Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cheese thread

Pompidou

One Too Many
Cheese

Lately, I've been on a kick for trying new cheeses. I discovered I now like bleu cheese. I got some fancy goat cheeses. Right now, I just got home from the deli with a tiny block of 180 day aged "Compte cheese". I was pretty ignorant on the subject, so I googled it, and I guess it's a protected region name like Bourbon and Champagne. Tastes really good. I'm hunting down Limburger cheese, because it's got such a polarized reputation that I have to experience it. Any cheese connoisseurs here? I'm not yet, but I wouldn't mind becoming one. Coffee and beer are my current two devotions, and cheese will fit right in.

HepKitty

One Too Many
In Australia they sell raw milk in health food stores under the label "Cleopatra's Bath", and say it is not for consumption, but they know people are drinking it!

Excellent!!!

Lately, I've been on a kick for trying new cheeses. I discovered I now like bleu cheese. I got some fancy goat cheeses. Right now, I just got home from the deli with a tiny block of 180 day aged "Compte cheese". I was pretty ignorant on the subject, so I googled it, and I guess it's a protected region name like Bourbon and Champagne. Tastes really good. I'm hunting down Limburger cheese, because it's got such a polarized reputation that I have to experience it. Any cheese connoisseurs here? I'm not yet, but I wouldn't mind becoming one. Coffee and beer are my current two devotions, and cheese will fit right in.

How I love goat cheese. Cheese in general. Except Esrom. Yes, avoid the Esrom. Yes the French are uptight about their cheese and wine naming systems, regions, etc. Like proper Roquefort is from Roquefort France but we silly Americans think we can get away with calling any blue cheese Roquefort AND think we're sophisticated. The nerve!!! Anyway you should go to Europe for the bread, cheese, wine, and beer. AMAZING. Oh and maybe do some sight-seeing :)

Pompidou

One Too Many
I did go to England a couple times - 7 weeks and 3 weeks in 03 and 07 respectively. I aught to broaden my horizons. I speak enough French to barely survive, which is important because I won't have people changing their language because I'm visiting. Some day. It is a goal. I almost went to France for the middle week of the 7 - we were going to take the chunnel - but it didn't pan out because of scheduling and transportation issues.

It sure enough isn't my dream job, but with decent pay, health insurance, and union benefits, it gets the job done. What I do isn't bad and 2 of my very best friends work along side me all day. So, it sure could be a lot worse haha. I make cheese for McDonald's and Burger King for example.

dnjan

One Too Many
Anyway you should go to Europe for the bread, cheese, wine, and beer. AMAZING. Oh and maybe do some sight-seeing :)

A gastrotourist! Someone after my own heart.

When we went to Italy last summer, the first Italian I learned (after please and thank-you) were how to ask for a cheese plate, a sausage plate and a seafood plate. Getting adventurous, I also learned how to ask for the appetizer as half cheese and half sausage.
And of course the necessary wine words: red, white, and full, half or quarter litre carafe.

The semi-soft, everyday cheeses (wish I could remember the names) were wonderful!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Oh, i wish i hadn't stumbled on this thread as i'm down to my last shavings of parmesan and pecorino and anxiously waiting for my sister to come and bring me supplies when she comes and visits!

dnjan - I totally agree with you, the everyday cheeses in Italy are superb. I like it that when i am back home you can just go into the local grocers and they will cut you a hunk of cheese or prosciutto or whatever, a hunk of bread and hand it to you in a napkin over the counter! Mmm.

HepKitty

One Too Many
As part of our Anglo-Saxon/Viking re-enactment display, we make cheese - just about to try raw milk cheese, but one of the big favourites so far is beer cheese.
Essential recipe, you warm some milk to blood heat, you add beer, you allow it to separate into curds, you drain and press.
Best eaten as a fresh cheese but it is ever so good.....:D

What's the best kind of beer to use? Fat percentage in the milk? Do you add any salt? How long does it take to make?

thank you :)

btw I recently got to try Shropshire and loved it! Speaking of blue cheeses and all Pompidou :)

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have a cheese farm down the road from me. Small family affair. They make lovely cheeses infused with local natural products such as nettles; sage; rosehip; Northumbrian ales and rum....YUM!!

HepKitty

One Too Many
I have a cheese farm down the road from me. Small family affair. They make lovely cheeses infused with local natural products such as nettles; sage; rosehip; Northumbrian ales and rum....YUM!!

Sounds delish, lucky you!

Nice new avatar pic btw :)

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Cheese Anyone?

I am a Cheese man! Are there other Cheese Men/ Women out in the FL?

My Favourites Below!

Blue
imgres

Cranberry White Stilton

imgres

Brie

imgres

Much more...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member