Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cheese thread

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I find getting the right cracker to put under the cheese harder than getting the cheese itself!
Very true. Luckily the staff at my local fromagerie is very good with matching recommendations for crackers and wine. I don't do nearly as well on my own.

And sometimes I'll simply use the crust of an artisan bread.

DNO

One Too Many
Old Cheddar...the older the better. There are several local cheese makers that produce a nice old cheddar.

Any sharp blue cheese...Stilton, Danish blue etc...is great. A sharp Provolone is hard to turn down as well. I guess I just like cheese! Not too keen on the soft cheeses, though.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Old Cheddar...the older the better. There are several local cheese makers that produce a nice old cheddar.

Any sharp blue cheese...Stilton, Danish blue etc...is great. A sharp Provolone is hard to turn down as well. I guess I just like cheese! Not too keen on the soft cheeses, though.

Danish Blue!!! YUM!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Very true. Luckily the staff at my local fromagerie is very good with matching recommendations for crackers and wine. I don't do nearly as well on my own.

And sometimes I'll simply use the crust of an artisan bread.

It's hard to beat good bread with cheese. I like how in French restaurants you usually get bread with the cheese course instead of crackers, although by that point I have eaten too much to face bread!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I was turned on to Tillamook by a friend of mine that toured the factory.
I really love the Cheddar, but due to the fat content I don't get it often.
John and Tomasso, my wife had the same thing happen even though I warned her. :)
It may sound like I'm a health nut, but I'm not. I like to stay in the clothes I have and I'm trying to keep my wife healthier than she used to be, at her request (most of the time!).
Of the two pizza's I make each week for my wife and I, one has smoked provolone for the pepperoni and sausage, the other has reduced fat cheddar for the SW chicken with corn. Both come out very well and they lack the sodium and fat you'd get at Pizza Hut.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Tillamook is sold here as one of the "normal" cheeses and as far as normal goes, it's all I will buy. Kraft and the cheaper brands don't do it for me. I guess Gossamer from Logan UT (I think ) isn't bad but if I have my choice, it's Tillamook all the way. :eek:fftopic: their ice cream is great too

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I didn't feel up to reading this entire thread so ignore me if someone has already mentioned it, but . . . there simply is nothing like five-year-old Cougar Gold! You buy a tin a year and put them in the back of the fridge. When it reaches the five year mark, break out a couple of bottles of vintage port, some hot, salted pecans or walnuts, open the can and invite your more appreciative friends over. It is beyond wonderful.

dnjan

One Too Many
I didn't feel up to reading this entire thread so ignore me if someone has already mentioned it, but . . . there simply is nothing like five-year-old Cougar Gold! You buy a tin a year and put them in the back of the fridge. When it reaches the five year mark, break out a couple of bottles of vintage port, some hot, salted pecans or walnuts, open the can and invite your more appreciative friends over. It is beyond wonderful.
I can't believe you would compromise a vintage port occaision with cheese and salted nuts.

HepKitty

One Too Many

I think Cougar Gold was mentioned. Good stuff. Expensive though, last I knew like $22/round. Heading up to that area in a couple of weeks will try to get some to bring home

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I just had brie on a toasted everything bagel. Yummy!!!

I was tempted to top it with a bit of smoked salmon and chives but..................

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo