine choice, you can have electric or electric. I do rather like the aesthetic of the car, but this exploding business is putting me off.
MGCyberster-Highres(1) - Copy - Copy.jpg mgc3 - Copy.jpg

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Has anyone bought, or is thinking about buying, an electric car? There's been a spate of explosions recently, https://www.evfiresafe.com/post/electric-car-explosions And it's not just cars. One of London's bus companies had a full size double deck bus explode, and some:
View attachment 581776
I do appreciate that it's not trivial, the reason I'm curious is because MG Cars are producing a new sports car. They have named it The Cyberstar, it has made a first appearance at a special preview event held at the MG Motor UK headquarters in Marylebone, London. Advanced design director Carl Gotham and his Marylebone team, who played a key role in creating the Cyberster, revealed the model for the first time. The thing is, it has no fossil fuel engine choice, you can have electric or electric. I do rather like the aesthetic of the car, but this exploding business is putting me off.
View attachment 581774 View attachment 581775
This may not be an issue in most places in the UK, but in northern U.S. states, Tesla owners were "left out in the cold" recently.

EngProf

Practically Family
This may not be an issue in most places in the UK, but in northern U.S. states, Tesla owners were "left out in the cold" recently.
[/URL]
It doesn't only occur in Northern States. Here in Nashville (mid-South) there were a LOT of dissatisfied electric car owners. I won't call them electric car "drivers" since they weren't going anywhere.
Batteries lose capacity in the cold - it's called physics and chemistry...

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I try to avoid Chinese branded products like MG best possible and I’ll try to avoid electric cars as long as possible as well.
Our two MiGs will hopefully last until I retire not overly far away in future.

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is the jury still out on electric vehicles? Batteries are still a problem? Battery disposal a problem for ten years from now? Here, a shortage of charging points is an issue. When we first moved here, a friend leaned on me pretty hard to buy an electric vehicle. I didn’t go that route, primarily because I felt the technology was too new and bugs still needed to be worked out. Now I’m reading much harsher reviews. im so old that it’s more of an academocratic problem than a real one (I may never again buy a new car). Just the other day I was musing about what will be done with all these big, wide streets when cars go away completely. (Replaced by who knows what.)

… Just the other day I was musing about what will be done with all these big, wide streets when cars go away completely. (Replaced by who knows what.)
I suspect the roads will remain, mostly, but the uses they’re put to will change dramatically. The “autonomous” (aka “self-driving”) motor vehicle will shape our world as much or more as the automobile itself did. I had thought the personal car was here to stay, and maybe it will be, but a “come-to-you” driverless vehicle may well spell the end of that.

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 581776
View attachment 581774 View attachment 581775

That is nice looking! I think ideally I'd prefer hydrogen powered, all else being equal, but it's not got the rollout of refuelling spots. 600 miles between fills would be great, but if there's no fill station there....

I suspect electric will triumph for no reason other than its convenience. Won'tcbe long before all ne houses have a charging point as standard. Sainsburys overcthr road from us has a dozen or more fast-charging spaces in their carpark.

I'd consider an EV in a few years if we could afford it, live somewhere with our own off road parking, and have a use for it. Only for out of town trips, though, and only where the train isn't an option. One of the best things about living in London is not needing to drive. I did my test back in the 90s living in rural Ireland as a car was a necessary evil. I then went out a lot less..... indeed, thirty years, close on, after getting my licence it's still true I've driven less since passing my test than I did in the last fortnight before it. An EV I could set to self drive would be a lively thing indeed. If I have to do the driving, thrn I'd ideally want a converted vibtage something. The saddest thing about new cars is they now all come with stuff I hate with a passion. Power-steering for one thing. I would never willingly drive anything with ps, indeed if it was at all able to disable it, I would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner