Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Vladimir Berkov said:
scooter-cannon.jpg
Talk about a rumble seat! My wife said "crotch rocket".

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
My contribution

Here's my "Big Game Hunter" outfit. Maybe it's more lion tamer.

VAPICS213.jpg

VAPICS216.jpg

Hat is a classic Stetson flat top crown that was my grandfather's. Shirt is a Cabela's safari series. Jodhpurs are east German surplus (I used to live in Berlin). Boots are Chippewa snake boots. My rifle is a .58 cal black powder double and revolver is a nickel/silver cap and ball .44 cal.

Am I ready for the man eaters of Tsavo?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nice job, Trader!
How very Alan Quartermain of you. :)

Here is another one of my J. Peterman jacket from this weekend outside of The Phoenix Art Museum. This is more suited for Tea in the Sahara than big game. I like this better with the striped pants than the khaki tuxedo I posted earlier in this thread. :)

I had cool leather braces, but you can't see them in this shot.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Ric, great gear. I have those same jodhs and we clearly share the same taste in shirts (even to the shade)! I've also been eyeing those Chippewas for some time. I could rationalize them, since we certainly get our share of rattlers around here, but I'd probably never wear them in this heat.

What I definately do not have, though, is that that awesome double! Is that a repro or original? Do you still fire it?

Hem, sharp as always, but what's wrong with the khaki tuxedo?! Maybe if the jacket and pants don't match exactly it can be bad, but otherwise I've been searching high and low for a good khaki twill suit in a nice summer weight fabric. They're rather hard to find!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
Hem, sharp as always, but what's wrong with the khaki tuxedo?! Maybe if the jacket and pants don't match exactly it can be bad, but otherwise I've been searching high and low for a good khaki twill suit in a nice summer weight fabric. They're rather hard to find!
Thanks, well, there's nothing wrong with a khaki suit, but a safari jacket with pants that are an exact match are not my taste. Now, a thirties linen suit with a sport back and matching trousers in my size would be the find of a lifetime. :)

General officers have traditionally been allowed a little leeway on personalized uniforms. (I think Patton was pushin' it, but he was at a time when the world needed heroes and he was one of the best candidates of the moment, or so the official thinking probably went. Wouldn't do to just court-martial a national hero over some trivial bit of uniform, would it?lol )

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Jovan said:
The jodhpurs remind me of Patton's self-made uniforms. (How did he get away with that, anyhow?)
He was a general at a time when general's could do stuff like that. MacArthur did the same thing. Not many were as flamboyant as Patton, though. I'm not sure when the regs changed on stuff like that, but the Army general-grade officers still wear the belt denoting their status. Not the greatest example, but here's one being worn by Army Brigadier General Jesse R. Cross:

star.gif

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Thanks, well, there's nothing wrong with a khaki suit, but a safari jacket with pants that are an exact match are not my taste. Now, a thirties linen suit with a sport back and matching trousers in my size would be the find of a lifetime. :)
Ah, I do see the distinction!

I've recently ordered a linen suit from Land's End. The armholes are awful, though, and ths fit is pretty baggy. I also ordered a khaki twill sportcoat from LL Bean, who won't offer matching trousers, and tried to match a pair of their trousers anyway! We'll see if I was successful! lol Oddly, I usually have trouble with the sleeves o jsut about anyhting being too short. My 42 Long in my LL Bean Traveler sportcoat is perfect, but the sleeves on this sportcoat dangle past my knuckles. :eusa_doh: I just can't win!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
Ah, I do see the distinction!

I've recently ordered a linen suit from Land's End. The armholes are awful, though, and ths fit is pretty baggy. I also ordered a khaki twill sportcoat from LL Bean, who won't offer matching trousers, and tried to match a pair of their trousers anyway! We'll see if I was successful! lol Oddly, I usually have trouble with the sleeves o jsut about anyhting being too short. My 42 Long in my LL Bean Traveler sportcoat is perfect, but the sleeves on this sportcoat dangle past my knuckles. :eusa_doh: I just can't win!
I have had good luck dressing up my Brooks Brothers Poplin suit. It's not the best cut, but it is great material and has a decent fit. They can be had for less than $200 at the outlets.

J Crew has a three piece linen suit, but the lapels are very narrow, as if from the early 60s, which is fine, but not my taste. I want wide lapels. I want bat wings! I want to be able to eject from a plane and soar to the ground with my lapels. ;)

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Hey guys I am heading off to work in West Africa this Friday. I will be gone 4-6 weeks and probably will not be posting here at FL due to bandwith. I'll try and get some decent pictures while I am there, but keep in mind I am working. I'll post some of my typical work clothes type photos, etc., when I get back. Trashy stuff since I will be in a work camp this time.

Cheers,

M8

Have a good trip & return to us safe and sound!

Martinis at 8 said:
Hey guys I am heading off to work in West Africa this Friday. I will be gone 4-6 weeks and probably will not be posting here at FL due to bandwith. I'll try and get some decent pictures while I am there, but keep in mind I am working. I'll post some of my typical work clothes type photos, etc., when I get back. Trashy stuff since I will be in a work camp this time. Cheers, M8

Bon Voyage!

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
Ric, great gear. I have those same jodhs and we clearly share the same taste in shirts (even to the shade)! I've also been eyeing those Chippewas for some time. I could rationalize them, since we certainly get our share of rattlers around here, but I'd probably never wear them in this heat.

What I definately do not have, though, is that that awesome double! Is that a repro or original? Do you still fire it?

MJ,
The rifle is a pedersoli repro from Cabela's. It was my christmas present last year. It's a big hit at the monthly blak powder shoots at my local rifle club! It shoots great on the range, but I haven't taken it hunting yet. This fall will be another loss due to an upcoming deployment to the usual places.

The chippewas are not very heavy. I usually wear heavy kilt hose when I use them with breeks.

Doug C

Practically Family
Vintage looking TENTS ?

Do Tents fall under "accoutraments" ? Hope this is the right section to post this.

Basically I've never done much camping but have really developed an erge to get into it heavily. Not much into the camper scene and would lean more towards primative trekking/camping. Actually I'd like to do some family camping as well as primative trekking/camping. I will be need to get a tent for each..prefer a vintage looking wall tent for the family stuff and something smaller for when it's just me and my son or a 1 other friend. I am a little turned off by the modern colorfull nylon looking tents available. Are there any retailers I should look to ?

I had an idea to buy up a few military surplus pup tents and have a canvas shoppe sew 'em together to create a wall tent. I know there are mfg of new canvas wall tents but they are usually the off white canvas and the OD military canvas would have an instant coolness about it, besides being cheaper probably. What do you folks think? Any suggestions or comments?

Doug C

Mike K.

One Too Many
Safari Jacket Question

Does anybody own one of the Lost Worlds safari jackets? I'd like to know if they have high armholes. It seems like all the other modern safari jackets have enormous armholes and the fit is awful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner