Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Green Machine

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, Fantastic old J.C. Penny Co. Homburg!

I had no idea Marathon hats went back that far. I have Whippet clone from the early 50s. This one is just fantastic.

+1 to that!

Josh, a beauty, really. Fantastic find!

Thanks so much, Gentlemen!!

Orangegrad, as far as I know, Marathon hats go back to the 20's, if not the late teens.

Here's a Marathon ad from 1925

1925Marathon.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Here's the older of my green hats, a olive Crofut & Knapp w/ a 2 1/4" brim that I purchased one day in 1997 at Meyer the Hatter:
In profile:
DSCN0243.jpg

Inside (no liner):
DSCN02442.jpg

From above:
DSCN02424.jpg

It always fit a little loosely on my size 7 head, so I padded the sweatband. It still seemed a little loose on me, so I've never worn it as much as other hats. Imagine my surprise a few months back when I turned down the sweat to find a 7 1/4 tag!

The weird thing is, now it conforms to my head a little better. I like its full-ish crown and narrow ribbon.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
My green Keen's British fedora, circa 1950s more or less, to my knowledge. Brim is 2 1/8 inches, crown is about six inches open, 4 1/2 inches as it is creased now, I've changed it since these pictures were taken.

I've changed the crease to more of a C-crown or pinched telescope, or somewhere in between. It's got a Cavanagh edge, too.

As you can see, it's unlined and the ribbon needs to be replaced, as the bow is half fallen off, plus it has a few moth bites here and there, but I got it for only thirty bucks on eBay, and the felt seems to be very high quality, so I like it.

Like Benzadmiral, this hat is a bit too big on me, at 7 1/2, but it's not too big to be uncomfortable, and it's still one of my favorite hats, I just really need to have that ribbon replaced.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
OG, what a gorgeous forresty hue on that Pesca (fish?).

I think today's clouds finally allowed me to get an accurate rendition of the color of this Lee silver label homburg in photo.

008ie.jpg

009lb.jpg

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Thank you Bman, someone told me they thought it meant Peach. I know it has the feel of peach fuzz.....

You have quite a collection of Homburgs and bowlers and wear them well.......

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Bman, someone told me they thought it meant Peach. I know it has the feel of peach fuzz.....

OG, "Pesca" translates into "fishing" according to google.

Green is the final color I need to complete my hat palette, I've come close to the score several times but still "pesca". This thread is a real tease and leaves me wanting.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Jeff

A green hat supposedly denotes a cuckold in China :D

I resemble that proverb so don't know why I'm having such a hard time finding my own green lid. Had a beautiful Champ that wouldn't fit no matter how hard I tried and so was traded. I do have a another VERY stingy Champ milan that doesn't count.

Nice trio of green felts Richard. The Tonak has a mighty raw edge for sure.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Admittedly, I had to look the word up. Mike according to Wikipedia, if you fit the first definition, then sorry to hear it, and if the second, then congratulations-- whatever works! ;) Although I suspect you're referring simply to being "cuckoo" like the rest of us here.

Thanks Jeff

A green hat supposedly denotes a cuckold in China :D

Just for the record, I have never encountered anyone actually from China, or descended from China, or any of Asia that was aware of this belief. I have inquired of several folks who might have some perspective, or Asian lineage, to no avail. Could be the start of another hat etiquette/propriety conversation...but IN CHINA! (Is the Lounge online in that country?)

Can the origin of this thought be verified?

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Admittedly, I had to look the word up. Mike according to Wikipedia, if you fit the first definition, then sorry to hear it, and if the second, then congratulations-- whatever works! ;) Although I suspect you're referring simply to being "cuckoo" like the rest of us here.

OOPS! Jeff, unlike you I just took the word in it's apparent context and ended up with my foot in my mouth. While I may be a flaming liberal I want to go on record I don't endorse cuckholdry! Nor thankfully, am I a victim. I think................

Charlie, apparently it's verifiable enough to be in Webster's although there is no mention of green hats which may be your point. Wish I'd consulted the dictionary before replying and making the joke on me. Learn something new everyday.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link and info, ManO. Mystery solved!
And you are correct, Mike. My point of inquiry was about the green hat concept in China. I had read just enough Chaucer in High School English Lit. class to know about cuckolds. Although I though the word was a verb...

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you for the link and info, ManO. Mystery solved!
And you are correct, Mike. My point of inquiry was about the green hat concept in China. I had read just enough Chaucer in High School English Lit. class to know about cuckolds. Although I though the word was a verb...

Both a noun and verb.

With China being such a vast country the play on words might be restricted to certain regions. Anyway it didn't stop me buying another green hat today - well a very dark olive at least:

Olney Crushable Fur-felt

Both a noun and verb.

With China being such a vast country the play on words might be restricted to certain regions. Anyway it didn't stop me buying another green hat today - well a very dark olive at least:

Carry on, greens! In a show of confidence, and also because I am several thousand miles from China, I put on a M&K Custom Hatters Green gray. Today is somewhat overcast, but bright... amazing how the felt color interacts with the ribbon color in this light.

IMG_3529.jpg IMG_3533.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou