Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

fireman

One of the Regulars
One of our members posted in an old thread the following advice (sorry, can't remember the name/link):

Don't wear Khaki Travel vests in the city. One of the primary reasons to wear one is to conceal a pistol. Most of us shooters ASSUME that anyone wearing a khaki vest or a fanny pack is carrying, badly. Just a heads up. I hope I didn't burst the bubble there, but khaki vests are kind of notorious. Note khaki vests—you could probably buy an olive drab one from Cabelas's and be OK. For some reason, no one carries in a safari jacket.

Being mistaken for an armed civilian is probably not an issue outside the US, to be honest. Here in Canada you'd just look like the sort of middle-aged man who never married and is hard-core into vintage home "hi-fi" stereos and builds kit models of WW2 tanks and drives a dusty but rust-free Corolla and wears eyeglasses with flip-up dark lenses. But yeah, I hear you about it being a bit oddball. That said, who cares? haha'
Yeah, I don't want to wear the "shoot me first vest". Seems like stylish vests appear after Oct. 1 and disappear sometime in April

Edward

Bartender
One of our members posted in an old thread the following advice (sorry, can't remember the name/link):

Don't wear Khaki Travel vests in the city. One of the primary reasons to wear one is to conceal a pistol. Most of us shooters ASSUME that anyone wearing a khaki vest or a fanny pack is carrying, badly. Just a heads up. I hope I didn't burst the bubble there, but khaki vests are kind of notorious. Note khaki vests—you could probably buy an olive drab one from Cabelas's and be OK. For some reason, no one carries in a safari jacket.

Being mistaken for an armed civilian is probably not an issue outside the US, to be honest. Here in Canada you'd just look like the sort of middle-aged man who never married and is hard-core into vintage home "hi-fi" stereos and builds kit models of WW2 tanks and drives a dusty but rust-free Corolla and wears eyeglasses with flip-up dark lenses. But yeah, I hear you about it being a bit oddball. That said, who cares? haha

Khaki, as in the colour? Is it something about the colour that carries this association (the way black trenchcoats had a certain association for some time after Columbine), or...?

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Khaki, as in the colour? Is it something about the colour that carries this association (the way black trenchcoats had a certain association for some time after Columbine), or...?
It's not the color. Around here it's a stereotypical garment famed for older men that are carrying a pistol. It's "concealed" but screams "I have a gun" to anyone that knows. If someone has bad intentions they are the first ones targeted to either gain access to a gun or to eliminate a possible threat. It'd be comical if it wasn't such a hazard.
Typically it's khaki or army green, worn over a Hawaiian or Cuban style shirt. Jean shorts, and usually knee-high white or black socks with sandals or dad shoes. Typical old man clothes with no style points. Bonus if it has mustard stains.

A depraved game I played with some cop friends is "Who dies first". We people watch and discuss what would happen in a mass casualty event at that moment. As the shooter, who is the first target? It's not funny but a good exercise for them. One of the first things we learned from this is khaki vests are bullet magnets. That's why I avoid them.
Unless you're a photographer with at least one camera hanging off you tend to stand out. The cameras give a reason for the pocket vests.

fireman

One of the Regulars
It's not the color. Around here it's a stereotypical garment famed for older men that are carrying a pistol. It's "concealed" but screams "I have a gun" to anyone that knows. If someone has bad intentions they are the first ones targeted to either gain access to a gun or to eliminate a possible threat. It'd be comical if it wasn't such a hazard.
Typically it's khaki or army green, worn over a Hawaiian or Cuban style shirt. Jean shorts, and usually knee-high white or black socks with sandals or dad shoes. Typical old man clothes with no style points. Bonus if it has mustard stains.

