Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dress Shirt Pocket Poll

Do you prefer the pocket?

• Pocket

Votes: 58 72.5%
  • No Pocket

Votes: 22 27.5%

• Total voters

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I've never been a fan of dress shirts that don't have at least one pocket to toss a pen or a phone into at the spur of the moment. If I'm out without a vest and just gotta find a spot for something like a comb, pants pockets just don't cut it in a pinch. I need that dress shirt pocket.

I know many men think the cleaner look of a shirt that has nothing on the front other than buttons is dressier, and it is if you are wearing the shirt with a tuxedo, but day in day out shirt wear to me, means you need that extra spot for that small notepad.

What do you think?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No pocket for dress shirts.

Crazy asymmetrical pockets for chambray and other work shirts :D

I have six vintage european pull-over dress shirts and not one of them has pockets.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Utility - Dress shirts are prefered with a pocket. I now have to utilize reading glasses. (Not pleased with this part of aging.) The chest pocket on a dress shirt works well for holding the glasses at my desk while I move around papers. Move around papaers and then back on my head. Interruption and the glasses go back in the pocket with one bow out.

Style - Dress shirts with a pocket require some extra attention when crafting. I prefer the fabric to 100% matched to the body. Patterns on dress shirts abosolutely need 100% matched to pattern on body. Pockets come in different styles. The corners, from different bespoke makers are options as (less frequently) well as sizes of the pockets. Being small of stature, I appreciate that the shirts are proportionate and therby, IMO, look sharp. The pockets then do not offer crazy contrast with a thinner tie or other items.

Placement of the pocket I am picky about. How many of us have a dress shirt with the pocket too low? Man that is just unacceptable.

If I wear a sweater vest or a blazer/jacket, the pocket issue is mute. The pocket gets hidden.

Phone - I do not know about you folks, but my Iphone is big enough to make the shirt hang funny. I do find that heavier items belong on the chest pocket.

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

m0nk

One Too Many
I like pockets for daily wear. The only shirts I have without pockets are more of the standard "informal" and "formal" wear dress. I'll wear those only for evenings out or special events. Otherwise, pockets are a must since I always seem to have more to carry than I have pockets for (altoids, cigars, cutter, lighter, wallet, phone, pocket square, keys, etc).

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Dress shirt definately no pocket IMHO, a dress shirt to me is to be worn with a tuxedo etc, however I prefer to have at least one pocket on (usually the left) on my shirts, two on a work or western shirt...and I really wish all shirts came with snaps like on most 'western' shirts even 'dress' shirts should have them down the front as I've lost count how many studs I've lost whilst dancing!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
With double (French) cuffs, no; but with barrel cuffs, yes......

But then they're usually button down collar with double pockets and button flaps. Lord, I have a hundred if I have one, in a myriad of colors/fabrics.

Royal oxford cloth is a favorite.

Shoes037.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
With double (French) cuffs, no; but with barrel cuffs, yes......

But then they're usually button down collar with double pockets and button flaps. Lord, I have a hundred if I have one, in a myriad of colors/fabrics.

Royal oxford cloth is a favorite.

Shoes037.jpg

Wow, that shirt is extremely nice, not only the material itself but the color really stands out.

I have different dress shirts with and without pockets, I do prefer at least on pocket on a dress shirt, (not so much with a "formal" shirt for tux) but I think the shirt with a pocket on it does add to the overall look in a positive way. Wearing a dress shirt with a jacket or suit, you do have pockets aside from what may be on a shirt. However, to have that pocket on the shirt seems to be the very first place I prefer to install someone's business card if given to me or a small list of what I may need to pick up while out and about for shopping issues.

I tend to do some extra creases on a shirt while ironing it, and the pocket or pockets on a dress shirt being creased right dead center going up the front of the shirt and then dead center going across them, make the shirt (in my opinion) have a sharper look to it. I tend to iron all my shirts in the same way even if they have no pockets there, even a button up casual shirt.

RobStC

A-List Customer
No doubt the pocket can be useful, but for me the clean lines of 'no pocket' win every time. Having said that, I pretty much always wear a jacket when out and about, and I don't work in an office etc. environment, where carrying something in the pocket would be either necessary or useful..... So I simply don't need the pocket!

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I always used to wear pocketed dress shirts, and used the pocket. But years of having them too low, baggy, awkwardly sized, finally got to me. The clean lines and smooth elegance of a pocketless shirt won me over... Bit of an adjustment not having a place for a pencil, small notebook, glasses, etc, but I got over it soon enough. With barrel cuffs it's okay (when executed properly) but definitely not french cuffs.

SteveAS

Practically Family
I really like having a pocket on a shirt for business/daily wear; as Matt suggested, it's nice to be able to use it now and then.

Is a shirt pocket really inelegant? If an empty pocket on the front of a dress or sport shirt is the most inelegant part of your attire, you're a long way more elegantly dressed than anyone I encounter!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I prefer the look of no pockets, but I have to admit the pocket frequently proves extremely practical. I tend to wear waistcoats more often than not, which more than compensates for this of course.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Isn't it there for your smokes...I know I'm going to hear it from the nonsmoking faction put them in the garbage,my only reply is that somebody has to pay the taxes in this country(haha)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran