Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I didn’t know about The Conversion Corral so I started another thread about my first conversion. I’ve copied it from my original post.

Well I took a leap of faith this morning and I decide to modify/convert my first hat. The weather will soon be changing here in South Carolina and it gets really hot during the summer. I wanted a good straw fedora that I could wear anywhere. I really like the look of the Stratoliner Milan and it has the proportions that I’m looking for. So I copied it a little. I really think that a 2 1/2” brim looks best on me and my PFG/Columbia straw had a 3 1/4” brim. That’s great for yard work but when I’m out around town I felt the brim was just to big for my liking. So I cut it down today to 2 1/2”. After measuring, marking and cutting I added some extra insurance of waterproof glue to the edge by the stitching to make sure the straw would not unravel. Here are some before and after pictures. I’m pleased with the way it turned out which means it will get a lot more head time in the coming months.

Steven
596c59b6-496b-40c2-98c4-402fa21860d6-jpeg.105554

5b8bb720-293d-4771-afcb-651075e61cde-jpeg.105552

5588c21c-5942-4d3a-8946-fc1ea2902452-jpeg.105551

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the kind words. I didn’t know about The Conversion Corral so I copied this thread and posted it there as well. Thanks again.

Steven
Greetings Cougar:
Nice undertaking. I’m curious if you rimmed the entire brim cut with the waterproof glue. Also, what brand glue. I’ll file this in the diy for later. It will be interesting to see how it ages.
Be well. Bowen

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Bowen I applied the glue around the entire edge/rim of the hat brim. Everyone might laugh at the glue but it worked really well. It Elmer’s Wood Glue Max. It’s waterproof, it has a slight tan color when dry and it’s sandable. I figured with straw being in the “wood family” it was a perfect choice. :) I also sanded the edge when it was dry to smooth out any fibers. Here are some pictures.

Steven

50FC853E-A230-4E6B-82D7-15F2194A8CF3.jpeg
D3B9B6D4-454C-4F3D-8555-BA589DA5ADF3.jpeg
96DD3C43-08A6-4F2B-8532-5CADC8B39602.jpeg

RJR

Bowen I applied the glue around the entire edge/rim of the hat brim. Everyone might laugh at the glue but it worked really well. It Elmer’s Wood Glue Max. It’s waterproof, it has a slight tan color when dry and it’s sandable. I figured with straw being in the “wood family” it was a perfect choice. :) I also sanded the edge when it was dry to smooth out any fibers. Here are some pictures.

Steven

View attachment 105574 View attachment 105575 View attachment 105576
Nice job.

Kiowa Bill

One of the Regulars
Stetson 3x vintage early 60s . Lot of work on this one starting with getting it washed a couple of times to soften up the felt to make it more pliable. Trimmed the brim to a healthy 2 3/4 and forsake a traditional binding for a triple stitch brim finish. Color of felt is a light green sage, crown ribbon is a grey sage w a vintage wind cord . Also resized this up from an 7 1/8 to a 7 3/8 now. Liner is the embroidered type. (This one is up for grabs PM me if interested)
Thanks

View attachment 104748 View attachment 104749 View attachment 104750 View attachment 104751 View attachment 104752
View attachment 104753

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great hat. Wonderful job.
Just found this. It's great. I am going to try my first conversion. You have given me the boost I needed. Thank you. If I can do one quarter as well as yours, I will be very happy. And so will my wife. Saves money.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Wow!

67 Cougars, (had about 6 of them in getting 2 to actually run, but kept the 289s)
South Carolina (loved living there.)
and good hats.
We have a lot in common.
I like what you did with the hat.

Fed

Thanks Fed I’m pleased with my hat. I wore it more today than I have in the year that I’ve owned it. As far as the Cougars go we have 4 currently. 1967 390 6.5 Litre, two 1968 XR7G’s one 390 6.5 Litre sunroof and the other XR7G is a 302 5.0 Litre. All are as they left the factory except my standard 1968. I’m in the process of converting it into a convertible using a 1968 Mustang convertible as a donor car.

Steven

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Steven

View attachment 105574 View attachment 105575 View attachment 105576
Greetings Cougar:
Pretty sweet job! Looks very nice. I ‘ll bet the straw helped by sucking it up. Smart!
Keep us posted how it does.
Bet that 302 winds up pretty quick!!
Be well. Bowen

Just Jim

A-List Customer
Getting fur from Scotties is taking your life into your hands...:confused:
My boy catches and holds badgers--claims it is a cultural thing. I take them away and deal with them. Brushing him is nothing next to that.

I think scottie fur felts better than Sheltie or Aussie, the fibers lock together like beaver. 'Course, it does have a doggie smell in the rain. . . .

MagicMan

New in Town
I didn’t know about The Conversion Corral so I started another thread about my first conversion. I’ve copied it from my original post.

Well I took a leap of faith this morning and I decide to modify/convert my first hat. The weather will soon be changing here in South Carolina and it gets really hot during the summer. I wanted a good straw fedora that I could wear anywhere. I really like the look of the Stratoliner Milan and it has the proportions that I’m looking for. So I copied it a little. I really think that a 2 1/2” brim looks best on me and my PFG/Columbia straw had a 3 1/4” brim. That’s great for yard work but when I’m out around town I felt the brim was just to big for my liking. So I cut it down today to 2 1/2”. After measuring, marking and cutting I added some extra insurance of waterproof glue to the edge by the stitching to make sure the straw would not unravel. Here are some before and after pictures. I’m pleased with the way it turned out which means it will get a lot more head time in the coming months.

Steven
Very nicely done, sir. I'm just a little bit north of you here in eastern NC where it gets just as hot as South Cackalacky does. I may have to try modifying a Columbia straw like that also.

MagicMan

New in Town

Steven

That waterproof glue and sanding is a brilliant idea!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy