Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When you say "primitive trekking/camping" just how "primitive" do you mean? Having done my fair share of 18th century "trekking" (I never did like that term), there are a number of suppliers of fairly "period correct" tents (from very early times up through mid to late 19th century). Try a web search for Panther Primitives or Tentsmiths, just to name a few.

Hope this helps.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
I gotta tell ya, you may not like the colors and nylon and all, but modern tents are the way to go for any kind of backcountry stuff (unless you are a *real* outdoors kinda guy like a friend of mine, who camps in the winter in the backcountry of Yellowstone using just a tarp! Brrrrr!).

Modern tents are lightweight (you'll appreciate that after a few miles with it in your pack), easy to set up (especially in the dark using just a headlamp), breathe better (not as clammy inside, which leads to cold), waterproof ('nuff said), roomier for their designed occupancy, and usually are designed with all sorts of niceties like an alcove (so you can put your boots on without getting soaked in a downpour, etc.).

You can haul an old army tent (or two shelter halfs, if you want :) ), but you'll almost certainly regret it. They're probably okay for car-camping (unless it's raining), but no way I'd slap one in my pack and head into the backcountry. The weight alone would deter me.

Just my take on things... :)

Cobden

Practically Family
Vladimir Berkov said:
My goggles. They turn everything a radioactive yellow/green color.

I think I have a pair of those -british Army desert goggles, if I'm not mistaken? The tie behind the back system combined with an exact description of the interesting colour mutilation gives it away :p

Haversack

One Too Many
Tentsmiths in particular does a variety of 19th C. - early 20th C. tents in Egyptian Cotton based on the different expedition tents used by explorers of that era. They also make reproduction WWII German tents. Myself, I've had one of their French wedge tents for 16 years.

You'll find the natural coloured canvas is a lot cooler than O.D. canvas. Also, if you have only ever camped in a nylon tent, you will find that a canvas tent is much more comfortable.

Haversack.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
I'm probably just remembering when I was a kid, and the tents (big ol' honkin' green army surplus things, or those Coleman jobbies) were hot, clammy and not waterproof. Oh, and a pain to set up. :)

How's the weight on these repro style shelters? That's a big one for me, as every extra pound of tent/sleeping bag/whatever is one less pound of good Cabernet I can cart into the Sierras! :)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Flying Scotsman said:
How's the weight on these repro style shelters? That's a big one for me, as every extra pound of tent/sleeping bag/whatever is one less pound of good Cabernet I can cart into the Sierras! :)

Now THERE'S a man with his priorities straight! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

Haversack

One Too Many

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Interesting stuff. Didn't know there was that big of a market for retro tents :)

"At first a 4.5 ounce per square yard seems excessively heavy, twice as heavy in fact as a nylon tent with its 2-3 ounce floor and 2 ounce roof."

Sounds like these are better for a different application, though...these guys are talking about wood-fired stoves inside a tent and such. (The modern nylon tents are also flame-resistant, something they sorta fail to mention on this site, but hey...they're in business, who can blame 'em?).

WARNING: NEVER EVER EVER cook inside a closed tent with a camp stove (or, really, anything)!

Anyway...neat-looking things, but I'll stick to my REI two-man Half Dome tent. It's perfect for me and my big ol' chocolate labrador retriever!

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Eeeew! Camping? After the Army I decided I would never be hot, cold, rained on, have my food rained on, be unwashed, etc.

I now enjoy the Great Indoors like Bellagio, Wynn, Mandalay Bay, Baden-Baden, Morton's steakhouse, etc. :D

Cheers,

M8

P.S. I have an old army pup tent (half shelter). Must be at least 50 years old - camouflage woodland on one side, camouflage desert on the other side.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Bedouin Tents

Wait till I post the pix of the Bedouin tent they set up in my backyard for my friend's wedding!! Watch this space ...she hasn't come back from her honeymoon yet.

Warden

One Too Many
If anyone in the UK wants a retro tent, we puchased ours from this place http://www.armytents.co.uk

To our pleasure both tents are 1944 dated. Fine if doing a military or Goverment impression at a living history event.

The tents are heavy and have solid poles, but we do use them when we go 'modern' camping as it is roomy and comfortable.

Also check out this link http://historycamp.woodcraftfolk.net/

I just love the great kit kat debate, I think it is fanastic that young folk of today take such an interest in our 'period'

Doug C

Practically Family
This thread was inspired a little by this picture:

Also, I have a book on order that is called "Expedition Canoeing" which sort of goes along with this subject.

Perhaps, a nice large canvas tent for Family trips (not soo "primative") and a nylon one for more solitary trips.

Doug C

Warlock

Suspended
Depending on how retro you want to go, you might look at the tents from Panther Primitives (www.pantherprimitives.com). I had one I used for years that was 20 x 20 in canvas in a Revolutionary War style. I used it for 11 tears, often leaving it up in all weather for weeks at a time. I sold it last summer and it is still in use. The only repairs it ever required were where it touched the ground. One bit of advice. Panther offers tents in the traditional waterproofed form, meaning they are wax treated. That is an inexpensive option, but it has its hazards. If you want a period tent consider the canvas they call Sunforger. I tested both fabric samples before my purchase with a lighter. The waxed canvas burns as you would expect. I could not get the Sunforger to sustain a flame on its own.

A few years ago I saw a beautiful waxed canvas tent about fifteen feet from a campfire go up one night. The occupants got out safely and managed to save most of their gear, but they were awakened by someone who saw the fire. Authenticity is desireable, but not being crispy.

Panther has a wide range of period tents. They are worth the price. I have known probably thirty to forty people who use them, and they all seemed very pleased with them.

Doug C

Practically Family
Very cool stuff in their gallery Haversack, I love the idea of a semi-permanent tent next to the pool. We had a pool built at our previous residence and that would have been great to sit under. Maybe something like a large German Troop Tent sitting on a wooden deck by the pool -

Add some cool colonial style outdoor furniture and a cot or two.

Doug C

doghouse

One of the Regulars
My husband and I were looking at this thread. He just told me to tell you guys that if you have a leaky tent, vintage or otherwise, spray Scotchgard HEAVILY on the outside of the tent. It won't leak anymore!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I just had to add this...

More Military than Adventuring, perhaps- but he deserves to be here-

V067.jpg

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav