Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Beaver 100

DRB

One Too Many
Here is one I just picked up. Marked a "Beaver 100" and pretty much identical to a "One Hundred". Custom made for Ray Kealer, possibly Mayor Ray Kealer of Long Beach, Ca from 1957 - 60, since it came out of California. The case is white inside instead of red. The leather of the case is a darker brown and more natural finish that the other case I have. Same plastic inserts to hold the hat. Unfortunately this hat has had some moth damage and will either need some felt transplants or a 2" ribbon.

I couldn't find any past references to a Beaver 100. Anyone seen one before? Also haven't seen the white interior case.

B

beaver_100.jpg

Those aren't moth bites, those are from buckshot, adds character. :D

Landman

One Too Many
Here is a Stetson Beaver 100 I just purchased. I haven't received the hat yet so I don't have much to contribute except these pictures from the Seller's auction.

Stetson_100_Cattleman_200.jpg

Stetson_100_Cattleman_202.jpg

Stetson_100_Cattleman_203.jpg

Stetson_100_Cattleman_204.jpg

flyingfish

New in Town
Wanted!

Hi folks, thought I'd drop a line on this thread to say I'm looking for a Stetson 100 Open Road size 7 3/8. I've been keeping an eye on eBay and will bid if anything comes up but thought there might be someone here who is looking to sell one. Thanks!

flyingfish

New in Town
Thanks for that. It's exactly what I'm after but seems to be a few hundered dollars above market price. After losing several eBay auctions I have gleaned that somewhere between $200 and $250 is the ballpark for a good condition 100. Somebody else may have one to sell?

flyingfish

New in Town
Hi Mike, just wondering how you liked this hat once it arrived? Can I ask, was it fairly true to size? I'm after the same kind and don't want to be fooled by an inaccurate sizing.
Cheers!

flyingfish

New in Town
Here is a Stetson Beaver 100 I just purchased. I haven't received the hat yet so I don't have much to contribute except these pictures from the Seller's auction.

Stetson_100_Cattleman_200.jpg

Stetson_100_Cattleman_202.jpg

Stetson_100_Cattleman_203.jpg

Stetson_100_Cattleman_204.jpg

Hi Mike, just wondering how you liked this hat once it arrived? Can I ask, was it fairly true to size? I'm after the same kind and don't want to be fooled by an inaccurate sizing.
Cheers!

Landman

One Too Many
Cheers!

Hi flyingfish,

I have received the hat and it is very nice. I'd say it might be a little larger than the 7 3/8 size tag because I'm in between sizes. I usually wear either a 7 3/8 Long Oval or a 7 1/2. This one fits me fine and it is a regular 7 3/8. Of course, when it comes to buying older hats it is hard tell if the size tag is accurate. A lot depends on how the hat has been taken care of and stored. I have some vintage 7 3/8 that are too big and some 7 1/2 that are too small. The previous owner might have stretched the hat too. You never really know until you try it on.

The felt is very nice on it but I'm a little surprised at how stiff it is. The stiffness reminds me more of a western hat than what I would have expected from a Stetson 100. This appears to be a late model Stetson Beaver 100 manufactured in the 1960's and I think it probably came with the cattleman's crease. From what I've read, the Stetson 100's from the 50's came with a soft open crown and usually a stiffer brim.

Since I like a cattleman's crease I'm fine with it. If I had wanted to recreased it into another type of crease I might be a little disappointed in it. I don't think I would want to try and recrease it do to the stiffness of the crown.

I hope that helps you.

TPD166

One Too Many
How did you the determine 1960s? I just got a 7X Open Road & the liner is the same - trying to figure out how old mine is.
Robert

Hi flyingfish,

I have received the hat and it is very nice. I'd say it might be a little larger than the 7 3/8 size tag because I'm in between sizes. I usually wear either a 7 3/8 Long Oval or a 7 1/2. This one fits me fine and it is a regular 7 3/8. Of course, when it comes to buying older hats it is hard tell if the size tag is accurate. A lot depends on how the hat has been taken care of and stored. I have some vintage 7 3/8 that are too big and some 7 1/2 that are too small. The previous owner might have stretched the hat too. You never really know until you try it on.

The felt is very nice on it but I'm a little surprised at how stiff it is. The stiffness reminds me more of a western hat than what I would have expected from a Stetson 100. This appears to be a late model Stetson Beaver 100 manufactured in the 1960's and I think it probably came with the cattleman's crease. From what I've read, the Stetson 100's from the 50's came with a soft open crown and usually a stiffer brim.

Since I like a cattleman's crease I'm fine with it. If I had wanted to recreased it into another type of crease I might be a little disappointed in it. I don't think I would want to try and recrease it do to the stiffness of the crown.

I hope that helps you.

Landman

One Too Many
Robert,

I'm just guessing but the size tag looks like a 1960's tag to me. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members will give their opinion on the date.

Thanks for help with my 7X - here is my original post of the lining:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...Vintage-Hat)&p=1493503&highlight=#post1493503

Robert, yours looks like mid to late 60's with that gold band around the top of the sweatband & that size tag.
The glare on the photo is on the crest of the liner which makes it hard to see details.

I have a Stetson 100 with the same sweatband style, perforated & laced in ribbon, like Mike's but I have an older style size tag.
My size tag is the round style but with the full 7 5/8 printed versus just the fraction.
How is 7X marked on the sweat?

Landman

One Too Many
Robert, yours looks like mid to late 60's with that gold band around the top of the sweatband & that size tag.
The glare on the photo is on the crest of the liner which makes it hard to see details.

I have a Stetson 100 with the same sweatband style, perforated & laced in ribbon, like Mike's but I have an older style size tag.
My size tag is the round style but with the full 7 5/8 printed versus just the fraction.
How is 7X marked on the sweat?

Gt, is the felt on yours stiffer like a western hat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24