Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stars And Their Cars

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Clark Gable and his Woody .

AutoClarkGableFordStationWagon.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Here is a picture of a 1932 Lincoln Phaeton like the one Thelma Todd drove:

1932Lincoln.jpg

Annex%20-%20Todd,%20Thelma_02.jpg

She was found dead at its wheel in 1935. It's commonly believed that the car was a Packard, but it was definitely a Phaeton, which was faster and more expensive. I know a photograph exists of her standing in front of it when it was new, but I can't seem to find it. Photos taken after the discovery of her body are easy to come by.

rue

Everyone should go at least once. I've been to a lot of car shows, but that one is the best. Plus the view is incredible, as you can sort of tell from the picture and Jay Leno does the announcements now when the cars are driven through for their awards. I went as a kid with my parents and then when I lived right down the road from it for 6 years, I never missed it.

Oh and my truck isn't mint condition either.... I just love to drool on the cars that are worthy lol

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Here's another car which I wish I had a picture for:

1935_auburn_boattail_speedster_m.jpg

A 1937 Auburn Boattail Speedster, built by direct commission, and for no-one less than Jimmy Stewart. This story is from findadeath.com:

About 5 years ago, I was cruising down a rural Maryland road with my brother-in-law, and we approached a yellow Auburn Boat-tail out for a cruise ahead of us. As the Auburns were only built by direct commission, and were never a production car (the production car was the Cord), there's always a good story behind one. As we were the only ones on the road, I pulled alongside the car, and asked the owner if he'd mind very much if he'd pull over so we could look at it, and he was happy to oblige. He was an older fella, out with his wife, and was happy to show off his unique auto.

I asked how much it was worth, (it was in very good condition, but not restored), and he said about $800,000.00 as is. He also said he was in negotiations with a movie company that wanted to use the car, and if he got his way, the charge for their use of the car would be a full restoration, about $200,000.00. Before I could ask him if he knew who the car had been commissioned for, he told me to look at the silver plate on the dash. It read "Commissioned for Mr. James M. Stewart", and included a date of I think sometime in 1937. The man said "Yup, it was Jimmy Stewart's car."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner