Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Homburg??

laotou

One of the Regulars
This came up a while back on another thread.
rlk had a good answer:
"If you have the funds Aerol's Optimo Hats suggestion is tops. Milan's are more common and available from major brands. Many Panamas with med-wide brims can be obtained inexpensively and re-blocked to a Homburg form or purchased un-blocked. Obviously this requires a hatter or the appropriate blocks and experience. Vintage examples are somewhat rare( I have an Ecuadorian Supernatural)."

If I was ready for one would be "Help me Panama Bob!"
But I just got my first Montecristi from him and the new hat fund needs replenished.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I, too would love to have a straw Homberg just like the one David Suchet wears as Poirot in the current PBS series.

There's an Optimo that appears to be right on the money, but it's money that's the problem: I just dont' think I'd wear it enough to justify the cost.

I was at my aunt's funeral this past weekend in Mississippi, and on the drive from the funeral home to the 11:00 AM graveside service, the radio weatherman said the heat index was already 112 degrees F.

There was no canopy over the grave at this country cemetary, and the sun was beating down mercilessly on my heat-absorbing dark brown hair and navy suit. The service was anything but brief, and it was then that I realized that several hundred bucks for an Optimo Straw Homberg would have been well worth it.

Clothing ranged from suits and ties like me to slacks and open-neck shirts. Even so and given the oppressive heat, I wonder if a straw homberg would have been formal enough for the occassion? If not, is there any sun-blocking hat style that would have been appropriate?

dnjan

One Too Many
I had my first (and so far only - wait til next year) PanamaBob hat blocked with an Homburg top crease but had the brim done as a snap-brim. Not quite as formal as an Homburg, but easier to wear more often.
PB-hat02.jpg

PB-hat-on-302.jpg

undertaker

Practically Family
AlterEgo said:
I wonder if a straw homberg would have been formal enough for the occassion? If not, is there any sun-blocking hat style that would have been appropriate?

I intend to wear this hat on funerals. My regular straw does not seem formal enough with a suit. I wear homburgs all winter so the straw homburg seems like the thing. When we watched our first Poirot, my wife says "he dresses like you." So I guess I will go all the way. I already have the swan cane and lapel vase. It just looks very classy to me.

:eek:fftopic: And on a side note I have been to alot of funerals and they are seldom brief in the south in the heat or cold lol.

Regards,
J.S.

dnjan

One Too Many
Thanks! Moustache has been like that for over 30 years (except not as gray). Added the beard about 5 years ago, and now I get regular compliments on the moustache.

Edward

Bartender
On the contrary, I would be of the opinion that that light ribbon is much more flexible. Being close to the colour of the hat, it makes it more wearable with both earthtones and blacks. A black ribbon on a straw always looks out of place to me when it is worn with primarily earthtones, brown shoes, etc.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Edward said:
On the contrary, I would be of the opinion that that light ribbon is much more flexible. Being close to the colour of the hat, it makes it more wearable with both earthtones and blacks. A black ribbon on a straw always looks out of place to me when it is worn with primarily earthtones, brown shoes, etc.

I agree. That said, I haven't gotten used to my straw homburg w/light ribbon and I'm not really comfortable with it yet. It seems a little flashier than I usually sport.

undertaker

Practically Family
Torpedo said:
Hi,

Is that the "natural" colour they offer?

I agree the light ribbon can be somewhat limiting.

Yes, this is the natural. I may leave this ribbon for awhile and see if it grows on me. I can see how it might be more "versitile". I guess it is just different and I am a creature of habit. I will try to get some closer shots later on this evening.

Thanks,
J.S.

Poirotwannabe

New in Town
I LOVE the cane. I assume by your attire that you are dressing as Poirot. It isn't clear from the photograph, but your cane bears a striking resemblance to Poirot's "Sleeping Swan" walking stick. Could you tell me where you found it? I've been looking for one for ages (even contacting the BBC) but have had no luck.

- Joe -

Poirotwannabe

New in Town
The Cane is wonderful!

I LOVE the cane. I assume by your attire that you are dressing as Poirot. It isn't clear from the photograph, but your cane bears a striking resemblance to Poirot's "Sleeping Swan" walking stick. Could you tell me where you found it? I've been looking for one for ages (even contacting the BBC) but have had no luck.

- Joe -
I ordered the Biltmore and it came today. My only complaint is the ribbon color, i think I would have rather had a black ribbon.

poirot006.jpg

Regards,
J.S.

coble

A-List Customer
Great post, I had the same question. Everytime I watch a film set in the Belle Epoque during the summer or in the "colonies" during the interwar period I get this strong desire for a straw homburg to wear with a linen suit...
Now I just make do with my Panama...

278.jpg

18866245.jpg

what movie is this, i've never seen this before.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
It isn't clear from the photograph, but your cane bears a striking resemblance to Poirot's "Sleeping Swan" walking stick. Could you tell me where you found it? I've been looking for one for ages (even contacting the BBC) but have had no luck.

- Joe -

Ditto! I must know where you got this walking stick!

Yaderp

New in Town
Summer alternative to fur Homburg?

I usually can be found wearing one of my Homburgs due to the fact that due to my professional position I am always dressed in a fine suit. This year, however, I have begun to consider a lighter, cooler alternative for the summer months. Thing is, I have little experience with Panama type hats, but I am drawn to the Optimo style, but I just am not sure. Another consideration is the stiffness of the hat. As a longtime Homburg wearer, I am quite accustomed to having a stiff hat which the Panamas which I have seen are not. Can anyone offer a suggestion for a hat, lightweight, not necessarily straw, that is suitable to pair with a conservative, bespoke suit. Thank you.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Welcome-- Sunbody makes palm straw homburgs, and you could certainly get any custom hatter to make one for you. check out the threads on Falcon Park, Art Fawcett, Black Sheep, Optimo, Buckaroo Hats, among others. Lately the hybrid hats (straw crown with felt brim) have been coming back, too.
I've seen a shantung version by Dobbs which looks pretty clumsy and it's helmet-stiff, IMHO.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I'd second the Sunbody idea. Sunbody hats are inexpensive, but worth more than you pay. They are a fairly heavy grass, and it helps a LOT to put in vent grommets. Since you live in Tennessee, I'd suggest that you get in touch with Major Moore to see what the least expensive route to go with is. Unless you know exactly what crown height and brim width you want / need for a homburg I'd suggest a "starter hat".

http://www.buckaroohatters.com/

I purchased my last Sunbody for roughly $65 total including the hat, shaping, grommets, and the ribbon.

My last Sunbody hat is on the following page:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35187-THE-SUNBODY-ASSOCIATION/page32

it's not the same shape etc but that's what I paid the $65 for (in Wichita, not from Mike Moore). You can get a Panama hat, but I haven't seen any on-line that come shaped as a Homburg.

Good luck and have fun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR