Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stars And Their Cars

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Wow, $800K???
There's a replica for sale down from where I work.
It looks like an Auburn, but it's a 4 seater (but those in the back had better be kids!).
It's worth about $25K if it's in good condition.
A neat car to drive, but it's not a real one.

H.B. Halicki and his 1973 Mustang sportsroof from Gone in 60 Seconds

60-0.jpg

60-1.jpg

60-2.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Not sure if these photos have been posted yet? Steve McQueen and his Ferrari. His then wife Neile bought it for his 34th birthday. It's a 1963 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso, medium-brown metallic hue called Marrone, with a beige interior. Two things, I can't for the life of me remember what I got for my 34th, and Steve left her? If any woman bought this beautiful of a car, she would not have to worry about me straying from her!
Steve-McQueen-Ferrari_zps862acaed.jpg
Thomas-Crown-Affair-Steve-McQueen_zps7b463f30.jpg

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
"About 5 years ago, I was cruising down a rural Maryland road with my brother-in-law, and we approached a yellow Auburn Boat-tail out for a cruise ahead of us. As the Auburns were only built by direct commission, and were never a production car (the production car was the Cord), there's always a good story behind one. As we were the only ones on the road, I pulled alongside the car, and asked the owner if he'd mind very much if he'd pull over so we could look at it, and he was happy to oblige. He was an older fella, out with his wife, and was happy to show off his unique auto.

I asked how much it was worth, (it was in very good condition, but not restored), and he said about $800,000.00 as is. He also said he was in negotiations with a movie company that wanted to use the car, and if he got his way, the charge for their use of the car would be a full restoration, about $200,000.00. Before I could ask him if he knew who the car had been commissioned for, he told me to look at the silver plate on the dash. It read "Commissioned for Mr. James M. Stewart", and included a date of I think sometime in 1937. The man said "Yup, it was Jimmy Stewart's car." "

I don't know where to begin. In the first place, Auburn was E.L. Cord's lowest priced car, his other makes being Cord and Duesenberg.

Auburn was not a special order, custom built car but a mass produced car. The famous 1935-36 boat tail speedster model was built to use up leftover 1932 bodies. None was custom built or special order.

According to Old Cars Price Guide the most expensive boat tail is the 1936 supercharged straight eight. An absolutely perfect, show winning specimen is worth $275,000. A good running, unrestored example $123,700.

There were no 1937 Auburn boat tail speedsters, no 1937 Auburns of any kind. The company went out of business in 1936.

Last edited:
As said, great story. It probably doesn't cost that much to have a silversmith make up a plate that reads whatever you want it to read and then you screw it on the dash - as long as you don't care about being honest.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
As said, great story. It probably doesn't cost that much to have a silversmith make up a plate that reads whatever you want it to read and then you screw it on the dash - as long as you don't care about being honest.

Ha ha ha Auburn already did this. They advertised it as a 100 MPH car and every one came with a metal plate, on the instrument panel that said "This car has been tested at a top speed of 101.83 MPH" or words to that effect.

Those in the know have since stated that there was a box of these plates at the end of the assembly line and a worker took one at random and screwed it to the instrument panel. They were all the same except for a hand stamped number between 101 and 104 MPH. None of the cars was actually tested, and it is doubtful they would do 100 in stock form.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
"About 5 years ago, I was cruising down a rural Maryland road with my brother-in-law, and we approached a yellow Auburn Boat-tail out for a cruise ahead of us. As the Auburns were only built by direct commission, and were never a production car (the production car was the Cord), there's always a good story behind one. As we were the only ones on the road, I pulled alongside the car, and asked the owner if he'd mind very much if he'd pull over so we could look at it, and he was happy to oblige. He was an older fella, out with his wife, and was happy to show off his unique auto.

I asked how much it was worth, (it was in very good condition, but not restored), and he said about $800,000.00 as is. He also said he was in negotiations with a movie company that wanted to use the car, and if he got his way, the charge for their use of the car would be a full restoration, about $200,000.00. Before I could ask him if he knew who the car had been commissioned for, he told me to look at the silver plate on the dash. It read "Commissioned for Mr. James M. Stewart", and included a date of I think sometime in 1937. The man said "Yup, it was Jimmy Stewart's car." "

I don't know where to begin. In the first place, Auburn was E.L. Cord's lowest priced car, his other makes being Cord and Duesenberg.

Auburn was not a special order, custom built car but a mass produced car. The famous 1935-36 boat tail speedster model was built to use up leftover 1932 bodies. None was custom built or special order.

According to Old Cars Price Guide the most expensive boat tail is the 1936 supercharged straight eight. An absolutely perfect, show winning specimen is worth $275,000. A good running, unrestored example $123,700.

There were no 1937 Auburn boat tail speedsters, no 1937 Auburns of any kind. The company went out of business in 1936.

I think you'd better re check your prices. Here are several that have sold for more then your prices. Although, non have sold for his price either! http://www.supercars.net/cars/88.html

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
How about Lee Marvin's Shelby GT500KR. Lee was a true racer, Triumph motorcycles Bonneville early board member on the NHRA and SCTA. He really did have a need for speed!
7004-4_zpsd55b0a81.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Couldn't resist posting an MG. But who is it posing in the car? My wfe thinks it might be Mitzi Gaynor and her agent/husband Jack Bean.
MG TD.jpg
Also, is this a young Katherine Hepburn? Can't identify the car though. And is the location one of the caribbean islands that drive on the left.
Katharine Hepburn in Car.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner