Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dress Shirt Pocket Poll

Do you prefer the pocket?

• Pocket

Votes: 58 72.5%
  • No Pocket

Votes: 22 27.5%

• Total voters

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
hmm the OP was about pockets on 'dress' shirts...I'd take dress shirt to mean a shirt worn with evening attire/ tux etc and to me such shirts are never worn with a pocket on them...maybe dress shirt has a slightly different meaning in Europe/ UK and the USA?

If we are talking about pockets on shirts in general then yes I love em especially two with flaps, scalloped or assymetrical all are good.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
it was above 115 Degrees F somewhere around 10 days. I've worn a jacket about 10 times this year and it's Thanksgiving!!!
Ah, see I wear a suit/sportjacket no matter the temp. In hellacious heat I reach for the linen.

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
I've got to agree with Matt, pockets on dress shirts are a must for me, any shirt for that matter. I wear a tux only occasionally, but wear suits all the time. To me the shirts I wear with a suit are "dress" shirts. That's just how I've titled them and a requirement is a pocket. Gotta have it to stow my reading glasses and pen.

Aoresteen

New in Town
No pockets on dress & formal shirts for me. Need a pocket? Wear a vest :) After I ruined a could of shirts with leaky pens, no more pockets for me.

For years I would carefully remove the pocket from the shirt with a razor blade right after I bought it and then have it laundered. You could never tell that it had a pocket to start with.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
At least one pocket on a dress shirt is an absolute must. For one thing, that's the best place to safely place folding money, on the spur of the moment, until I have a chance to place it in my billfold!

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
At least one pocket on a dress shirt is an absolute must. For one thing, that's the best place to safely place folding money, on the spur of the moment, until I have a chance to place it in my billfold!
Wow you should post on the who's a millionaire thread,folding money?I haven't seen that since I married a horse lady(haha)

I guess it depends on how dressy of a shirt. If I'm in a tux, a pocket would look silly. With a suit, it's nice, because you can keep business cards or something handy.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
hmm the OP was about pockets on 'dress' shirts...I'd take dress shirt to mean a shirt worn with evening attire/ tux etc and to me such shirts are never worn with a pocket on them...maybe dress shirt has a slightly different meaning in Europe/ UK and the USA?

If we are talking about pockets on shirts in general then yes I love em especially two with flaps, scalloped or assymetrical all are good.

In North America, the term "dress shirt" is typically taken to mean a collared shirt that's worn with a sport coat, blazer or suit. The shirts for evening wear are typically referred to as "tuxedo shirts" and they never have pockets (or SHOULD never have pockets anyways!)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
At my age I am totally helpless without my reading glasses with me at ALL times. And they need to be in the breast pocket. I've bought a couple of shirts recently (especially from one of the Ralph Lauren lines) that didn't have pockets, which I didn't realise till I had taken the shirts out of the wrapping and tossed the wrapping out. I was FURIOUS.
But from a purely aesthetic view, I'm agnostic on the subject.
To add to the "dress shirt definition" side bar, I call a shirt a dress shirt if it's one that can be worn with a tie and suit coat. For a dinner jacket, I'd call it a formal dress shirt.
And while we're talking about it, do our memebers differentiate between a shirt they'd wear with a black dinner jacket (I like a turn down collar ruffle front type), as opposed to a white summer weight jacket? As I recall Bogie seems to be wearing a simple flat front white shirt with his legendary, iconic, holy grail, jacket in Casablanca. I tend to wear that type of shirt with the white DJ.
Thoughts, gentlemen?

dnjan

One Too Many
The pocket (my left side) is where I keep my commuter pass and the occaisional shopping list.
I have no use for a right-side pocket, however.
So pocket, yes. Pockets, no.

As far as a previous comment about a conflict between suspenders and the shirt pocket, I have only had that happen if I try to put too much "other stuff" in the shirt pocket.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Defintiely a pocket, usually for my reading glasses sans case, and a pen. That frees up my waistcoat, and internal suit jacket, pockets for heavier stuff such as a phone, ipod, and whathaveyou.

I've never been a fan of dress shirts that don't have at least one pocket to toss a pen or a phone into at the spur of the moment. If I'm out without a vest and just gotta find a spot for something like a comb, pants pockets just don't cut it in a pinch. I need that dress shirt pocket.

I know many men think the cleaner look of a shirt that has nothing on the front other than buttons is dressier, and it is if you are wearing the shirt with a tuxedo, but day in day out shirt wear to me, means you need that extra spot for that small notepad.

What do you think?

I like pockets on dress shirts but not formal shirts. Actually i even prefer golf shirts that have pockets. I can put a cell phone in it and actually hear it when it rings.

Edward

Bartender
Casual shirts - yes.

Shirts being worn in the absence of a waistcoat- yes, if I want to hang my jacket in the office and keep a pen to hand, though I prefer without as a matter of aesthetics.

Formalwear shirts - are you outta yer mind?

I think that about covers it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic