• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Stetson Beaver 100

Discussion in 'Hats' started by buler, Oct 25, 2009.

1. buler

buler My Mail is Forwarded Here

Here is one I just picked up. Marked a "Beaver 100" and pretty much identical to a "One Hundred". Custom made for Ray Kealer, possibly Mayor Ray Kealer of Long Beach, Ca from 1957 - 60, since it came out of California. The case is white inside instead of red. The leather of the case is a darker brown and more natural finish that the other case I have. Same plastic inserts to hold the hat. Unfortunately this hat has had some moth damage and will either need some felt transplants or a 2" ribbon.

I couldn't find any past references to a Beaver 100. Anyone seen one before? Also haven't seen the white interior case.

B

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. buler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bolthead

bolthead My Mail is Forwarded Here

Dude........

......you're killing me. :eusa_clap

4. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy One Too Many

Thank you Bolthead, My sentiments exactly!

:eusa_doh:

5. Put a 2" ribbon on that thing and it should be fine

6. bolthead

bolthead My Mail is Forwarded Here

I concur...........:eusa_clap

7. WOW!!!
    I am with the boys on this one, a wider ribbon will hide the moth trails.

8. Bantam Man

Bantam Man One of the Regulars

I have one. So far, I did take my "beaver 100" to be a later version of the one-hundred.
    This assumption seems to be affirmed by the fact that your hat is from the same period as my one (early sixties???), because the liner, the sweat band imprints and the size tag all are identical.
    There's one big difference between the two hats: my hat does not have a trimmed brim, but a raw brim with a pencil curl.
    Oh, and it came in an 'ordinary' oval Stetson hat box, instead of a leather case...

9. CRH

CRH Call Me a Cab

:eusa_clap

How about something with a tannish, golden color to it for a stylish contrast?

10. buler

Bantam Man, would like to see it. Please add pics!

B

11. Bantam Man

Bantam Man One of the Regulars

Buler, here you go!

The colour is silver belly. When I got it, the hat featured a gus crease. Since, I have given it a fedora crease with a center dent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. buler

Thanks for the pics Bantam Man!

B

13. my nemisis!

<removed>

sorry, I misspoked...

14. jonbuilder

jonbuilder Practically Family

15. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

fantastic packing that brought a smile to my face.
    [​IMG]

I hope the seller can find the keys. They weren't in the listing, but I'm going to ask about them.
    [​IMG]

The hat is certainly stiffer than my CB, but the crown is still pretty workable. I steamed it open for now. The brim, on the other hand, is loaded with stiffener.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The accessories were quickly removed.
    [​IMG]

16. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

This 2006 Chicago Tribune article was inside. It's about the annual customer appreciation party at Optimo, and I believe that the guy selling all of the Optimos on ebay is named in the article.
    [​IMG]

The hat is stretching right now. As it's a 7 3/8 and I'm a 7 1/2, and I've grown my hair just a bit more than usual (2 extra weeks worth, save the hippy comments;)), I hope I can get this one to fit. If not by stretching alone, I'm scheduled for a haircut next week, and I might get it cut pretty close.

17. danofarlington

danofarlington My Mail is Forwarded Here

Is that the 7 1/8 one from the U.K.? If so I saw it at 33 minutes to go in the auction last Sunday, and would have bid on it except my funny money was committed to the Stetson 7x Clear Beaver, which I ultimately lost. The hat looks like a great buy. It was about $120 US at the time I saw it, and in retrospect I should have bid on it. Oh, well. One can't have all the good hats he sees.

18. My 100 is labeled a 7 1/2 & I used a stretcher to get it to fit my 7 5/8 noggin fairly easy. Hope you have the same results! Congrats!!!!

19. fluteplayer07

fluteplayer07 One Too Many

For near face value price, if I remember correctly from the Ebay thread? Nice score!

Now, would this one be an earlier or later model? I'd venture mid or late 60's; more slender sweat, Stetson medallion turned sideways with no additional writing, plastic liner tip, and the gold foil line around the top of the sweat... And I don't remember the older ones having the 'Beaver 100' designation on the sweat - thought it was the stylized '100' number. Do my dating estimates sound on mark?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  20. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Thanks, guys.

With the free shipping considered, yep, face value. This one will amaze me for a long time.
    I think you're right about the dating, and I think I remember someone recently putting the rectangular size tag at about 1964.

Of course, the seller just responded to my email about the keys with a story about an even better deal:

"All the stuff I am selling is coming from a friend of mine that is 88 years old. She said she picked the hat and case up at garage sale for $5.00. Don't think you will be seeing the key."

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010