Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Flying Scotsman said:
I gotta tell ya, you may not like the colors and nylon and all, but modern tents are the way to go for any kind of backcountry stuff (unless you are a *real* outdoors kinda guy like a friend of mine, who camps in the winter in the backcountry of Yellowstone using just a tarp! Brrrrr!).

I guess it is all subjective. I find I sleep better outdoors without a tent at all, just wrapped up in my blanket and greatcoat. The only situations where I think a tent is really useful is in an area with constant rain, or one where the wind chill causes major problems otherwise.

I would say that an individual person camping/hiking needs a tent most though. The more people you have in a group, the easier it is. You can carry versatile tents like zeltbahns and all huddle together for warmth at night (this REALLY helps!).

Rooster

Practically Family
Here's some nifty adventure threads. Willis & Geiger cotton twill sport coat with a belted back and leather trim, Willis & Geiger poplin bush shirt topped off with a skinny green and brown cotton tie , 60's english paddock boots and a Akubra Squatter. Well maybe more of a country gentleman look than a real adventure look......:eusa_doh:
WG1.jpg
[/IMG]
WG2.jpg
[/IMG]

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
More Military than Adventuring, perhaps- but he deserves to be here-

V067.jpg

B
T
Absolutely! The leopard skin rug alone puts it into the adventure category! I've been dying to pull up the wall-to-wall carpeting in my living room and put down a hard wood or laminate floor. Carpet doesn't work in the desert anyway, but I'd much prefer one of those fake zebra skin rugs that are dyed cow hides. I actually have permission of the wife to do so, too, one of these days.

Rooster, good combo! Walking out dress is always appropriate (and often required) on an adventure, after all!

Rooster

Practically Family
Rooster, good combo! Walking out dress is always appropriate (and often required) on an adventure, after all!
Thanks! I've got some real adventure clothes coming in a week or two, I'll post some pics then....think "The English Patient"....but not the bathing scene with Kristen Scott Thomas.....:whistling :arated: lol HUBBA HUBBA!

oswulf

New in Town
Vladimir Berkov said:
I guess it is all subjective. I find I sleep better outdoors without a tent at all, just wrapped up in my blanket and greatcoat. The only situations where I think a tent is really useful is in an area with constant rain, or one where the wind chill causes major problems otherwise.

I would say that an individual person camping/hiking needs a tent most though. The more people you have in a group, the easier it is. You can carry versatile tents like zeltbahns and all huddle together for warmth at night (this REALLY helps!).

Yup, when I was a lot younger a nice wool blanket was all I needed. As the years piled on I found I wanted much more stuff to be able to sleep through the night without waking up cold and sore. Nowadays an air mattress and good sleeping bag surrounded by a large tent to keep all the other plunder dry is the minimum. I get my Airstream back on the road and tents can take a hike themselves.:D

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Zulu Wars Clobber?

BellyTank said:
More Military than Adventuring, perhaps- but he deserves to be here-

V067.jpg

B
T

I might be wrong here but remembering the movie 'Breaker Morant' this guy is in the uniform of the auxiliaries that fought for the Brits in the Zulu Wars and later in the Boer Wars. Was it the Cape Dutch Rifles or some such regiment?

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Nice pic BT! The leopard skin is awesome... just wish I could hunt one and bring it to the states.

The era looks around the Zulu Wars to me too... or maybe the Matabele Wars. Boer War would probably be too late though... the piths were sorta starting to be phased out around then, unless I am mistaken.

I like that photo as well Rooster. Sure doesn't hurt anything to look the country gentleman.

By the way... to take this thread even further off topic, how do you like the Squatter? I've been thinking about buying one and bashing it to look like the Akubra R.M. Williams (basically the same hat, only the Squatter is cheaper) but I don't know whether I want to take the plunge or not [huh]

Cobden

Practically Family
cookie said:
I might be wrong here but remembering the movie 'Breaker Morant' this guy is in the uniform of the auxiliaries that fought for the Brits in the Zulu Wars and later in the Boer Wars. Was it the Cape Dutch Rifles or some such regiment?

Bit later then that - the bandolier is 03 pattern, and the Wolseley pattern pith helmet wasn't issued until 1905 (IIRC). The Uniform is British or perhaps commonwealth. Definately pre World War One, and the uniform looks to be locally ("chogi") made, either at a personal or unit level - definately not the sealed pattern issued one. Spurs and leggings mean he must have been cavalry or artillary, I'd say Royal Artillary seeing as he's wearing a white lanyard.

Lovely photo, BTW

Rooster

Practically Family
how do you like the Squatter?
I like it real well. I got it off of a fellow board member for $45 a few weeks ago.
Be warned, it has a 3" brim. Lot's of folks consider that on the large side, but it suits me fine, country bumpkin that I am.;)
Keep an eye on ebay, they pop up evry now and again.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Rooster said:
I like it real well. I got it off of a fellow board member for $45 a few weeks ago.
Be warned, it has a 3" brim. Lot's of folks consider that on the large side, but it suits me fine, contry bumpkin that I am.;)
Keep an eye on ebay, they pop up evry now and again.

Actually, a 3-inch fits me pretty well I think. I'm a country bumpkin too though.

I have always seen the appeal of a fedora style, but I could never seem to find one that I really was into. This appears to be it. Now all I need to do is free up some room on the hat rack... get rid of that old fedora I never wear anymore... [huh]

Mike K.

One Too Many
Oooh, Cape Buffalo...totally unpredictable and a real die-hard.
An old colleague hit one square between the eyes with a .30-06 and the bullet deflected right off.
Of course anything less than a .375H&H is no longer legal.
If my shoulder could take it, I'd have gone with a 4 bore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav