Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of Manliness

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Art of Manliness is one of my favorite sites on the web. As a matter of fact, I think I found that site from a link here at the Fedora Lounge. That site is what turned me on to shaving with the old style DE razor. I tried it about 4 years ago and have thrown my newfangled multi-edged razors in the trash bin. Now I get the best shave ever.

It is *not*, however, a page the militant feminist would enjoy lol

Last edited:

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Most male teens and young adults aren't even going to bother looking at sites like FL or Art of Manliness, let alone listen to their Dads or to pick up a book and read about dress and grooming. They dress to 'fit in'. Whatever's fashionable among their peers that's the fashion they're more than likely going to wear. But then again, in the eyes of most observers, we would be considered a bit eccentric because we like to wear fedoras and vintage clothing.

I'm going to have to disagree. I'm 19 and I find the content on the AoM very interesting and relevant in my life. A lot of the "vintage" material is so old that it's new. Our parents grew up during the 90s and late 80s, most people dressed pretty badly after the 60s.

Also, these manly skills are so old that even my parents don't know them.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to disagree. I'm 19 and I find the content on the AoM very interesting and relevant in my life. A lot of the "vintage" material is so old that it's new. Our parents grew up during the 90s and late 80s, most people dressed pretty badly after the 60s.

Do your friends and other peers share this opinion, or do you find you're the "unique" person in any group of people your age? I ask because when I was growing up I and one close friend were the only people I knew in our age group who showed any interest in clothing, movies, music, etc., that existed before we/they were born.

By the way, if your parents grew up in the 80s and 90s, I'm old enough to be your grandfather. Thanks for making me feel old! :yo:

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Do your friends and other peers share this opinion, or do you find you're the "unique" person in any group of people your age? I ask because when I was growing up I and one close friend were the only people I knew in our age group who showed any interest in clothing, movies, music, etc., that existed before we/they were born.

By the way, if your parents grew up in the 80s and 90s, I'm old enough to be your grandfather. Thanks for making me feel old! :yo:

Same as you, a few selective friends of mine are Into the pre 70s lifestyle. Suits, hats, and women in dresses made the ideal time in history. The owner of The AoM is Mormon. Mormons believe that the 50s was the ideal time.

Because of the sexual revoloution, we do not have order in the Family. Men were men and women were women in he 50s.

Grey hair makes a man more masculine btw =).

No need to worry!

Same as you, a few selective friends of mine are Into the pre 70s lifestyle. Suits, hats, and women in dresses made the ideal time in history. The owner of The AoM is Mormon. Mormons believe that the 50s was the ideal time...
I don't disagree, but I think with the passing of time we tend to think of an "idealized" version of the 40s and 50s these days. I think life was simpler in those days because there wasn't such a dependence on all of the electronic gadgetry we have now (computers, the Internet, cell phones, laptops, tablets, etc.), but people in the 40s and 50 still had to work hard to put food on the table, clothing on their backs, and a roof over their heads. There were wars, hunger, crime, poverty, and pretty much everything else we're still dealing with today, so with regards to day-to-day life I don't think much has really changed since then.

...Because of the sexual revoloution, we do not have order in the Family. Men were men and women were women in he 50s...
Ah, but women and so-called minorities have gained far more equality (at least here in the U.S.) than most of them had in those days. Sadly, we still haven't completely eliminated sexism and racism, but I think most societies are at least making the effort to reach that goal.

...Grey hair makes a man more masculine btw =).

No need to worry!
No worries here, my friend; aging is just a natural part of life. I wish I had the energy I had 30 years ago, but otherwise it's all good!

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Good day . . .

[...]
No worries here, my friend; aging is just a natural part of life. I wish I had the energy I had 30 years ago, but otherwise it's all good!

Sure beats the alternative, don’t it?;)
As one of my old high school teachers used to say, “Any day on the top side of the grass . . . is a good day.”

So old that they pre-date the 90s?

Sure beats the alternative, don’t it?;)
As one of my old high school teachers used to say, “Any day on the top side of the grass . . . is a good day.”
Yes Sir! Whenever someone tosses off an overly-casual, "So how are you today?", my usual response is, "Well, I'm still above ground and not in jail, so I must be doing something right." :D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I've been perusing the AoM since coming across this thread, and cannot for the life of me think why anyone could think it's promoting neanderthal-like interpretations of "manliness" or why the name is "naff". Long may it promote one of the finer arts!

DesertDan

One Too Many
As I've stated elsewhere, I really like AoM and think it is a great site for all boys and men.
But I confess that I don't peruse it as often these days because since Bret updated the site it doesn't load and scroll very well on my computer.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There was a time when it was considered very bad manners to ask someone, upon first meeting him, "So, what do you do?" When I was living in Dublin back in the '70's (where unemployment was chronically about 50% and where yuu never asked it), an American girl asked that of a friend of mine in a pub one night, to which he said, "Well, I get up. Then I sit in the loo, and then I feed the cat,..." and went on like that for a good ten minutes.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Most male teens and young adults aren't even going to bother looking at sites like FL or Art of Manliness, let alone listen to their Dads or to pick up a book and read about dress and grooming. They dress to 'fit in'. Whatever's fashionable among their peers that's the fashion they're more than likely going to wear. But then again, in the eyes of most observers, we would be considered a bit eccentric because we like to wear fedoras and vintage clothing.

Noooo, you're never too old to be manly! I have a Grandson too and we both like going through the site! It's the manly thing to do! It's like watching the Red Green Show! ;)

Same as you, a few selective friends of mine are Into the pre 70s lifestyle. Suits, hats, and women in dresses made the ideal time in history. The owner of The AoM is Mormon. Mormons believe that the 50s was the ideal time.

Because of the sexual revoloution, we do not have order in the Family. Men were men and women were women in he 50s.

Grey hair makes a man more masculine btw =).

No need to worry!

Amen to all of the above ,I love that site and yes Dad's used to do that but from what I've seen lately as passing for " grown men " they could all use a few lessons on how to be a gentleman and a man !

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

P.S. I also love the red green show and yes Adrian you are correct in your observation on how women and men used to dress a shame I tell you .

Last edited:

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21