A depraved game I played with some cop friends is "Who dies first". We people watch and discuss what would happen in a mass casualty event at that moment. As the shooter, who is the first target? It's not funny but a good exercise for them. One of the first things we learned from this is khaki vests are bullet magnets. That's why I avoid them.
Unless you're a photographer with at least one camera hanging off you tend to stand out. The cameras give a reason for the pocket vests.
Bro...don't be hating on the old guys!:D

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, I forgot the word has different meanings. Where I'm from, or rather in the milieu which I inhabit, khaki just means "light tan" or "stone" coloured cotton AND/OR traditional American cotton casual pants (aka chinos). I recognize (and usually forget) that technically and historically speaking khaki refers to the US Army's olive-greenish colour cotton dating from WW2.

Edward

Bartender

I should bear that in mind when I'm next headed to the US. It's not something as would have occurred to me.

Edward

Bartender
Sorry, I forgot the word has different meanings. Where I'm from, or rather in the milieu which I inhabit, khaki just means "light tan" or "stone" coloured cotton AND/OR traditional American cotton casual pants (aka chinos). I recognize (and usually forget) that technically and historically speaking khaki refers to the US Army's olive-greenish colour cotton dating from WW2.

That variance always amuses me too. I always think of it as a light tan colour, I remember being very confused the first time I encountered American "khakis" being offered in a wide range of colours!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Sheez....that’s some broad brush you're painting that picture with fella.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
unicef UNI318712.jpg unicef 48d9598a-539c-4118-82e3-de901da543d6.jpg unicef 84370.jpg

Edward

Bartender
So, getting everything tidied up here in Beijing ahead of my last class tomorrow morning and flying back to London tomorrow evening, I was reminded I promised some photos of my bike / travel vest.

1682687005205.jpeg

I've been in two different hotels this last couple of weeks, teaching at two different campuses. Took these shots over at ShaHe before checking out of that hotel to taxi across town to Deshengmen. This is it fully loaded - my passport, UK phone, UK wallets down one side, and China phone, wallet and money clip down the other. A small amount of bulk to it, so I can see the 'concealed carry' imagery it has for those in the US. What springs to mind for me is the flack jackets the PSNI (formerly the RUC) wear. Very comfy, though.

This is the back pocket (there are two A3 caps in there in this shot):
1682687329000.jpeg

You can see the rear logo patch in that shot. It's fairly unobtrusive; I may or may not go at it with a stitch ripper at some point. I'd prefer no external branding, but what is on this isn't exactly obnoxious.

Side shot, all fully loaded with cabin baggage:
1682687502184.jpeg

Definitely a step up from the previous, cheaper kutte I had as a concept-test run. I expect I might well wear this as a casual alternative to a jacket at some point this Summer when it's too warm for a jacket but I'm still able to have a top layer. The brimmed hat is stylistically sub-optimal with it imo, but ultimately a look born of necessity: I wanted to have a brimmed hat with me for wearing while here, and when doing a trip for a fortnight, this was the only way I could actually fit it in as no space in the case for the hat box I'd have otherwise had it in.

Two more trips to Beijing coming up, in late May and mid-June, so this will be worn again this year.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This has been touched upon in other threads, but no one did adventure clothing in a more fun way than did the original “Banana Republic” store (in the 1980s, before it was bought by the Gap and became an abomination.) Anyone who misses those old travel/adventure catalogues of days gone by is in luck: Someone —a genius!— has lovingly posted all the safari gear catalogues online. They are a real treat to browse through:

https://www.secretfanbase.com/banana/

3B4DB663-145A-47DC-B061-FBB771A8F878.jpeg

Correus

Familiar Face
This has been touched upon in other threads, but no one did adventure clothing in a more fun way than did the original “Banana Republic” store (in the 1980s, before it was bought by the Gap and became an abomination.) Anyone who misses those old travel/adventure catalogues of days gone by is in luck: Someone —a genius!— has lovingly posted all the safari gear catalogues online. They are a real treat to browse through:

https://www.secretfanbase.com/banana/

View attachment 513147

The owner of the site is a friend; she has done a stellar job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner