Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Renault

One Too Many
It is the real thing.

Found it in an antique store in Kansas. Still learning my jäger horn signals!

Can play hirsch tot and sau tot. Just no time to practice with all I have going on.

LadyBaltimore

Familiar Face
I just recently bought a couple of vintage canvas and wood camping chairs for my living room. I know, not really "living room" furniture, but all my seating is already unconventional and I actually love old camping chairs, and beach lounge type chairs as well. I find them quite comfortable and of course much lovelier than today's metal counterparts with cup holders. Furthermore, if they're in my way, I can just fold them up.

The red canvas has been replaced (a bit of a bummer), but the striped is original:

$_57.JPG

And hey, if I ever go camping, I'll be ready!

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
I just recently bought a couple of vintage canvas and wood camping chairs for my living room. I know, not really "living room" furniture, but all my seating is already unconventional and I actually love old camping chairs, and beach lounge type chairs as well. I find them quite comfortable and of course much lovelier than today's metal counterparts with cup holders. Furthermore, if they're in my way, I can just fold them up.

The red canvas has been replaced (a bit of a bummer), but the striped is original:

$_57.JPG

And hey, if I ever go camping, I'll be ready!

Wow, they look great! I saw a family who had two of these but with a more 70's floral pattern, camping this summer, their pitch looked pretty neat, they had a VW camper van and 4 meter bell tent, too much bunting for my taste but it did look cute.

These would have suited their camp. Can you source canvas with stripes? at least a contrast to the seat straps or a bit more sun bleaching would help/

Good find.

LadyBaltimore

Familiar Face
Thanks, Renault! I live in what my friend refers to as the Bermuda Triangle of package deliveries, so I had these shipped to my mom, I can't wait to pick them up and see them in person. :)

Thanks, Mr. Godfrey! I'm sure there's some vintage canvas around for sell somewhere, but it'd probably be pretty difficult to get the same color/stripe match, and I think I may prefer them stripes with solids, than mismatched stripes (although they're still a little mismatchy with the new/old). I'll see how I like them as is, for a while, anyway. I would have loved to have seen the old canvas that was replaced though, because I wonder if it was really too worn to use, or just that someone thought it needed updating, whereas, I love when things show their age.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This looks like the thread where folks should know, so I hope someone can help me out here. I'm looking for some leggins/gaiters (or whatever these lower leg coverings might be called) like the ones in the old photo below. This is a photo of my grandfather, Will Brown, Sr., taken about 1904. I can't tell if the leggins are lace-up (button-up?) or are pull-on by the way he's standing. They do appear to be canvas (or some heavy duty cloth). I can easily see the strap under the shoe, but I can't tell if that is the faintest of glimpse of a draw string at the top or a partial view of a lacing string (or just a "blip" on the old photo).

If anyone has any information on this type of leggin/gaiter, it would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has any information and/or recommendations on sources for reproduction leggins/gaiters like this, it would be most appreciated. I should add, I'm a big guy (the calf on my legs are the size of most people's thighs :) ), so any reproduction items I could use would have to be from a source who custom makes such items.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Renault

One Too Many
Big Man,
Those appear to be the issue legging from the Spanish American War. Currently there is no one I know of who is reproducing them. Jerry Lee at What Price Glory want to recreate them but is in need of a good original pair to use for patterns. He hasn't had any luck.
I have a skookum pair of originals that I should think about trading to him. I just haven't decided to as of yet as they are really nice. However he does have the M1917 Legging both mounted and dismounted and the M1908 Legging. Go to his site and check them out. The M1917 is closer to what you are looking for but they are probably 4"-5" shorter.

Renault

One Too Many
You may also look at his repro M1938 legging. They are as just about as tall as the one in the photo you supplied. They are just a bit different in their manufacturing. But dang close. All The repro leggings are also better constructed for 21st century calves!!! An added bonus!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Big Man,
Those appear to be the issue legging from the Spanish American War. Currently there is no one I know of who is reproducing them. Jerry Lee at What Price Glory want to recreate them but is in need of a good original pair to use for patterns. He hasn't had any luck.
I have a skookum pair of originals that I should think about trading to him. I just haven't decided to as of yet as they are really nice. However he does have the M1917 Legging both mounted and dismounted and the M1908 Legging. Go to his site and check them out. The M1917 is closer to what you are looking for but they are probably 4"-5" shorter.

Thanks for the information. My grandfather was in the Philippine Insurrection and saw service in the Philippines. I knew the general range of time the photo was taken, but always felt it was a post-war photo. I guess I may have been wrong. I think the necktie is what threw me off. It didn't look "military" to me.

I'll give the What Price Glory site a look. Again, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21