Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "Nostalgia"? (now with pics)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
besdor said:
The hat will most likely be a 2 1/2 inch brim . We now have to decide on the wider binding or the standard 4 line even binding that is used today.
What do fellow loungers think?

Wide, of course, for that Whippet look! :D

Cheers,
Tom

Earp

One of the Regulars
besdor said:
The hat will most likely be a 2 1/2 inch brim .....

Shoot. I was really interested in this hat with a 2 5/8 brim. Can anyone recommend another hat of the same style in gray with a 2 5/8 brim? I'm interested in buying one and I liked the estimated affordability of the "Nostalgia." (Just built new house -- kids in college, ;) )

Thank you,
--Wyatt--

carldelo

One Too Many
besdor said:
The hat will most likely be a 2 1/2 inch brim . We now have to decide on the wider binding or the standard 4 line even binding that is used today.
What do fellow loungers think?

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

P.S. Yes it will go up to a 7 3/4.

Sounds good to me. I say whatever looks more old-fashioned for the edge binding, so probably the wider one. Am I right in assuming it is gray binding on gray felt, with a black ribbon?

PS I can't believe people are passing on the hat for want of an eighth of an inch without even looking at a photo first...

indycop

I'll Lock Up
carldelo said:
PS I can't believe people are passing on the hat for want of an eighth of an inch without even looking at a photo first...
I was thinking that with the brim binding catching your eye it would not be that noticeable as to wether it was 2 1/2 or 2 5/8 anyway. I don't think I have anything that short so I'm game, but no shorter!:D

Ande1964

Practically Family
I agree... it's just an eighth! My Art hat is a 2.5" brim with a bound edge, and it looks spectacular. I have the posts from many folks here to prove it!

Anj

Earp

One of the Regulars
Ande1964 said:
I agree... it's just an eighth! My Art hat is a 2.5" brim with a bound edge, and it looks spectacular. I have the posts from many folks here to prove it!

Anj

Because, believe it or not, an eighth of an inch can make a difference to certain body sizes and face shapes. I agree, it's a great looking hat. I just wanted a wider brim. As Metropd said earlier in this thread, "2 5/8 works for people with thinner faces without being too wide and works with people with fuller faces without being too short. Just a great brim width for many types of faces."

After being used to your 2.5 inch brim I bet you would notice the difference if you were forced to trade it in and wear a 2 3/8. It's surprising what the eye can actually see.

metropd

One Too Many
Earp said:

After being used to your 2.5 inch brim I bet you would notice the difference if you were forced to trade it in and wear a 2 3/8. It's surprising what the eye can actually see.[/COLOR]

Exactly!

metropd

One Too Many
A Nostalgia with a 2 1/2 inch raw edge from Aaron hats will look wider than a Bencraft 2 1/2 inch bound edge, especially if it it a thick bound edge.

Don't deny the POWER of aesthetics.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
metropd said:
A Nostalgia with a 2 1/2 inch raw edge from Aaron hats will look wider than a Bencraft 2 1/2 inch bound edge, especially if it it a thick bound edge.

Don't deny the POWER of aesthetics.
Metro if you are saying that you need a 2 5/8 brim to look right on you by your face structure and such then would that mean that my fat head would need a 3 1/2 or so? I know I would look ridiculous in a stingy brim but I just can't see a 2 1/2 not working on you. in the end I guess it really does not matter, cos it's gonna be up to Stetson and you can't deny the POWER of corporate decision!:eusa_doh:

metropd

One Too Many
indycop said:
Metro if you are saying that you need a 2 5/8 brim to look right on you by your face structure and such then would that mean that my fat head would need a 3 1/2 or so? I know I would look ridiculous in a stingy brim but I just can't see a 2 1/2 not working on you. in the end I guess it really does not matter, cos it's gonna be up to Stetson and you can't deny the POWER of corporate decision!:eusa_doh:

lol lol

No, a 2 1/2 inch brim will look very good on me. I was trying to avoid saying that I am going with a 2 1/2 raw edge from Aaron Hats because Bencraft will not do the 2 5/8 brim. I was just letting everyone know I prefer something on the wider side of a medium brim. You don't see many 2 5/8 inch production hats so it would be nice to have a 2 5/8 inch brim from off the rack even if I have a few custom ones.

Indy, you can pull that Jaxon with the 2 3/8 brim and look great, just a matter of taste.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
metropd said:
lol lol

No, a 2 1/2 inch brim will look very good on me. I was trying to avoid saying that I am going with a 2 1/2 raw edge from Aaron Hats because Bencraft will not do the 2 5/8 brim. I was just letting everyone know I prefer something on the wider side of a medium brim. You don't see many 2 5/8 inch production hats so it would be nice to have a 2 5/8 inch brim from off the rack even if I have a few custom ones.

Indy, you can pull that Jaxon with the 2 3/8 brim and look great, just a matter of taste.
Just edit that sentence out and you won't have said it!;) :D
I think it was a 2 1/2!? I don't know now I will have to look it up, I sent that hat off to Colby Jack. Haven't put it on since I got my granite from Art...lol There are only 2 fedoras that I really still want that are not from Art ( I already know the next 3 I want from him) one being a Borsalino Allessandria and the other possibly this one. I am hoping it will be much like a whippet since there is nil chance of finding one of those in my size and budget.

Edit: I looked it up and you are right 2 3/8! I never would have thought it.

Ande1964

Practically Family
I understand that an eighth makes some difference. But, when a corporation gets this many things right, I'm gonna support them in the endeavor... an eighth this side of ideal or not.

Anj

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Ande1964 said:
But, when a corporation gets this many things right, I'm gonna support them in the endeavor... an eighth this side of ideal or not.

Anj
Especially with a wide brim binding and pumpkinhead sizes this may be my only shot at something close to a whippet from Stetson!:)

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Hatco could make the hat a 2 5/8 inch brim if we ordered it that way. I figured that people would want a standard 2 1/2" brim. Perhaps I could ask for a Cav edge !!. Nah , just kidding.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

PS. What other color would people be interested in?

carldelo

One Too Many
besdor said:
Hatco could make the hat a 2 5/8 inch brim if we ordered it that way. I figured that people would want a standard 2 1/2" brim. Perhaps I could ask for a Cav edge !!. Nah , just kidding.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

PS. What other color would people be interested in?

2-1/2" sounds Jake to me as well, esp. with binding, even though so far I have chosen smaller brims. Caribou is a color I'm missing, so that's what I'm interested in.

I agree with the comment about brim width and crown height working together to make a hat harmonious, yet I never hear people sweating over a 1/4" +/- on crown height, presumably because it can be adjusted. By that reasoning, the open crown on the Nostalgia could be bashed to satisfy the brim/crown proportion of choice.

OK, I'm really just stirring the pot, :p. I do agree that 1/8" difference can be perceived. This got me thinking about the role of the Golden Mean in visual proportions. The Golden Mean can be determined in a couple of different ways; its numerical value is approximately 1.618; lengths that are in this proportion will generally appear harmonious. I took this value and multiplied it by common brim widths to calculate crown heights that should look harmonious - here's what comes out, with crown heights rounded to the nearest 1/16".

Brim - - - - Crown
2-1/4" - - - 3-5/8"
2-3/8" - - - 3-7/8"
2-1/2" - - - 4-1/16"
2-5/8" - - - 4-1/4"
2-3/4" - - - 4-7/16"​

These all look like pretty standard bashed crown heights. So maybe you guys that like wider brims also like taller crowns? I myself prefer a 4" or less crown. My Chatham has a 2-3/8" brim and a crown height at the front pinch of a little over 3-3/4" - maybe this is why it looks so good to me. Anyway, this doesn't prove anything, I just think the numbers are interesting.

Cheers, Carl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff