Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
One thing which has been so warming in all this tragedy is the amount of support and aid which has come from all over the world. It's needed and very much appreciated.

I also want to say a huge thank you to Aussies. Being a Kiwi living in Oz, I was enormously humbled today as I had several strangers in shops and cafes on hearing my Kiwi accent come up and say how sorry they were about the quake. The letters to the editor in the paper today contained an outpouring of sadness, concern and mateship from Aussies. It is so incredibly warming to see the ANZAC spirit so strong.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tim, the Aussies and Kiwis have fought side by side in wars for the best part of a century and now we're helping each other through floods and earthquakes. I haven't had much time to get on the 'net here these last couple of days, but with every news report I've been thinking of you and my other NZ friends and I'm glad I finally got on to see how your folks are going over there. Thank God they're okay. We've always heard of tragedies like earthquakes and mudslides etc destroying lives and homes in far away places but this much destruction so close to home is unprecedented, and cuts us to the core.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
[video=youtube;Sr0guyNQQKE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr0guyNQQKE&feature=related[/video]

If Australian Tv Could again produce "Shows" of this quality I would be sorely temped to purchase a television set[video=youtube;Fd2DayVdrrM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd2DayVdrrM[/video]

was Mrs Mac On Valium?

[video=youtube;GMFCTvFrSs4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMFCTvFrSs4&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

Benny Holiday

I am glad there has been practical help, because I have been absolutely horrified by the ghoulish media coverage! Some really dismal journalism.

There's mounting criticism of the media's vulture-like approach in Sydney. Traumatised disaster victims in shock don't really need a microphone shoved in their faces with some clown asking them how they're feeling/coping/what was their experience.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
There's mounting criticism of the media's vulture-like approach in Sydney. Traumatised disaster victims in shock don't really need a microphone shoved in their faces with some clown asking them how they're feeling/coping/what was their experience.

And telling a trapped woman to "stay on the line" when she has already told them her battery is running down? Absolutely disgraceful.

lareine

A-List Customer
But guys spare a thought for lareine who is a Lounger based in Christchurch.

Lareine - hope you and yours are OK.
Thank you, my loved ones and I all came through the quake without a scratch. I was with my husband out on the street in the CBD when it happened, so we had bricks and glass raining down very close to us, but thankfully nothing made contact.

The city is utterly devastated and I don't know how it will ever recover. There will hardly be a building left standing in the city centre when the aftershocks and demolition have finished.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Great to hear you and your lot are OK Lareine. Take care.

And to any Aussies here, if you can spare a few pennies, the Commonwealth Bank has started a Chch earthquake fund. You can make a donation at any branch or online.

Tim, the Aussies and Kiwis have fought side by side in wars for the best part of a century and now we're helping each other through floods and earthquakes. I haven't had much time to get on the 'net here these last couple of days, but with every news report I've been thinking of you and my other NZ friends and I'm glad I finally got on to see how your folks are going over there. Thank God they're okay. We've always heard of tragedies like earthquakes and mudslides etc destroying lives and homes in far away places but this much destruction so close to home is unprecedented, and cuts us to the core.

Thanks for the kind words Wes. You are so right. I hadn't heard this until a mate sent me this but I think Julia Gillard actually summed it up perfectly when she spoke at the NZ parliament the other day...

''Australia has many alliances and friendships around the world - economic and defence partnerships of every kind,'' she said. ''But New Zealand alone is family.''

We are family.

What with bush fires, floods, cyclones and earthquakes, it's about time the Antipodes had a bloody break.

Benny Holiday

Thanks for the kind words Wes. You are so right. I hadn't heard this until a mate sent me this but I think Julia Gillard actually summed it up perfectly when she spoke at the NZ parliament the other day...

''Australia has many alliances and friendships around the world - economic and defence partnerships of every kind,'' she said. ''But New Zealand alone is family.''

We are family.

What with bush fires, floods, cyclones and earthquakes, it's about time the Antipodes had a bloody break.

Too right mate. Best news of the weekend is that Lareine and family are okay!

lareine

A-List Customer
Sad to say, 4.1 aftershocks are completely normal here at the moment. Barely worthy of mention. I still hate them, though, especially because our house is very near Tuesday's epicentre and we feel the shocks a lot more strongly than we did last September and over the last few months. The poor folk in Lyttelton must be getting a hammering, and a lot of the hill and cliffside communities on the Christchurch side of the Port Hills have been evacuated. A lot of people will never live in their homes again :(

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
This is worrying, a 4.5 quake has now hit Wellington.

You have to ask what's happening with that fault line.

dr greg

One Too Many
Shameless self promotion here:
my indigenous music project is touring Melbourne in a couple of weeks, not very retro to be sure, but unlike anything you've heard before.
URL=http://img46.imageshack.us/i/melpost22.jpg/]
melpost22.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass