Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of Shaving

Smuterella

One Too Many
ooh, I've done the brazilian thing, its quite fun actually. apart from the time the waxer took it all off the front and left the underneath. not the look i was going for. I ended up leaving with it half done, in floods of tears, to limp painfully to another waxers with wax still stuck to me begging them to "fix me, somehow"

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
Sorry for bumping this thread, however, there is some discussion on the 'Badger and Blade' forums on this issue.

It seems that several women on the B&B forums have gone to either an injector type razor, or a double-edge safety razor for their legs and underarms. Here is the URL for one of the threads: http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35221&highlight=shaving+legs

BTW, throw the trac2, mach3, quad4, and its cousins away. You will never get a good shave from those.

Also, judging from the tears of my wife, the 'epilady' has to be one of the most painful torture devices ever invented. It would even make the Marquis de Sade proud.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I've been using an epilator for a few months now as I was hoping it would reduce my leg hair growth a bit. It hurts but it's totally tolerable - however I get horrific ingrowing hairs from it. I bought some tendskin which supposedly gets rid of them. It's basically alcohol but they charge you £12 for it... and it does nothing and smells terrible! I really really resent having to remove my body hair and if I was a stronger woman I wouldn't do it at all. But I am a vain and insecure creature and subject to societal pressures and beauty ideals just like every other woman... so I shave and wax and epilate and curse the skies above for making a hairless body the ideal of the age I live in!! I'm even considering getting my leg hair lasered or IPL-ed. I'm seriously debating spending hundreds of pounds to remove perfectly natural normal body hair - tell me it isn't insane ladies!!

Ok, rant over :)

Johanna

One of the Regulars
I don't shave anything because I don't really see the reason why. I have blonde and sparse body hair though so it's possible I'd shave my legs to get the shiny legs look if I had darker hairs. I've always found armpit hair quite beautiful and sexy though so I'd never touch that!

Did you pay for your wonky brazilian Smuterella???!! I thank the lord for making Nair :eusa_clap

Miss Hannah; you are most definately not insane. Ever since I was very very young I have had an 'interest' in shaving my legs (I have a scar on my leg from the time when I was about 6 and I 'wanted to be a grown up lady). I am, to this day, extremely disturbed by the sight of my younger cousin (by just 2 years) covering her extremely hairy legs with sheer nude tights. Ugh, it makes me almost heave thinking about it.

Johanna; you are extremely lucky not having to have to shave. I have ridiculously dark hair, and for some unknown reason, my leg/pit hair grows mega fast, I think it's the German in me. I have to shave my legs every other day or something ridiculous, that's when I'm feeling girly and wear a skirt. Over the winter I like the extra warmth I get from my leg hair lol

*hopes no boys are reading her post about body hair*

I'm not a hairy monster ok?

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
I've been using an epilator for a few months now as I was hoping it would reduce my leg hair growth a bit. It hurts but it's totally tolerable - however I get horrific ingrowing hairs from it. I bought some tendskin which supposedly gets rid of them. It's basically alcohol but they charge you £12 for it... and it does nothing and smells terrible! I really really resent having to remove my body hair and if I was a stronger woman I wouldn't do it at all. But I am a vain and insecure creature and subject to societal pressures and beauty ideals just like every other woman... so I shave and wax and epilate and curse the skies above for making a hairless body the ideal of the age I live in!! I'm even considering getting my leg hair lasered or IPL-ed. I'm seriously debating spending hundreds of pounds to remove perfectly natural normal body hair - tell me it isn't insane ladies!!

Ok, rant over :)

I'm not entirely sure what IPL is but I know from a friend that lasering is very painful and doesn't have great results as the hairs often grow back, a little finer, but then you have to have it done AGAIN!:(

I have nightmare memories of the only time I ever tried to rip my leg hairs out with waxing and EVERY SINGLE hair follicle became infected or ingrown and I had legs that looked like strawberry coloured porridge for weeks and had to wear long trousers in the baking summer sunshine. Never, ever again.......

I don't think you should spend that amount of money on it but that's just my personal opinion. I mean we all have it and if it's any consolation my legs look more like George Best's than the silken limbs of a siren if I don't shave them lol

It also depends how dark or thick your body hair is, I mean seriously mine has the power to poke through my stockings if I don't deal with it ughhh! That said if I know that I am not wearing skirts for a while I just let it grow and don't worry at all about it!

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it if I were you and go buy yourself something gorgeous with the cash instead!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
I have to shave my legs every other day or something ridiculous, that's when I'm feeling girly and wear a skirt. Over the winter I like the extra warmth I get from my leg hair lol

*hopes no boys are reading her post about body hair*

I'm not a hairy monster ok?
lol lol lol lol lol I thought I was the only person who over-wintered with their body hair!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
lol lol lol You ladies are making me die with laugher this morning!!!

I'm with ya, DollyDayDream...I don't know why I have an aversion to body hair.. (and here I am married to the guy with the hairiest legs ever, how did that happen???) I seriously cannot stand it on myself, first and foremost, and by far the thing that gets to me most is hairy arms...oy! I just got the heebs...lol

If I could wave a wand and eliminate all hair on my body except that on my head, life would be glorious!

I will say though that in the winer, I do notice my leg hair grows slower. And I wear pants a lot so I probably shave once a week. I am a strict shaver. I don't mess with that other tortuous stuff. My hair grows out like tree trunks. It's not pretty.

jayem

A-List Customer
Hm, maybe I'm the only one who likes a nice, hairy 70s man? :D

But, I do hate hair on myself. I can grow my armpit hair long enough to pluck it (I know, I'm insane), but that's about it. My legs become too scratchy and I hate the feeling. I recently bought and Emjoi epilator, so let's see how that works.

My dad used to shave with cake soap and a straight-edge. He learned it in his navy days, since they rarely had aerosol cans on aircraft carriers (too much of a hazard). He loved it, said he got a smoother shave, and continued to shave with that stuff even when he wasn't on duty.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Johanna said:
Oh no I like hairy men as well! Hairless is boring! :D Well, to me that is.

lol Agreed. This whole trend of waxed men (like in 300) weirds me out. Too much of that pre-pubescent look, for me. But I would like to find a really good razor for myself... Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner